Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2020, 04:56 AM

121 posts, read 82,769 times

Advertisements

Hello hope all is well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 05:36 AM

88 posts, read 47,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
Wow so much for their instructions to wait to be notified if benefits exhausted and/or benefit year expired and no new employment.

Which people have been trying endlessly to get through and now that some people have jobs there's no way they're going to be able to sit and try to get through on the phones all day.

Glad you were able to get through. I seriously don't think one UI worker to the next UI worker knows the rules or how to handle it. That's a big part of the problem.
For clarity, I think she meant anyone who had exhausted benefits and then got approved for extension whose benefit year happened to expire within the extension period. When I mentioned that others were able to just go online and open a new claim, she told me it's possible the system will allow it but some people randomly get flagged for manual review. Idk if there's a particular algorithm but didn't seem like it from what she said. Then again every DOL worker gives a different answer from what I've read.

She finally called back this morning and reopened my expired claim so I can continue to claim for the last 2 weeks of the extension. Which didn't make sense as opposed to opening a brand new claim for 26 weeks since my year expired. Let's see if I can open a new one after the extension expires.

Old 06-18-2020, 05:37 AM

Looking for help, not sure on how to proceed to obtain the 13-week extension....

My Situation...
1. Open UE claim 11/24/19. Don't think my claim year has ended.
2. I worked a 7 day temp assignment (Jan 2020), when finished I re-opened the same claim and started collecting again.
3. I exhausted benefits 6/13/20.
4. 2-3 weeks prior to exhaustion I received by mail "NOTICE OF EXHAUSTION OF U.E BENEFITS.....Unfortunately at this
time, no additional Federal or State Insurance is available to you through Unemployment insurance"
5. Have not received any emails, text or letters, stating i can file for the extension.

I'm a NJ resident, here is my Claim Status (same on both website).

Claim Status: Filed
Date of Claim: 11/24/2019
Remaining Balance: $0
Next Payable Week: 06/20/2020
Last Week Paid: 06/13/2020

Not sure which scenario I fall into A,B or C?
if I should try to claim on 6/20/20 (Next Payable Week) to see if I automatically enroll for the extension?
Or if I have to file a new U.E claim or a PEUC claim?
I'm assuming that my claim is still open b/c the system reflects "Next Payable Week: 06/20/2020"

Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:32 AM

3,259 posts, read 2,770,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reasons321 View Post
Looking for help, not sure on how to proceed to obtain the 13-week extension....

My Situation...
1. Open UE claim 11/24/19. Don't think my claim year has ended.
2. I worked a 7 day temp assignment (Jan 2020), when finished I re-opened the same claim and started collecting again.
3. I exhausted benefits 6/13/20.
4. 2-3 weeks prior to exhaustion I received by mail "NOTICE OF EXHAUSTION OF U.E BENEFITS.....Unfortunately at this
time, no additional Federal or State Insurance is available to you through Unemployment insurance"
5. Have not received any emails, text or letters, stating i can file for the extension.

I'm a NJ resident, here is my Claim Status (same on both website).

Claim Status: Filed
Date of Claim: 11/24/2019
Remaining Balance: $0
Next Payable Week: 06/20/2020
Last Week Paid: 06/13/2020

Not sure which scenario I fall into A,B or C?
if I should try to claim on 6/20/20 (Next Payable Week) to see if I automatically enroll for the extension?
Or if I have to file a new U.E claim or a PEUC claim?
I'm assuming that my claim is still open b/c the system reflects "Next Payable Week: 06/20/2020"

Your help will be greatly appreciated.
Your benefit year won't expire until 11/23/20, benefit years are good for 52 weeks. You won't be able to file a new claim until that point in time (if eligible). You sound like a Scenario A person who's exhausted all benefits after 7/1/19 and are in the "wait to be notified group." I'm been waiting for 3 weeks or more for notification. The form letter you got is the generic form letter generated to all claimants who are nearing the end of their benefits. This doesn't mean you're not eligible for the extension. You can start calling (good luck I've yet to get through) to see if you can get someone on the phone to assist with the extension or see what happens when you go to claim on 6/20 and see if your account has been updated with the 13 weeks and the $$$ in your account. I'm not sure if people who received extension notifications received it prior to exhausting their benefits. A lot of the initial people who were notified were those who had already exhausted benefits weeks and months back and were waiting for NJ DOL to get their act together on how to handle the extensions.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:33 AM

1,146 posts, read 862,083 times
Reasons, my situation is similar to yours. As a substitute teacher, I was only eligible for about 4 weeks of UI back in March and April, yet my co-workers are still collecting. My benefits exhausted in mid April, says filed and a next payable week is noted, but balance remains at $0. I did reach out to a Senator since I have gone weeks and still no 13 week extension. The Senator claims he has a DOL agent working on my case, but no change so far. I will email him again next week if I dont hear from DOL. This is just absurd because the Governor even said that EVERYONE who exhausted benefits this year are cleared for a 13 week extension. I just wonder IF we do NOT get these benefits owed to us, if we can deduct the amount on our taxes next year?

Old 06-18-2020, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post
Reasons, my situation is similar to yours. As a substitute teacher, I was only eligible for about 4 weeks of UI back in March and April, yet my co-workers are still collecting. My benefits exhausted in mid April, says filed and a next payable week is noted, but balance remains at $0. I did reach out to a Senator since I have gone weeks and still no 13 week extension. The Senator claims he has a DOL agent working on my case, but no change so far. I will email him again next week if I dont hear from DOL. This is just absurd because the Governor even said that EVERYONE who exhausted benefits this year are cleared for a 13 week extension. I just wonder IF we do NOT get these benefits owed to us, if we can deduct the amount on our taxes next year?
yep same situation as me but mine exhausted in july 2019 and likewise i reached out to congressman who has a contact at NJ DOL he's working with and has forwarded DOL my information. this has been going on for about 4 weeks (he week I send another email) and his assistant will update me when he's got updated information. Assures me I will be entitled to all the back weeks for the extension. We will see. Assistant said congressman is aware others as well as myself are still having problems with the extensions. It's kind of ironic since it was intended for emergency relief... and now 3 months later. nothing still.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scraprsmith View Post
Your benefit year won't expire until 11/23/20, benefit years are good for 52 weeks. You won't be able to file a new claim until that point in time (if eligible). You sound like a Scenario A person who's exhausted all benefits after 7/1/19 and are in the "wait to be notified group." I'm been waiting for 3 weeks or more for notification. The form letter you got is the generic form letter generated to all claimants who are nearing the end of their benefits. This doesn't mean you're not eligible for the extension. You can start calling (good luck I've yet to get through) to see if you can get someone on the phone to assist with the extension or see what happens when you go to claim on 6/20 and see if your account has been updated with the 13 weeks and the $$$ in your account. I'm not sure if people who received extension notifications received it prior to exhausting their benefits. A lot of the initial people who were notified were those who had already exhausted benefits weeks and months back and were waiting for NJ DOL to get their act together on how to handle the extensions.

Thanks, much appreciated.
Not sure if Im dialing the right number. I've been dialing 201-601-4100, after dialing #1 (english/spanish) it takes me to file a claim. Is there another phone number i need to dial to speak to an agent/customer serivce?

Old 06-18-2020, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Thanks, much appreciated.
Not sure if Im dialing the right number. I've been dialing 201-601-4100, after dialing #1 (english/spanish) it takes me to file a claim. Is there another phone number i need to dial to speak to an agent/customer serivce?
732 761 2021 and 856 507 2340 are other #s I have written down.

Old 06-18-2020, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njrebel1978 View Post

Sorry to hear,
Are you able to file a weekly claims but its just not getting payed out?

Old 06-18-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Sorry to hear,
Are you able to file a weekly claims but its just not getting payed out?
nope I can't do anything as nothing resurrected on my expired benefit year yet (benefit year expired 1/19/20) and no 13 weeks added. I'm in "limbo". Only choice in my online account is to file a new claim which I'm not doing and risking screwing up the "automatic" extension. LOL on the "automatic". If it was only that simple.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment > Unemployment