Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2018, 03:13 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,351,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The government hired independent research groups and determined that the attraction would be a boost to the local economy. If there is anyone to blame, it's the government for getting the research wrong. Ken did bring jobs and thousands of visitors, but he couldn't force them to build hotels nearby so people would stay in town and shop in local businesses.

It is just sad and pathetic that the park is already being declared a complete failure just because an apparent drop in ticket sales. I imagine your side would dance with glee if someone torched the thing. Atheists just disgust me more and more.
Atheists may mock and have fun. But atheists don't determine ticket sales. I have even heard tell of atheists actually going to visit the Ark. They are going to make fun of it obviously. But, HEY, a ticket sale is a ticket sale.

The big problem of course is sustainability. How many people are going to burn their vacation time year after year to see a big boat? Once the novelty has worn off, and everyone who might conceivably be interested has made the trip, the ark is destined to become a huge white elephant. Let's face it, the Ark Experience is no Disney World.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2018, 04:45 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
Quote:
It is just sad and pathetic that the park is already being declared a complete failure just because an apparent drop in ticket sales.

Wasn't the 1984 World's Fair (World Exposition?) declared a financial failure? Unfortunately that was the only World's Fair I have ever seen.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:53 PM

10,089 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Atheists may mock and have fun. But atheists don't determine ticket sales. I have even heard tell of atheists actually going to visit the Ark. They are going to make fun of it obviously. But, HEY, a ticket sale is a ticket sale.

The big problem of course is sustainability. How many people are going to burn their vacation time year after year to see a big boat? Once the novelty has worn off, and everyone who might conceivably be interested has made the trip, the ark is destined to become a huge white elephant. Let's face it, the Ark Experience is no Disney World.
The park is constantly in the process of adding new attractions so there is incentive to visit again. BTW, Christianity is still the world's largest religion. That means potential millions and millions of visitors, plenty of business even if everyone only is a one timer.

Old 09-21-2018, 04:55 PM

10,089 posts, read 5,737,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Jeff, me boy, you asked me a question I answered. You assumed, in your words, "crickets". Well, no, I actually answered you in some length.

And then you got lost. I see you're back and posting. So...... want to answer my response to you????

Here, just in case it is easier for you to find my response, here is the link.

I'll wait, or is it my turn to say, "crickets"?
Arrogant and condescending posts tend to fall down on my priority list. Wait your turn. lol

Old 09-21-2018, 05:11 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,872,913 times
I'm not trying to be disrespectful when I say this, but this entire fiasco sounds like something from a Mark Twain story. The modern setting is like something that could have been written by a sci-fi author in the 1960's. It's bizarre that it's even taking place. It's like I'm living in a dream world.

When I was a kid I would have taken it very seriously. There were movies about searching for Noah's ark. TV shows like In Search Of hosted by Leonard Nimoy, and I respect his work even today. I wonder if there were more adults back then who took it seriously. In the first half of the 1900's I think that more Christians in American would not have even taken it seriously. They may have understood Genesis more symbolically, perhaps even in the Bible Belt states. Fundamentalism really took off in the 1970's.

Old 09-21-2018, 05:57 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,597,574 times
Quote:
Arrogant and condescending posts tend to fall down on my priority list. Wait your turn. lol
That's French for you can't respond.

I've seen others make comments about you. I now am understanding why. You act much like a petulant child, an immature teenager. You throw out challenges, ask questions, and when they are responded to in a manner you can't refute, you're like a turtle, and hide in your shell.

Jeff, how do you expect ever to learn anything? I don't think you are capable of honest debate.

I'll give you someone on here who does that well... Katzpur. I think her religious beliefs are as wacky as yours, but she is a pleasure to debate with. I won't convert her, nor she me, but I can't think of many who have had discussions with her that don't respect her.

Try and be a little more like Katzpur, and less like the Jeff, the little boy. It would suit you well. Try it. Try being cogent, try not screaming "persecution" at every turn. You may be surprised at the response.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:06 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,027,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
That's French for you can't respond.

I've seen others make comments about you. I now am understanding why. You act much like a petulant child, an immature teenager. You throw out challenges, ask questions, and when they are responded to in a manner you can't refute, you're like a turtle, and hide in your shell.

Jeff, how do you expect ever to learn anything? I don't think you are capable of honest debate.

I'll give you someone on here who does that well... Katzpur. I think her religious beliefs are as wacky as yours, but she is a pleasure to debate with. I won't convert her, nor she me, but I can't think of many who have had discussions with her that don't respect her.

Try and be a little more like Katzpur, and less like the Jeff, the little boy. It would suit you well. Try it. Try being cogent, try not screaming "persecution" at every turn. You may be surprised at the response.
What a way to win friends and influence people. Wow.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:16 PM

50,840 posts, read 24,359,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
And it HAS created jobs -- both in the construction, as well as operation. Who takes tickets? Serves food?
Cleans? Does everything else there? if you're interested, they're hiring: https://arkencounter.com/jobs/

But there are no jobs, based on what you say.

And I personally know several people that would have no reason to go to that part of the country if not for the exhibit...so sounds like they spent some tourism dollars. Hotel rooms, restaurants, etc....the cost does add up.

But you say there is no tourism.

Good grief, does it never get old? You guys are just so negative.
Okay.

So the legalization of pot in Colorado has created thousands of jobs.
It's brought in "pot tourists", thus spending tourism dollars on hotel rooms and restaurants.

So that's good. Right?

And prostitution? That creates jobs and wealth.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
The government hired independent research groups and determined that the attraction would be a boost to the local economy. If there is anyone to blame, it's the government for getting the research wrong. Ken did bring jobs and thousands of visitors, but he couldn't force them to build hotels nearby so people would stay in town and shop in local businesses.

It is just sad and pathetic that the park is already being declared a complete failure just because an apparent drop in ticket sales. I imagine your side would dance with glee if someone torched the thing. Atheists just disgust me more and more.
You know better than that.
Or, more pathetically, perhaps you don't know better than that.
Christians just disgust me more and more.

Old 09-21-2018, 06:25 PM

Quote:
The park is constantly in the process of adding new attractions so there is incentive to visit again. BTW, Christianity is still the world's largest religion. That means potential millions and millions of visitors, plenty of business even if everyone only is a one timer.
Well, it seems that christianity has now boiled down to an amusement. Congratulations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality