Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:37 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onglet39 View Post
Using my phone, so this is a brief place holder for later.

I'm thinking that at 40 and beyond, one needs to be able to answer a couple of basic questions in order to have a succesful relationship: who are you? What are you about?

Who you are isn't answered by your job, by your recreational activites, by parental status, by race or by age. It's not an easy question, really. It didn't matter in ones 20s or 30s, bt it matters more as you get older. When you are 30, "I just like hanging you with so and so" is enough, but it is t anymore.

Sure, a lot of people - especially men because they can, but women do it too - avoid the issue by dating younger. I have occasionally dabbled with younger men, and it absolutley is a real benefit to dating htem. It's easier. There's no unspoken question "who are you" to answer. Men really benefit from this, because they can show their accomplishments to a younger woman; she's not yet reached he stage where she's wondering who you are as it relates to personal character.

At this point though it is very glaring when a person can't answer the question; and we know it even if he question isn't asked.
I think a person is what they do. They that do that job because there are characteristics they have that are suited for the job.

I should look up the reference, but I remember a quote along the lines of "Tell me what you do, and I'll show you who you are."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 02:43 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robee70 View Post
No they do not completely define who you are, but paradoxically, they do say a lot about who you are & your journey; your work ethic, your family ethic, your drive, your ambition, all the choices you have made career-wise & family-wise to date.

Where you are today at 40 is not incidental but a result of your choices & your character. Now at 40, you have the benefit of hindsight and experience yet you are still young enough to enjoy life and look forward to many more great experiences to come.
Fair enough, I do see your point. It's a biT of an expansion on the question: who are you. I'm thinking that perhaps, ones answer to the question wouldn't be to state their job, or parental status, or ethnicity. Instead, here are some of the factors which explain WHY one answers the question in the way one does.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I think a person is what they do. They that do that job because there are characteristics they have that are suited for the job.

I should look up the reference, but I remember a quote along the lines of "Tell me what you do, and I'll show you who you are."
I would be very interested in the source and intent behind that quote. It's easy to get behind if you like what you do. But what if you don't? Maybe the fact that you are willing to grind out a job you don't really like counts for more character than having the job itself?

Old 04-03-2010, 02:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Does answering, "I'm a proud mother, my kids are my world" say much?
You could do a study on that. Try answering that different ways and see how things go, how different men react to the different answers.

1. "I'm childless, my career is my world".

2. "I'm childless, sex and travel and parties are my world".

3. "I'm a proud mother of one child, my kid is my world".

4. "I'm a proud mother of 7 children, they are my world".

Old 04-03-2010, 02:52 PM

383 posts, read 900,551 times
Quote:
I can only see a FAT or UGLY women supporting a unemployed man
And I can see only weak willed or vapid men supporting women. This is the 21rst century, pay your own way, sugar.

Quote:
BTW, which two styles of TKD do you study?
ITF and WTF. I prefer ITF. WTF just teaches you how to win martial arts tournaments, ITF's focused on self defense.

Old 04-03-2010, 02:58 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRedRain View Post
And I can see only weak willed or vapid men supporting women. This is the 21rst century, pay your own way, sugar.

ITF and WTF. I prefer ITF. WTF just teaches you how to win martial arts tournaments, ITF's focused on self defense.

Men are expected to support the women

Old 04-03-2010, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You could do a study on that. Try answering that different ways and see how things go, how different men react to the different answers.

1. "I'm childless, my career is my world".

2. "I'm childless, sex and travel and parties are my world".

3. "I'm a proud mother of one child, my kid is my world".

4. "I'm a proud mother of 7 children, they are my world".
I think that a statement really works when I can be viewed positively on it's own, rather than being viewed as better than a number of alternatives. Sure, having loving children is probably more fulfilling than flying to Ibiza to have anonymous sex in the back of a nightclub... But is THAT what makes you a better person? Is that who you are: a woman who is enjoys her home life enough that she DOESNT want to have sex in a nightclub in Ibiza?

I don't have kids, but there are a number of other things about me which are great compared to the alternatives. I am thinking it does not.

My guess is, the best things about who you are don't have to be compared to something worse. They just stand on their own.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:18 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Because i never heard of a PRETTY WOMEN supporting a grown man. Years ago when I graduated college, a pretty women didn't want to date me because I had no car-lol But a oman who was not that pretty was ok with it
Boy, there's a LOT you have never heard of, isn't there?

Old 04-03-2010, 03:30 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,982,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRedRain View Post

Okay.
Was just wondering.
i am more drawn to the more practical combat oriented disciplines myself.
I studied TKD for a while years ago.
I think it was WTF though.
They were always on us about trying to win trophies.
I left after that.

My home art is JKD and Modified JKD. With a little Shoto and Kempo thrown in.
Aikijujutsu is my dream though.

That or Liu He Ba Fa I thinks its called.

BTW, your first statement was hilarious.
Weak willed and vapid men.
Lolz.

Old 04-03-2010, 03:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
Quote:
I would be very interested in the source and intent behind that quote. It's easy to get behind if you like what you do. But what if you don't? Maybe the fact that you are willing to grind out a job you don't really like counts for more character than having the job itself?
Most people would not stay in a job that they had no talent for, or the necessary characteristics for. I was in market research for all of a week. It didn't suit me, and so I ddin't remain in the job.

But I have frequently found myself working with freight and stocking shelves. Why? Because I have characteristics that allow me to excel at that job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships