Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 AM

278 posts, read 693,458 times

Advertisements

There's a miami journalist with a blog about police and cameras:
Photography is Not a Crime — It’s a First Amendment Right

i would post up your story and photos there. then file a complaint with IA and send them a link to your story on that site, otherwise they will throw your complaint in the trash.

no cop should ever be speeding without sirens and lights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2009, 10:54 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,821,217 times
Interesting topic, especially considering I have had a family member who's been hit by a speeding SAPD car when there was no 'emergency' for the officer to go to. This sort of thing happens A LOT and it's more than time for this to be exposed...

It's already been said: If a PD officer is going to speed through a light or rip through a neighborhood, they need to have lights going and sirens on. Anything less is dangerous and negligent. More times than I can remember, I've seen SAPD speed through red lights, cut people off, tailgate and several other ILLEGAL maneuvers without following proper procedure. Officers sometimes forget that a badge doesn't protect you from not using good common sense (as well forgetting department protocol).

Who's job is it to police the police? Ours. We the people. We pay taxes. They are here to serve and protect at OUR expense. As long as you know your legal rights (and perhaps have a good attorney), don't be intimidated.

BN

Old 03-10-2009, 12:13 PM

199 posts, read 663,420 times
The other day in a NW side neighborhood an SAPD police car sped behind me and weaved around me going at least 40 MPH and I was doing 25 MPH because there is an elementary school nearby. The patrol car had no lights or sirens and appeared of out nowhere behind me and weaved around my car and kept speeding down the residential street.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:19 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,392,256 times
somebody should e-mail McManus a link to this thread...

Old 03-10-2009, 09:23 PM

72 posts, read 62,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by concernedSAcitizen View Post
This evening I pulled up into my driveway as a Bexar County Sheriff's officer fled from one house down the street, and turned around with in the cul de sac with tires squealing. Furious that he would drive through our neighborhood with such recklessness, I flagged him down. I would have been satisfied with a simple apology and having him slow it down, but instead, the officer decided to escalate it.

He called two other officers to the scene! I then took pictures of him and his car, all the while he told me I could not and that I had to stop. Is San Antonio now part of China? The senior sergent who responded to the scene demanded that I hang up the phone (I believe I needed a witness) and told me that he would come back to arrest me if I posted the pics I took on the internet. When I asked him what the charge would be he ignored me and walked away.

This is at least the third time in the last month that the BCSD has sped through or past our subdivision. Sure, the argument that they could have been responding to a call exists, but the fact that they are speeding through the very streets our children play on, no emergency lights, no sirens, and here's the best part, when they get to the traffic light, they just stop, as if there is no emergency.

Many of us have noticed the increase in officers patrolling our roads, ticketing speeders. The behavior I witnessed tonight, total disregard for the law, and contempt for the safety of our children makes their "efforts" in patrolling our street seem to be more about financial gain for the department than the safety of our citizens.

I am in the process of learning my legal rights in regards to my freedom to post pictures and specific information regarding these officers on the internet. If we, as a community, band together, we can stop this recurrent and worsening behavior that our sheriff's department exhibits. Abusing the same laws they are sworn to uphold is against their oath. Their arrogance and contempt will spread as long as it goes unchecked. We need to report each of the officers we encounter to ensure the safety of our neighborhoods and maintain law and order within or sheriff's department.
wow, even when they protect and serve your area they get harassed.

you should be lucky you have police presence in the area, some areas have to wait up to 3-4 hours county officers to get to their areas. count your blessings.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
somebody should e-mail McManus a link to this thread...
william.mcmanus@sanantonio.gov or email his assistant carla.zainie@sanantonio.gov

want the assistant chiefs?

Old 03-10-2009, 09:32 PM

35 posts, read 91,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Save_Burbank View Post
wow, even when they protect and serve your area they get harassed.

you should be lucky you have police presence in the area, some areas have to wait up to 3-4 hours county officers to get to their areas. count your blessings.
When I say "patrolling our roads" I am specifically referring to 410 and 1604, with their laser guns pointed at traffic.

It is not uncommon for me to count 3 cops on a 6 mile drive. Giving tickets for driving with traffic is not what I have in mind for my tax dollars. If we have so many cops available to do that, we have too many cops.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:35 PM

yeah, but when they nab a drunk driver or make a drug bust on those same highways you may think differently. they are playing the game of odds and eventually they will nab some drunks and drugs. at which point you may not ever hear about it, but you should be happy to know they are keeping severely impaired drivers from your neighborhood and keeping dope away from your kids.

oh yeah, but according to you they do nothing.

Old 03-10-2009, 09:41 PM

if you have an issue with BCSO, I suggest you contact heir top brass. kcoleman@bexar.org and mmeachum@bexar.org

otherwise there is too much drama going on here!

Old 03-10-2009, 09:46 PM

35 posts, read 91,047 times
No one is making you read this.

I posted this because of a problem with officers trying to intimidate citizens and violating our civil rights. If you don't care, fine, move along.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio