Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will the UK disintegrate?
Yes 158 33.47%
No 314 66.53%
Voters: 472. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 05:12 PM

34,148 posts, read 83,198,060 times

Advertisements

I'm sure (or hope) that this question has been addressed before, but...
I understand the responsibility of her elected position, but...

WHY is PM May so enthusiastic in her efforts at leaving the EU?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2019, 05:18 PM

4,204 posts, read 4,705,351 times
Who will win in Wednesday Vote?? Which side has more numbers ?

Old 03-12-2019, 05:26 PM

1,877 posts, read 680,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I'm sure (or hope) that this question has been addressed before, but...
I understand the responsibility of her elected position, but...

WHY is PM May so enthusiastic in her efforts at leaving the EU?
Because she thinks it will get her the votes of those people who voted to leave I guess.

Old 03-12-2019, 05:28 PM

1,877 posts, read 680,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Who will win in Wednesday Vote?? Which side has more numbers ?
MPs will almost certainly vote tomorrow against choosing to have a no deal, which then leaves the only remaining option as voting to ask the EU for an extension to the process.

The EU then has 3 options I think, refuse outright which will also then lead to a no deal exit, accept the request without conditions to kick the can down the road which I think is unlikely, or probably most likely accept the request but with conditions, perhaps making the UK hold another referendum would be their condition for granting an extension. They might also stipulate that if Leave wins the second referendum then its a no deal exit, if remain wins then Brexit is cancelled.

The fourth, but again unlikely imo, option of course is for the UK government to unilaterally rescind the Article 50 process as the European Court ruled it had the power to do last year. That would stop the process altogether but would also rip the Conservative Party apart even more than it already is and probably lead to a general election so May is unlikely to go down that road I think.

Last edited by MnM258; 03-12-2019 at 05:37 PM..

Old 03-12-2019, 05:43 PM

1,456 posts, read 518,777 times
A slightly more detailed diagram

Old 03-12-2019, 05:46 PM

34,148 posts, read 83,198,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnM258 View Post
Because she thinks it will get her the votes of those people who voted to leave I guess.
But haven't most (or enough) of them recanted ?
I'm gobsmacked that the Q hasn't gone back to a referendum re-vote.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:50 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,759,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
But haven't most (or enough) of them recanted ?
I'm gobsmacked that the Q hasn't gone back to a referendum re-vote.
I'm a US citizen, like you. My take on this is that the UK citizens were told that this would be a once in a lifetime vote.

The addition to the situation is the abhorrent handling of the situation by the EU. When they realized that the UK was prepared to walk, which is their right, they have now decided to try to force the UK to put up a hard border between Ireland and Northern Ireland, which would break the Good Friday Agreement, which has kept the peace for 20 years, or they want to hold Northern Ireland hostage. This has turned off people who formerly were happy enough to stay.

The EU has a provision to leave. The UK exercised that right. Now the EU wants to hold part of the UK hostage, or force them to break the Good Friday Agreement.

Why should the UK break their word and hold another vote, when you look at it that way.?

Old 03-12-2019, 09:20 PM

6,057 posts, read 5,998,034 times
Why, because the public were lied to. Both sides playing hardball. No reason why the EU should change its rules on borders, simply to help out a British government in strife over an ill thought out process on leaving in the first place.

It has been suggested another vote would reverse the original decision, if went ahead. The very least on calling a populist vote, the frame work on leaving should have been well in progress, instead nothing was prepared. Highly suggestive, that the government completely missed the signals, expecting the status quo to remain and hence done nothing.

One can hardly blame EU for British dithering and poor performance for any detail. Britain, is the one leaving, onus on them to have crossed the T's and dotted the I's.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:27 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,566,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'm a US citizen, like you. My take on this is that the UK citizens were told that this would be a once in a lifetime vote.

The addition to the situation is the abhorrent handling of the situation by the EU. When they realized that the UK was prepared to walk, which is their right, they have now decided to try to force the UK to put up a hard border between Ireland and Northern Ireland, which would break the Good Friday Agreement, which has kept the peace for 20 years, or they want to hold Northern Ireland hostage. This has turned off people who formerly were happy enough to stay.

The EU has a provision to leave. The UK exercised that right. Now the EU wants to hold part of the UK hostage, or force them to break the Good Friday Agreement.

Why should the UK break their word and hold another vote, when you look at it that way.?
One side of the border will be the EU and the other side is the UK. Given that the UK will not be part of the EU and goods exchanged between the two might be subject to import duties and maybe different regulatory regimes clearly there will need to be some sort of hard border, either between Ireland and Northern Ireland, or between the latter and the mainland UK.

Old 03-12-2019, 09:42 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,566,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshotbob99 View Post
"Is brexit the beginning of the end of the UK?"

NO. But Brexit may be the beginning of the end for
You will have 4 major power-blocs in the world: Russia, China, EU, and the English-speaking countries. This won't happen overnight, but it looks more likely than not to happen eventually.
You do know that the USA will account for 2/3 of the GDP of the richest English speaking nations. Trump is already demanding greater access into the UK for US agricultural products and the removal of non tariff barriers. You think that the UK wants that? Well the UK will account less than 10% of the GDP of this bloc, so guess how much bargaining power it will have.

Germany will seem like a benign giant accounting for only 1/4 of the EU GDP with the departure of the UK.

I think that some Brexiters think that the US and the UK will sit down like equals. Try asking Canada how that works out for them dealing with a neighbor with a GDP 12x its size. Poor Justin wakes up in the middle of the night screaming "No Donald, no. Dont beat me!"

London will work out fine as it is a global city and its time zone allows a 24 hour connectivity given that its lies between Asia and the USA. But the rest of the UK! .

Last edited by caribny; 03-12-2019 at 09:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > United Kingdom