Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2023, 12:33 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,347,306 times

Advertisements

My DD's SO spent all of one day teaching last week and caught covid. His first time. My daughter caught it from him, although she didn't test positive until about day 5 or 6. I had hung out with her the night before she first developed symptoms, and felt a little headachy for a few days. Never tested positive, and never went on to actually get sick. Still on official covid watch (masking if need to be out) for a few more days.

My DD had covid earlier + been vaxed and boosted. A recent NYT article cited research suggesting this lowered her viral load to where she was less likely to spread it to me. (And explained the delay in her testing positive.) I hadn't been boosted in a year.

At this point we're carrying around so many immunities that its infectious impact is lessened - hopefully. Unless, of course, a substantially new variant comes along. I have a couple of important appointments in mid-September; time to once again start being more cautious I guess.

EDITED TO COMMENT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce88 View Post
I had Covid last March for the first time. It was a 2 day flu. No vax for me.
I suspect what's happening is that many are being immunologically exposed to covid and building up immunities without knowing it. That doesn't necessarily keep people from getting it but it can lessen the impact. For example, per the above I really think my immune system was being "attacked," but fought the virus off preventing active illness or a positive test, even after 2 tests about 5 days later that were 48 hours apart.

If I hadn't known I'd been exposed at the worst possible time to someone who went on to get covid, I would have thought that very mild but unusual headache for a couple of days and a few hours of being achy was nothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2023, 06:42 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post

EDITED TO COMMENT:

I suspect what's happening is that many are being immunologically exposed to covid and building up immunities without knowing it. That doesn't necessarily keep people from getting it but it can lessen the impact. For example, per the above I really think my immune system was being "attacked," but fought the virus off preventing active illness or a positive test, even after 2 tests about 5 days later that were 48 hours apart.

If I hadn't known I'd been exposed at the worst possible time to someone who went on to get covid, I would have thought that very mild but unusual headache for a couple of days and a few hours of being achy was nothing.
You also have to take into account that people are just different and react differently. My husband and I have the same vaccine regimin, pretty much did the same things. He had, in fact, tested before to see if he'd ever had COVID because he was quite ill in Jan 2019. Nothing, so we knew he never had it. Then I got COVID first and was really sick. Not hospital sick, but sick for 3 weeks. It's been 18 months and I still have some lasting symptoms in my ears of all places and mild hearing loss in the left ear. My husband never caught it from me but, at that point, he was surely exposed to my germs when I was infected. About 4 months after my infection, he caught it. While he did have symptoms for about 8 days, they were incredibly mild.

When I had my infection, at least 5 others in my office got it at the exact same time (and we were also all on the same vaccine schedule). We caught it from the same guy in the office and we all had wildly different versions of the same infection.

Old 09-06-2023, 04:58 PM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,668,329 times
Our family doctor called two Saturdays ago to check on my wife and said that she was home very sick with Covid and that several people at the practice were out with it. So Covid is once again rearing its ugly head around here.

We were at Vanderbilt Medical in Nashville yesterday and due to the reaction of my wife's immune system to cancer therapy which is being very stubborn to control, they are adding another medication to further suppress her immune system. So it looks like our life is going to continue to be rather narrow for at least the near future. Sure do miss our pre-Covid life but at this point for her to get Covid would most likely not go well at all.

So we do what we have to for now and look for a brighter tomorrow. Both our family physician here and the one at Vanderbilt wish that people would take Covid more seriously as it looks like there is a problem brewing.

Old 09-06-2023, 06:35 PM

12,043 posts, read 6,578,423 times
So sorry JRR — but sounds like your wife has exceptional doctors and medical help

N95 masks do work. A recent study was misinterpreted and now there’s media saying masks don’t work.
The study cited that the mask interventions - forcing people to wear masks - is what didn’t work, but studies show masks do help prevent infection and the best protection is N95 if used correctly.
Details in article.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/masks-...ry?id=97846561

Old 09-06-2023, 11:25 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,201,975 times
In case people don't know about this concern -- a friend is seriously ill with prostatitis associated with his recent COVID infection. It also caused Ileus which is a blocked small intestine.
So apparently Covid effects are not limited to respiratory illnesses.

Old 09-08-2023, 05:59 AM

5,330 posts, read 6,025,466 times
My physician and his spouse picked up Covid while vacationing in Alaska. He was out of the office for three weeks. I met with him yesterday, after he had two consecutive Negative Covid tests. He still had a cough, but otherwise seemed o.k. After returning home, it occurred to me that the tests aren't 100% accurate, and he was coughing. grrr.

Old 09-08-2023, 07:59 AM

5,330 posts, read 6,025,466 times
So, I went to the grocery store this morning, masked. The cashier was downright nasty to me, and I assume it was because she had to look up from her phone to ring up my items. It occurred to me after I returned home that I should have removed my mask and faked a coughing fit. I had the perfect opportunity to express my feelings without saying a word, and I blew it. I'll be ready next time.

Old 09-08-2023, 09:24 AM
JRR

8,166 posts, read 5,668,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
So, I went to the grocery store this morning, masked. The cashier was downright nasty to me, and I assume it was because she had to look up from her phone to ring up my items. It occurred to me after I returned home that I should have removed my mask and faked a coughing fit. I had the perfect opportunity to express my feelings without saying a word, and I blew it. I'll be ready next time.
More than once, we have walked into a doctor's office/medical facility and been told "Oh, you don't have to wear a mask any longer". So we say "Yes we do" and explain about my wife's suppressed immune system.

Wearing a mask around here was a huge issue during the worst of Covid and now the general feeling certainly is that Covid is not be a problem for anyone and masks are few and far between.

Old 09-08-2023, 09:47 AM

43,150 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:
You can always do curbside pickup and not have to deal with the cashiers.
Or use self checkout.

Old 09-08-2023, 10:01 AM

23,604 posts, read 70,456,777 times
Quote:
Not a good idea.

In many areas that would be considered assault, and you could be arrested.

If you knowingly do something to infect another, that is illegal. Think Typhoid Mary, HIV, perps spitting in cops faces.

If you know you aren't contagious but do it anyway, that is a terroristic action.

A simpler response might be "Why are you being so nasty?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement