Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2018, 05:51 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
Now you're just twisting it around, and making stuff up. And those that agreed aren't that stupid...

If we have free will to choose eternal life, or our own reward.. then we do indeed have the choice.

I see through you.
We don't, if God knew before we were even conceived what we would do, unless you're saying we can surprise God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2018, 02:52 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,862,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Actually all have free will. God wants his creations to use that free will to listen to his advice to find the best path to lasting happiness. Few do.
Nothing to do with what you said. If your god made A+E to know only good but they instead chose bad, then that is clear and indisputable evidence that the product wad faulty. If a machine is supposed to draw circles and only circles but instead it draws squares, then clearly, there is something wrong with the machine.

Quote:
Mortals need to get it into their heads--the creator knows his creation better than the creation does. He is always correct.
Except when he makes mistakes.

Quote:
Amen.
Already proven wrong in post #117

Old 11-01-2018, 09:14 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Logic isn't your strong point.

The thing that separates us from the animals is free will. He knows everything that will happen. He knows everyone who will choose him. He loved us so much, that he let us make our own choices. Even to reject Him.

We who seek Him.. We will have enriched lives, etc.

We who reject him.. "Depart from me, I never knew thee."

We did not evolve.. We were created.

Hope this helps.
Yes we CAN reject him if we choose...BUT we are punished for doing that too!!! (punished by suffering for eternity in hell fire).

Like the other poster said...If there is a WRONG choice...there was NO choice to begin with.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:15 AM

6,366 posts, read 2,920,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Nothing to do with what you said. If your god made A+E to know only good but they instead chose bad, then that is clear and indisputable evidence that the product wad faulty. If a machine is supposed to draw circles and only circles but instead it draws squares, then clearly, there is something wrong with the machine.

Except when he makes mistakes.

Already proven wrong in post #117

You are falsely reasoning.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:49 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times
Quote:
You are falsely reasoning.

Lol.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:00 PM

16,784 posts, read 4,989,284 times
Quote:
Logic isn't your strong point.

The thing that separates us from the animals is free will. He knows everything that will happen. He knows everyone who will choose him. He loved us so much, that he let us make our own choices. Even to reject Him.

We who seek Him.. We will have enriched lives, etc.

We who reject him.. "Depart from me, I never knew thee."

We did not evolve.. We were created.

Hope this helps.
Logic is not YOUR strong point. If he knows what we will choose, we can not change our mind to something else. Therefore we have no free will, or your god does NOT know all that will happen. You can not have both.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:04 PM

63,818 posts, read 40,109,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Yes we CAN reject him if we choose...BUT we are punished for doing that too!!! (punished by suffering for eternity in hellfire).
Like the other poster said...If there is a WRONG choice...there was NO choice to begin with.
The Godfather choice.

Old 11-01-2018, 03:28 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,043,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Logic is not YOUR strong point. If he knows what we will choose, we can not change our mind to something else. Therefore we have no free will, or your god does NOT know all that will happen. You can not have both.
He may know but we don’t...It’s for our edification...

Old 11-01-2018, 10:04 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,013,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
He may know but we don’t...It’s for our edification...
If he already knows which way we'll go then what good will instruction do?

If he already knows, say, I'll go to hell then why teach me anything? I'm going to the worst no matter what I learn in between. If he already knows I'll go to heaven then how can teaching me help make that better? There IS nothing better to aspire to than heaven.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:11 PM

1,714 posts, read 1,150,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Now therefore, behold, the Lord hath put a lying spirit in the mouth of these thy prophets. 2 Chronicles 18:22
Ah, Lord GOD! surely thou hast greatly deceived this people. Jeremiah 4:10
O Lord, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived. Jeremiah 20:7
And if a prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the Lord have deceived that prophet. Ezekiel 14:9
For this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie. 2 Thessalonians 2:11
That's what it comes down to? Just copy and paste from the skeptics annotated bible?

Ok, let's take a look at these Scriptures:

2 Chronicles 18:22

2 Chronicles 18:19-21 indicates God allows this to occur and not that he lied.
He allows Tom, Dick, or Harry to feed falsehoods to false prophets. Falsehoods to people who have made it their trade by spewing false information. And, the people who put trust in these prophets had rejected God's own prophets. Was it morally wrong and thus deceptive? No.

Here's a different translation of Jeremiah 4:10:

"In response to all this I said, “Ah, Lord God, you have surely allowed the people of Judah and Jerusalem to be deceived by those who say, ‘You will be safe!’ But in fact a sword is already at our throats.” The majority of the people in Judah and Jerusalem had put their trust in the false prophets and rejected the warnings from God. Again similar situations as in Ahab's time. He allows people who already have it in their hearts to believe the lies after warning them. Was it morally wrong and thus deceptive? No.

Here's a translation of Ezekiel 14:9 from the Tanakh:

"But the prophet who is enticed and speaks a word-I, the Lord, have enticed that prophet, and I shall stretch out My hand upon him and destroy him from the midst of My people Israel." Again these are false prophets whose living is dealing in falsehoods. Ultimately by allowing them to continue making false prophecies there true character would be revealed. Was his action morally wrong and thus deceptive? No.

We are conditioned to think of deception as something morally wrong because it can be. However, allowing deception to occur is not in and of itself deceitful in the sense of being immoral or unethical.

What if a person or persons are not just allowing but actually involved in deceit? Example, some Jews were saved during WW2 by the bravery of some who handed out visas/passports to people that were not lawfully entitled to them. That is deception is it not? Is it morally wrong?

If the God of the Bible is the true God then the means by which he accomplishes his will is not morally wrong. Why? because ultimately Mankind has a hope of living in peace. That's the future for mankind. By the way I am one of many Christians who have come to understand that the Bible doesn't teach of an afterlife nor does it teach eternal hell fire. For many, Christians or not and regardless of race and social status, there is the eventual resurrection. For some there isn't.

Contrast that with Satan's lie. No hope. No peace, No future for anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality