Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2023, 04:41 PM

14,400 posts, read 14,289,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
I hope that we still get a choice for flu shots without the mRNA of covid boosters. I do not want a cocktail mix.
You might want to read this. Getting a flu shot and the Covid vaccine at the same time is just fine.

Quote:

https://www.thehealthy.com/vaccines/...cines-at-once/

Flu shot + Covid-19 shots
Can you get them at the same time? Yes
“We’re still kind of learning what the seasonal Covid pattern is going to be,” says Ryan Maves, MD, professor of infectious diseases at Wake Forest School of Medicine and chair of the American College of Chest Physicians’ COVID-19 Task Force. About 97% of the country has Covid antibodies at this point, “so the question is: Is [the Covid vaccine] going to be like a flu shot every year? Is that going to be routine now? Probably.”

Dr. Maves adds that Covid variants continue to change more rapidly than the flu does. So the official recommendation is that everybody stay up-to-date with the latest Covid vaccine as it becomes available, which should be by the end of September 2023.

When Covid-19 vaccines were first rolling out in the United States, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommended waiting two weeks between the shots and other immunizations as a precaution, but the agency has changed course and now says you can do both at once.

“There were some concerns early on given the newness of the Covid-19 vaccines, but now we know that it is safe to get both at the same time,” says Mohammad Sobhanie, MD, an infectious disease expert at the Ohio State University Wexner Medical Center in Columbus, OH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2023, 10:47 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
The New York Times published a fascinating 3-D visualization, "An Inside Look at Covid's Lasting Damage to the Lungs". As a person with deformed upper airways, I couldn't look away.

To better understand the long-term impact of Covid’s assault on the lungs, The New York Times spoke with three patients who were hospitalized during the pandemic’s early waves, interviewed doctors who treated them and reviewed C.T. scans of their lungs over time.

One patient spent time connected to a ventilator; the other two were so debilitated they required months on a heart-lung bypass machine called ECMO. These patients were not yet vaccinated — for two, vaccines weren’t available, and the third had planned to get vaccinated but was infected before he could.

The Times analyzed hundreds of millions of data points from the patients’ scans to reconstruct their lungs in 3-D. The resulting visualization offers a vivid, visceral picture of damage that can linger years after infection and irrevocably alter everyday life.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...ng-damage.html

Old 08-30-2023, 03:43 AM

12,033 posts, read 6,563,490 times
Scary article!
But looks like it was only severe and hospitalized Covid patients who developed this extreme damage to their lungs.

Old 08-30-2023, 02:28 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times
I think there's going to be a big covid surge between now and the time the new vaccine is available. People around here are starting to wear masks, yesterday was the first day of school and that's a spreader. My sister in Williamsburg VA called and she has covid--she got the vaccine about a month ago so I guess she must have one of these new mutations.

Old 08-30-2023, 03:26 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I think there's going to be a big covid surge between now and the time the new vaccine is available. People around here are starting to wear masks, yesterday was the first day of school and that's a spreader. My sister in Williamsburg VA called and she has covid--she got the vaccine about a month ago so I guess she must have one of these new mutations.
Yep. We stopped going to the gym, and will probably start wearing masks if the numbers in our area go up much more. I just need to get the next booster.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-30-2023, 08:46 PM

23,591 posts, read 70,367,145 times
My GF got it last week. I think I avoided it, but I was the only one wearing a mask in Publix. This variant is apparently very contagious.

Old 08-30-2023, 10:13 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,949,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
Scary article!
But looks like it was only severe and hospitalized Covid patients who developed this extreme damage to their lungs.

"Only"? The three patients survived, although with varying degrees of damage. 1.1 million Americans didn't.

Old 08-31-2023, 08:31 AM

1,489 posts, read 791,580 times
I had Covid last March for the first time. It was a 2 day flu. No vax for me.

Old 08-31-2023, 02:10 PM

587 posts, read 443,289 times
My oldest daughter (a teacher) tested positive for Covid yesterday after being back with kids for a week. She said she is just congested, but otherwise feels fine. Her school has had many kids and teachers come down with Covid since school resumed.

H and I are hoping an updated vaccine will be ready before we leave for Europe mid October.

Old 08-31-2023, 02:36 PM

48,518 posts, read 34,815,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaJollaEast View Post
My oldest daughter (a teacher) tested positive for Covid yesterday after being back with kids for a week. She said she is just congested, but otherwise feels fine. Her school has had many kids and teachers come down with Covid since school resumed.

H and I are hoping an updated vaccine will be ready before we leave for Europe mid October.
We leave in for UK in October too, I'm just waiting for it to come out.

My doc was double masked earlier this week, it's because she leaves for HI next week, AND she is hearing about a lot of covid going around.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement