Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 11:54 PM

134 posts, read 302,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Have you guys seen Lark Rise to Candleford? And there's the Cranford series. LOVE Judi Dench!
'Candleford' is Buckingham and 'Lark Rise' is a hamlet called. Juniper Hill. (I have a friend who lives in Juniper Hill. I lived in Brackley for a while and then in Caversfield) Juniper Hill hasn't changed much, but if you are ever in the area, head South East form Juniper Hill to Cottisford, then down the Hethe Rd to Hethe.

Hethe is 'the land time forgot'. Not far from the main road (but if you don't know where it is, you'll be pushed to find it ) It doesn't get many tourists.

No street lights. When it gets dark, it's dark.

1930s England (though they do have electricity and running water.)

Two other series I like are 'Last of the Summer Wine' (Northern humour; 3 old boys with time on their hands. Set in Holmfirth) and 'Heartbeat' a series (386 episodes filmed from 1992 to 2010) about Policemen in a town called 'Aidensfield' (Goathland) in Yorkshire.

Another favourite series (of mine) is 'Dad's Army' - set near Thetford and filmed (largely) in the Stanford Training Area. The STA was 'requisitioned for the duration' during WWll, but has remained in military hands. There are villages in the STA (such as Buckenham Tofts) which are largely unchanged since the early 1940s. The area is generally 'off limits' but it is opened to the public (guided tours) a few times a year.

The mosquitoes in the STA will carry you off!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 12:07 AM

134 posts, read 302,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
A few I happened upon in my local library:

McCallum - starring John Hannah, currently starring in "Spartacus..." on Starz

Rebus - also originally starring John Hannah and continuing with Ken Stott, I much preferred the eps with John Hannah

Crime Traveller - an odd but endearing series

Midsomer Murders with the inestimable John Nettles - there are sooooo many of these

Also, The State Within - starring Jason Isaacs, Ben Daniels (recently seen in Law & Order: UK) Sharon Gless and others. Absolutely mesmerizing. Found it on netflix.
Usenet is your friend

Old 05-14-2011, 01:45 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,982,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert_Baehr View Post
'Candleford' is Buckingham and 'Lark Rise' is a hamlet called. Juniper Hill. (I have a friend who lives in Juniper Hill. I lived in Brackley for a while and then in Caversfield) Juniper Hill hasn't changed much, but if you are ever in the area, head South East form Juniper Hill to Cottisford, then down the Hethe Rd to Hethe.

Hethe is 'the land time forgot'. Not far from the main road (but if you don't know where it is, you'll be pushed to find it ) It doesn't get many tourists.

No street lights. When it gets dark, it's dark.

1930s England (though they do have electricity and running water.)

Two other series I like are 'Last of the Summer Wine' (Northern humour; 3 old boys with time on their hands. Set in Holmfirth) and 'Heartbeat' a series (386 episodes filmed from 1992 to 2010) about Policemen in a town called 'Aidensfield' (Goathland) in Yorkshire.

Another favourite series (of mine) is 'Dad's Army' - set near Thetford and filmed (largely) in the Stanford Training Area. The STA was 'requisitioned for the duration' during WWll, but has remained in military hands. There are villages in the STA (such as Buckenham Tofts) which are largely unchanged since the early 1940s. The area is generally 'off limits' but it is opened to the public (guided tours) a few times a year.

The mosquitoes in the STA will carry you off!
Thanks for those, I'll look for them

Old 05-14-2011, 01:57 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,982,329 times
I just finished viewing all of these

Sharpe Series (DVD sets)

Sharpe's Rifles
Sharpe's Swords
Sharpe's Revenge

Sharpe's Challenge
Sharpe's Peril

I loved all of them, I love Sharpe and Paddy and all his men!

Sean Bean is in a series here called " Game of Thrones" on HBO I don't know if you can view this in the UK.

After viewing these, I have seen alot of the actors, now older in quite a few movies or in some type of TV series.

I wish they would make another Sharpe movie.

You can take a look at them on Amazon, maybe preview also.

Old 05-20-2011, 04:40 PM

129 posts, read 336,452 times
Fawlty Towers.

Old 05-23-2011, 12:16 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,053,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
For an accurate representation of everyday life in Britain, the film 'Withnail And I' cannot be beaten.
"...everyday life in Britain..." are you serious? lol

Old 05-23-2011, 01:58 PM

16,674 posts, read 17,442,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
"...everyday life in Britain..." are you serious? lol

It's a better representation than what goes on in those flipping soaps that fill our TV screens ad nauseum.

Old 05-27-2011, 06:55 AM

869 posts, read 2,955,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymanero View Post
Fawlty Towers.
Does that qualify as a drama?

Old 05-29-2011, 01:46 AM

2 posts, read 3,183 times
Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (1976)

Old 05-29-2011, 06:26 PM

1,801 posts, read 2,925,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marleys Mum View Post
Hi rural Lady,

I am originally from the UK, I noticed someone recommended Cracker starring robbie Coltrane, this was a fantastic series, so well written.

If you watched and liked Cracker, something else I would highly recommend; if you want a really well written gritty drama, watch Wallander. I noticed recently it showing on a US channel.

Kenneth Branagh is absolutely superb in it.

Masterpiece | Wallander | PBS
Wallander is a must ,Branagh did a good job,it was so well made,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom