Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2016, 10:54 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,865,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Don't worry, old horse, I think he belongs to us...
Really old beast?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2016, 11:06 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
Demons and Satan are recognized in many religions around the world, not just Christianity.
When a man insists on neglecting God in rebellion , he is with out God's influence, and thus subject by that rebellion that identifies with Satan and the fallen angels.(demons)
Jesus said," Satan is a liar and the father of it." a rebellious one's inspiration .
Ever notice how rebellious people tend to congregate against God and morality?
You don't have to believe in him or his existence, never the less he is an influence, and there are a great many especially those of illuminati and political power that do worship Satan, and know the influence first hand, because they choose it.
God does not necessarily cause bad things to happen ,so much as there are things bound to happen, and those that are in relationship and listen to God can be instructed to move from that line of fire.
The rest, as they say, is history.
I have had my own confrontations with demons , had my losses and victories, so I know how real he is.
Temptation is one thing, but nearly being nearly choked to death is another, I do not take lightly.
Uhhh...No....

Old 07-10-2016, 01:48 PM

392 posts, read 248,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
religions around the world, not just Christianity.
Only the religion aspect of Christianity would be religion. In the same manner that a red chair is said to be red not because the chair is a spectrum of light called red.

Old 07-11-2016, 01:10 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,848,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned
No, im not. I think id know my own religious belief but thanks for trying...

here are some links for your further education:
http://www.beingjewish.com/basics/satan.html
http://www.shamash.org/lists/scj-faq...faq/12-35.html
http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/...ism/satan.html
http://www.chabad.org/library/articl...-teachings.htm
http://www.myjewishlearning.com/arti...the-adversary/

you should consult a Rabbi if you are further confused.

Last edited by june 7th; 07-15-2016 at 12:47 PM.. Reason: Per the TOS, explain WHY....

Old 07-11-2016, 01:14 AM

5,624 posts, read 6,848,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Are you sure you're not thinking of Samael? There is a difference: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samael.
no, thats a different person.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:25 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,047,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post

Does Judaism Believe in Satan?
S.C.J. FAQ: Section 12.35. Jewish Thought: What does Judaism believe about Satan?
Satan | Jewish Virtual Library
Is there any sort of Purgatory or Satan in Jewish teachings? - Questions & Answers
Satan, the Adversary - My Jewish Learning

Gee, my Jusiasm must be different from yours...Maybe your thinking of demons...Because Satan isn't really personified in Judaism the way it is in Christianity...

Old 07-11-2016, 03:51 AM

611 posts, read 281,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarantula spider View Post
I just don't understand why Satan is supposed to be a baddie but the Biblical god all that is good? The deeds attributed to god are highly unpleasant to say the least, and indicate the entity is very deranged. Although poor Satan is always badmouthed, no actual misdeeds have been attributed to him.
Satan is that spirit of deception, liars, thieves, wars...wickedness that is harbored in men.

All these wicked things men wrote about and did in the name of god is not what God desires. And I see the scriptures as evidence.

The scriptures is almost all the doings of men and lies about what God desires, they claim to be doing what God requires of them...attributed to God, yet God always appears to be displeased. And all the unpleasant misdeeds of that spirit of Satan are done by men and attributed to this displeased God.

Man turned away from God and the Garden upon Earth to their own harm. And where did the bloodshed begin? And where does it end? Today is same as the beginning, on whose hands is really all this bloodshed
we see today? O stop God, stop all this killing and wickedness while blood is dripping off our own hands? Such fools. Thou shall not kill saith the Lord, and our wicked knives are busy slaying trying to please the Lord? Yes, let us start another war to please Jesus and his God. In God we trust is our banner as we go about killing ourselves. We are very deranged, and we badmouth God because we reap as we have sown?

Old 07-11-2016, 06:30 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,047,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohky0815 View Post

Does Judaism Believe in Satan?
S.C.J. FAQ: Section 12.35. Jewish Thought: What does Judaism believe about Satan?
Satan | Jewish Virtual Library
Is there any sort of Purgatory or Satan in Jewish teachings? - Questions & Answers
Satan, the Adversary - My Jewish Learning

The majority of those websites are terrible sources of information. There are far better online resources than the ones you have listed above. I would not send anyone to those sites, to be honest with you. Not only do some of them offer plain wrong information, some of them are just personal essays with very little authority or proficiency ("beingjewish.com", for example).

If you have an actual citation from reliable Jewish sources that show a clear belief in "Satan" as "an angel", then it would be nice to see it - rather then pointing someone to misleading websites or suggesting they consult a rabbi. Otherwise, you're just trying to claim some anecdotal evidence.

If you dug a little deeper, you would probably be able to follow the thread that is Samael.

Old 07-11-2016, 08:16 AM

22,209 posts, read 19,238,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
The majority of those websites are terrible sources of information.
no, the websites Ohky furnished are reliable Jewish sources

Old 07-11-2016, 10:06 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,047,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
no, the websites Ohky furnished are reliable Jewish sources

Right... that's why the first site states this:
Satan is mentioned explicitly in Tanach (Jewish Scriptures) numerous times. At first count, so far, I have found 17 mentions of “haSatan” (“the Satan”) as a specific individual in Tanach, most of them in the Book of Job. Three are in the Book of Zechariah.
In all those 17 it is quite clear that Satan, exists, that he is an angel, and that he has a clear individuality. Just look at chapters 1 & 2 of Job, where G-d speaks to Satan, and Satan speaks to G-d.
For example:
Now the day came that the angels of G-d came to stand beside the L-rd, and the Satan, too, came among them. The L-rd said to the Satan, “Where are you coming from?” And the Satan answered the L-rd and said, “From going to and fro on the earth and from walking in it.” Now the L-rd said to the Satan, “Have you paid attention to My servant Job? For there is none like him on earth, a sincere and upright man, G-d-fearing and shunning evil.” And the Satan answered the L-rd and said, “Does Job fear G-d for nothing?” (Job 1:6-9)
(Are You Sure There's a Satan?)

Interesting that the author of the website (curious his/her name is difficult to find) states that:
In all those 17 it is quite clear that Satan, exists, that he is an angel
but nowhere "explicitly in Tanach" is he ever called a "messenger" or "angel" מַלְאָךְ , but is instead referred to as one of the "sons of God": בְּנֵי הָאֱלֹהִים . I'm sure you're well versed in Biblical Hebrew enough to know that "sons/daughters of X" denotes a class of being. Quite the difference, and quite an unreliable and misleading source, since the author claims that the "Tanach" itself explicitly states this - which it most certainly does not.

Later Jewish tradition may have explained this away as "angel" - but the peshat certainly doesn't bear this, and it is exactly this which the author of the website is claiming. Which again - is wrong, as anyone able to read Biblical Hebrew can plainly see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality