Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 08:17 AM

4,271 posts, read 8,176,026 times

Advertisements

Morocco sucked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2018, 08:22 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
And people shouldnt get ripped off at national parks. I heard Yosemite is 30 $..
They're all $30. It's a $5 increase. The price hasn't gone up that much in the last 15 years.

An unpopular travel opinion I have is that I don't visit only tourist places or travel just to see family. Nor do I have a reason for going somewhere other than wanting to see it. I constantly get asked "Why you going to ----.", or "What are you going to ----for?", or "What's in----." I just want to throat punch people when they say that. I know it's making conversation but it sounds so close minded.

Last edited by NDak15; 07-23-2018 at 08:41 AM..

Old 07-23-2018, 08:34 AM

10,363 posts, read 7,993,227 times
My unpopular travel opinion: travel does not make a person more educated or cultured. It just makes them more traveled.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:41 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,951,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aredhel View Post
My unpopular travel opinion: travel does not make a person more educated or cultured. It just makes them more traveled.
It can make people more educated and cultured, but I think it depends on how you travel. If you're just staying at five star resorts stuffing your face with fancy food and drinking gallons of wine and don't actually see much outside of the resort, you're not truly experiencing the destination.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:50 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,717,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
It can make people more educated and cultured, but I think it depends on how you travel. If you're just staying at five star resorts stuffing your face with fancy food and drinking gallons of wine and don't actually see much outside of the resort, you're not truly experiencing the destination.
Experiencing the way locals live when you go to some sort of third world country is actually quite depressing and potentially detrimental to your health, lol.

Paid to be tortured.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Traveling generally sucks - it's all about using up barrels of oil and then claiming how you've found a great and clean place. Meanwhile, the world heats up and people die of respiratory illnesses.

It's a simple formula. What if everyone in the world went everywhere in the world? We're only about 1/10th of the way there and it sux already.

People wax poetic about Italy. I'm of Italian ancestry. There is a reason that so many Italians left the place....but they turned it into a tourist trap and now people really think they are going somewhere authentic.

The best thing you can do for the world is to stay close to home.

I'm sure that is very unpopular because people don't want to realize they are using many times their weight in fossil fuels to visit somewhere. But then they recycle a plastic water bottle that was flown from Fiji and pat themselves on the back for their sustainability.
Italy turned itself as a whole country into a humongous tourist trap.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:55 AM

27,576 posts, read 28,680,428 times
Quote:
Unless you travel like Marco Polo did, spending decades of your life in foreign lands.

I always say that when you travel in a foreign country, unless you learn the language, you really haven't experienced that country .

Old 07-23-2018, 09:07 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,037,767 times
Quote:
LOL.

Also most of those who are "Well travelled" do it at employer expense

Old 07-23-2018, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
LOL.

Also most of those who are "Well travelled" do it at employer expense
I have a friend who has to travel to boring places like factories in the Midwest for work. He doesn't consider it a perk.

Not surprisingly, he isn't more cultured than before.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:34 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I have a friend who has to travel to boring places like factories in the Midwest for work. He doesn't consider it a perk.

Not surprisingly, he isn't more cultured than before.
He should consider hanging around for harvest / barn raisings / parades / Ice Cream socials / school fund raisers / or other community events. He would definitely become 'cultured' and educated.

There are reasons people live in 'fly-over' country. I find it a informational and enlightening to ask why!

Most of my coworkers hang around the hotel and eat at chain feeding troughs. (they complain a lot, and can't wait to 'retreat' home to their 'safe-place'... the ultimate in insecurity...)

I stay on farms and assist with milking and chores (and am still ready to be at work at 8AM). I find it very interesting. (and cultured).

This another unpopular opinion... people are often more important to understand than the places (while traveling)

50+ yrs of doing this, no ill affects, yet... Maybe tomorrow

I'll take my chances and enjoy the new people I meet everyday. (Rather then the same ole hotel walls / staff / clientele... rushing to flee back to my home. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel