Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area
 [Register]
Seattle area Seattle and King County Suburbs
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2011, 03:12 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,624,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaxwellSeattle View Post
We have lived in Seattle for the last 8 years. The weather is horrifyingly inconvenient and depressing. The natives really take weather as a personal attack, so they are not the right persons to ask. Seattle has many great things about it (job market, nice people, small-town charm in a mid-size city), but the weather...I just can't stress enough: you only see the sun about 35 days a year. If you're ok with that, then Seattle might be right for you. My recommendation: LISTEN to those who are not natives. They have a reference and comparison point. Natives do not.
My wife and I are not natives, and we love it here! As I said in another post it all depends on what you are comparing that winter weather to. If someone is a transplant here from year-round warm sunny places like California, Arizona, Florida, etc. then they probably will not like it here. However, those from the Midwest, northeast, etc. will find that the winters here are much more mild- and are happy to have clouds and rain/drizzle with the associated green environment over the dead looking, bitter cold environments they had back home during that same time. It's all a matter of perspective!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2011, 03:52 PM

287 posts, read 738,736 times
I love transplants to the Pacific Northwest. It's fun to tease them at how depressed they are and how hateful they are toward to our perfect weather. I born and raised my WHOLE life here in Northwest. I went to Hawaii, California, Arizona, Idaho, Montana and the east coast. Tell you what, these places are overrated.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:20 PM

236 posts, read 472,082 times
Interesting perspectives but I notice that why especially when soneone defends the weather here they always teardown somewhere else in doind so. Its even on the news they talk about the weather then immediately teardown other places or give off the impression "it could be worse" or "be happy your hear and not..." rather than just defend the point they are trying to make. Just my $.02 though.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Or3g0n View Post
I love transplants to the Pacific Northwest. It's fun to tease them at how depressed they are and how hateful they are toward to our perfect weather. I born and raised my WHOLE life here in Northwest. I went to Hawaii, California, Arizona, Idaho, Montana and the east coast. Tell you what, these places are overrated.
Hawaii overrated??????????????? First time I have ever heard that, in respects the weather. So Cal tooo. Funny when its 80 everyone including the news taks about how beautiful it is or was yet other places get that weather year round and its overrated???????? Keep in mind I am talking in regards the weather. To me So Cal has the best weather but I like sinshine 75-90 weather with little or no humidity.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:31 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,551,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irrational exuberance View Post
Hawaii overrated??????????????? First time I have ever heard that, in respects the weather. So Cal tooo. Funny when its 80 everyone including the news taks about how beautiful it is or was yet other places get that weather year round and its overrated???????? Keep in mind I am talking in regards the weather. To me So Cal has the best weather but I like sinshine 75-90 weather with little or no humidity.
He might have meant overrated in more ways than weather? I agree with you on the weather part. I live in SoCal now and also lived in Hawaii (Waikiki). Most would say SoCal has the best weather (coastal areas only), but I'll take Hawaii weather over it. Seeing the exact same weather every day in the summer kind of gets to me.

Old 07-14-2011, 04:56 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,736,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattlerain View Post
It's great that you are happy with the weather in Hawaii. I do enjoy visiting Hawaii every few years...but living with constant 88 degree weather would be miserable for me.

Everybody has different comfort levels...
Same here. That's at least 20 degrees warmer than I prefer. And actually, I prefer cooler than 68 but I know it's not realistic to expect weather that cool in most places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm miserable, plz let me View Post
Video of me today enjoying this PARADISE everyone here knows we live in, I see why this region is so liked, don't forget about how it's like SOOOOOOOO diverse.

‪July 13th in the Seattle Area! Paradise!‬‏ - YouTube
Honestly, that weather does look like paradise to me after spending all week working in a warehouse where the digital thermometer reads 99 only because it doesn't go any higher, and where stepping out into the sun is so miserable that I can't even put it into words. And this is no dry heat; the dew point is well into the 70s every day. I start hyperventilating just thinking about it. As I type this, it's the coolest it's been all week at this time of day, and the current heat index is only 103. But it's sunny and "warm", so some of you guys may like it!

Old 07-14-2011, 05:28 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,561,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irrational exuberance View Post
Yeah, I noticed the locals around here in the PNW are really defensive about the weather. Yes it sucks and they're the last to admit it. I'll take SoCal Or Hawaii weather of this place anyday. I lived in SoCal for many years and would love to go back. My more likely destination is NorCal at this point. Not a bad place to be. Hawaii maybe when I'm ready to retire.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMaxwellSeattle View Post
We have lived in Seattle for the last 8 years. The weather is horrifyingly inconvenient and depressing. The natives really take weather as a personal attack, so they are not the right persons to ask. Seattle has many great things about it (job market, nice people, small-town charm in a mid-size city), but the weather...I just can't stress enough: you only see the sun about 35 days a year. If you're ok with that, then Seattle might be right for you. My recommendation: LISTEN to those who are not natives. They have a reference and comparison point. Natives do not.
Very well put.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkpoe View Post
Considering the make-up of Seattle is something like 70% transplant, 30% native... obviously Seattle can't be too bad. And it's arrogant to assume that the Natives never been anywhere else.
Makes you wonder why 70% of the natives took off and never looked back.

Last edited by evergraystate; 07-14-2011 at 06:27 PM..

Old 07-14-2011, 05:42 PM

Evergray...love the name wife and I had a good chuckle about it

but I learned the lesson a couple years ago when I voiced concern about the weather and got destroyed on here about it. Go back far enough and you can read the back and forths. Funny because one person was lecturing me about the weather that just had moved here and moved less than a year later. Now they changed their online name and completely 180° there position about the weather here. Funny what experience and exposure does and it didnt take long but I am careful what I say about the weather. In person people dont say much but over the internet is another story. Plus Im not trying to offend anyone as you mentioned get really defensive. Its puzzling to me as well.

Last edited by irrational exuberance; 07-14-2011 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 07-14-2011, 06:01 PM

12 posts, read 19,354 times
Like I said...they take it as a personal attack.

You guys are all nice people. Please don't get me wrong.

It's not you. It's the weather. I was recruited into my current position during SeaFair weekend. 87 degrees, everyone raving, magnificent tent and food/drink spread at the hydroplane races put on by my employer--I was hooked!

Truth is--after 8 years--I'm tired of looking forward to that few and far between perfect weekend during which this glorious city radiates.

When it's good, it's great. I just need more frequently good. So we're off...very sad to leave such a great job and great friends, but we are an all-meals-outside, boating, picknicking, getting-IN-the water sort of family.

But you, the people, you're terrific!

Old 07-14-2011, 06:14 PM

Dmax

were considering the same things leave good jobs a nice house and friends and family to go somewhere else and start over. Its tough but the weather here can make those decisions a little easier to decide. We are trying to make the transition out of here as smooth as possible and that will take time. But it is to the point where we question ourselves everyday of why we still live here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Washington > Seattle area