Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2020, 03:13 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,380,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeHoLee View Post
Some podcast sleuths found a satellite photo of Chad and Tammy's property just hours after Tylee is believed to have been buried. You can see some dark areas that indicate recently disturbed dirt which weren't there in the previous photo.

I don't remember reading in the affidavit that the police used this image, but it's very interesting isn't it, what technology can discover.

It's getting harder and harder to get away with crimes.

https://kslnewsradio.com/1927845/sat...childs-burial/
It's interesting that Chad Daybell hung around his house and didn't try to flee until the remains were discovered. It was only then that he took off, only to be arrested 3 miles down the road.

What does that say about Chad? I honestly don't know.

There were some rational reasons why he would move back into that house after Lori's arrest, and there must have been some reasonable opportunities that he could have used to take off before the FBI arrived in force.

What reason was there for him to linger? Was he so naive as to think they wouldn't ever find the remains? Was he so self-confident that he believed he could talk his way out of it? Or was he so benumbed by it all that he just didn't care what happened to him next?

I doubt he will ever provide the answers to these questions. They are only one more twist in a case that is over-loaded with twists and turns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2020, 04:29 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,248,397 times
Default What I don't understand....

Chad and Tammy had 5 children - where were they? Doesn't one live across the street?

Wouldn't someone notice the backyard being dug up?

Old 06-26-2020, 05:23 PM

1,764 posts, read 1,159,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
Chad and Tammy had 5 children - where were they? Doesn't one live across the street?

It's a large property. About 15 acres if I recall. It's a rural area with lots of farmers, so people are digging all the time.

But you're right, there was no cover to hide. It's a flat property except for the dry pond, but no bodies were buried in there. Which is strange. I would definitely use the cover of the pond hole to dig and bury where I couldn't be spotted from the road. Both graves seemed to be in plain view of a house across the road, and supposedly both kids were buried in broad daylight.

Alex was there from 9:30 am to 11:30 the day after the last sighting of Tylee, and he got there around 10 am the day after the last day JJ was seen and stayed for 17 minutes. It was dry and sunny and in the lower 70's on the day that law enforcement thinks each kid was buried with temps in the low 70's.

One of the kids did live kitty corner across the street from Chad. When he got arrested, the other adult kids who were living with Chad moved out and the one moved from across the street into Chad and Tammy's house.

There's a good photo several photos down in this article showing the layout of the property. You can see cars parked on the road have clear view of the largest gravesite near the fire ring which is where they found Tylee. Apparently Alex and Chad spent 2 - 3 hours out there mid-morning digging and burning in full view of the road and of at least one neighboring house.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...an-buried.html

Here's a zillow photo. The previous photo showed JJ's burial spot was kinda behind a tree from the road that photo showed, but on zillow it appears anyone behind that tree would be in full view of traffic from Salem Road. This was the end of September, but all the trees should have still had their leaves.

https://www.zillow.com/rexburg-id/?s...e%22%3Atrue%7D

Old 06-26-2020, 07:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,741 posts, read 58,090,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
It's interesting that Chad Daybell hung around his house and didn't try to flee until the remains were discovered. It was only then that he took off, only to be arrested 3 miles down the road.

Remember... He considers himself somewhat of a god / powerful. He probably was exercising that 'power' to dissuade the investigation / discovery (until the 'end'.) Then he just left (I doubt he was intentionally 'fleeing' ).

He will deny he 'knew' anything about what was buried there (besides the 'daytime' coon).

Old 06-26-2020, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Remember... He considers himself somewhat of a god / powerful. He probably was exercising that 'power' to dissuade the investigation / discovery (until the 'end'.) Then he just left (I doubt he was intentionally 'fleeing' ).

He will deny he 'knew' anything about what was buried there (besides the 'daytime' coon).
You think he was sitting there trying to put a death spell on the investigators? Trying to open a portal to whisk the bodies away?

Actually the 2nd one kinda makes sense. He sat there to see if the portal did his bidding this time. When he saw them take the black plastic wrapped figure out, he knew it didn't.

Old 06-26-2020, 08:34 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,959,146 times
Quote:

There were some rational reasons why he would move back into that house after Lori's arrest, and there must have been some reasonable opportunities that he could have used to take off before the FBI arrived in force.

What reason was there for him to linger? Was he so naive as to think they wouldn't ever find the remains? Was he so self-confident that he believed he could talk his way out of it? Or was he so benumbed by it all that he just didn't care what happened to him next?

I doubt he will ever provide the answers to these questions. They are only one more twist in a case that is over-loaded with twists and turns.
He thought he would never get caught. He thought he had gotten away with it and was laying low until his wife was released.

Old 06-26-2020, 09:37 PM

Quote:
You think he was sitting there trying to put a death spell on the investigators? Trying to open a portal to whisk the bodies away?

Actually the 2nd one kinda makes sense. He sat there to see if the portal did his bidding this time. When he saw them take the black plastic wrapped figure out, he knew it didn't.
Both guesses are as good as any. Chad won't ever say anything, I'm sure, so he'll remain a mystery.

I'm not LDS, but half of my family is, and I was raised half-Mormon.

I know this about the faith: They strongly believe in revelation. It is a basic Tennant of the faith. And there are a lot of the most devout LDS that have a strong hankering for a big revelation of their own.

Many of them feel the pioneers got all the best ones. Revelation is really a big deal to the most devout, and Chad and Lori were devout for sure.

The hankering makes any the need for a new revelation to be more extreme than the old ones to make a person important.
In a way, it's like Confession is to the Catholics. Every member has little things to confess in the Catholic Church, and in the LDS, everyone has a little revelation now and then. A congregation hears a few every Sunday. It's all part of faith-building.

I've never doubted Chad, Lori, or anyone in their little circle ever disbelieved Chad's revelatory powers for a second. They all believed they had powers of their own once Chad granted them the ability.

For the LDS, denying Chad had the power of revelation would be the same as an early Christian in Rome denying the Apostle Paul's revelations. It simply never happened.

Chad actually was pretty careful in his revelations. A lot of the other folks like him had much more bloody and dire revelations than his.

Old 06-26-2020, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

Sure. He was noticed. But he wasn't doing anything unusual.

Folks here often burn dead animals before burying them. It keeps local dogs on the loose from digging up the animal after its buried.

Chad's claim that he shot a big raccoon gave him plenty of alibi to light the fire and go to digging. Doing it all in full daylight was the best cover too, as the day is when that sort of stuff is supposed to be done.

That he also made a big show of burning downed limbs and other stray wood trash around the property only added to the legitimacy of the dead raccoon claim. What better time to burn all that wood was there?

Chad was a bit of a slacker when it came to keeping his property up. His neighbors probably thought he was just getting after it at last, if they thought anything at all was unusual.

But they would have grown suspicious if he and Alex Cox had done it in the middle of the night. That's the time when such activity is done by folks who are up to no good in the countryside.

Old 06-27-2020, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Sure. He was noticed. But he wasn't doing anything unusual.

Folks here often burn dead animals before burying them. It keeps local dogs on the loose from digging up the animal after its buried.

Chad's claim that he shot a big raccoon gave him plenty of alibi to light the fire and go to digging. Doing it all in full daylight was the best cover too, as the day is when that sort of stuff is supposed to be done.

That he also made a big show of burning downed limbs and other stray wood trash around the property only added to the legitimacy of the dead raccoon claim. What better time to burn all that wood was there?

Chad was a bit of a slacker when it came to keeping his property up. His neighbors probably thought he was just getting after it at last, if they thought anything at all was unusual.

But they would have grown suspicious if he and Alex Cox had done it in the middle of the night. That's the time when such activity is done by folks who are up to no good in the countryside.
I suppose they could have parked a truck in such a way to block a clear view of what they were doing. Otherwise, I don't know how they could have gotten a body wrapped in black plastic into the ground, or even a dismembered body into the fire.

You can't put a trash bag into a fire without a plume of horrendous smelling smoke, so if the dismembered body was burned, they'd have had to take parts out of bags before throwing it on the fire or the neighbors definitely would have noticed that odor like burning rubber tires. I wonder if a neighbor noticed something like that?

Old 06-27-2020, 03:11 PM

Quote:
I suppose they could have parked a truck in such a way to block a clear view of what they were doing. Otherwise, I don't know how they could have gotten a body wrapped in black plastic into the ground, or even a dismembered body into the fire.

You can't put a trash bag into a fire without a plume of horrendous smelling smoke, so if the dismembered body was burned, they'd have had to take parts out of bags before throwing it on the fire or the neighbors definitely would have noticed that odor like burning rubber tires. I wonder if a neighbor noticed something like that?
It's impossible to say what was seen or not.

But when a person isn't trying to hide anything, and it going at some task that looks normally routine, no one is likely to observe anything suspicious. Mostly because they aren't looking for it.

I have no idea how Cox and Daybell handled the bodies With an empty horse barn a few yards away, they had lots of places visible or invisible, where they could have done their work.

Farmyards collect junk like magnets, and the junk can be about anything a person can think of. Any or all of it would make camouflage.

When a junk fire is going, things always smell bad. The smell comes along with the fire. All this stuff would be unusual and curious in a city or suburb, but it's common in the country.

But in city or in the country, when someone is acting suspicious, it attracts interest.

Daybell took care to make it all seem ordinary. He was careful to shoot his gun out of sight, once, because the sound fit his raccoon alibi. Which was prepared for the possibility of someone asking him what the smell was.

I'm sure he took other measures to keep what was being buried indistinct enough to arouse no suspicion.

Don't think country folk aren't suspicious. They're normally pretty snoopy and very aware of what's happening next door in a general sort of way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > True Crime