Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2015, 04:38 AM

83,545 posts, read 75,390,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkln View Post
On the plus side, my tomatoes are going gangbusters.
Yup.. One of those years where we have extended crops. Then again.. some farms are hurting from the late winter and late freezes. Like this Apple farm in Ontario.

And believe it or not...it's actually Colder and drier in the south than in New England this morning.

They are tasting Fall before we do (at least before here they did). Freezing level down to 8000 feet over Tennessee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2015, 09:15 AM

168 posts, read 285,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
They are tasting Fall before we do (at least before here they did). Freezing level down to 8000 feet over Tennessee.
Not sure what that means, given that the highest point in Tennessee is 6,600'. I don't mean that to be snarky, but just to literally say I'm not sure what that stat means - the air a couple thousand feet up will always be colder, but it doesn't sound like this would actually affect people's crops on the ground.

Old 09-14-2015, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierrajeff View Post
Not sure what that means, given that the highest point in Tennessee is 6,600'. I don't mean that to be snarky, but just to literally say I'm not sure what that stat means - the air a couple thousand feet up will always be colder, but it doesn't sound like this would actually affect people's crops on the ground.
Lol. If you see the maps you will see how they were well below normal for this time of yr "at the surface". In fact broke record lows again this morning. Crestview Florida 49° earliest in record getting that low. But to keep this post short.. remember the top down approach. The mid and upper levels control the surface weather and temps. Not to an exact because you have solar heating or UHI that can help warm the ground.

Its not always "cold" aloft. Colder then the surface yes but take what just happened for instance.. freezing level is not at 8000' this time of yr over TN. So the amount of cold air aloft, which was below normal, transfered and mixed into the surface. Also.. cold air sinks so the cold above compressed to the surface.

Hard to get into it with 1 post. I actually left a lengthy post why the south got it before and longer then us.

Hope this helped answer your question.

Old 09-14-2015, 03:29 PM

Record Low temps in the Southeast this morning. Crestview Florida 49° earliest going under 50 on record.

This was the 3pm Satellite and Temps. Hope you guys enjoyed a taste of Fall staying in the 60s today but with clouds.

There's an Upper Level Low over New England which is moving out. When that does you'll clear...BUT..... then we're going to warm up once again to Summer levels.. 80s. Will have to wait until Next Monday for Fall again

NWS Burlington

Text Data

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BURLINGTON VT
142 PM EDT MON SEP 14 2015

.SYNOPSIS...
UPPER LEVEL LOW PRESSURE WILL PULL SLOWLY AWAY TO THE NORTHEAST
TODAY WITH SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS SHOWERS TAPERING OFF WEST TO EAST
BY LATER THIS AFTERNOON.

SKIES WILL BECOME CLEAR OVERNIGHT AS A RIDGE OF HIGH PRESSURE AT
THE SURFACE AND ALOFT BUILDS NORTHEAST FROM THE OHIO VALLEY.

AS OF 1049 AM EDT MONDAY...CLOUDS ASSOCIATED WITH A CLOSED UPPER
LOW COVER THE ENTIRE REGION AT THIS TIME. VISIBLE SATELLITE LOOP
SHOWING BACK EDGE OF CLOUD COVER APPROACH THE SAINT LAWRENCE
VALLEY IN NORTHERN NEW YORK.

Old 09-16-2015, 04:50 AM

2 things... Lets get through more summer weather and then after the 23rdI believe you guys will feel the Fall chill. Keep in mind, models were showing this chill around Sept 19-20 last week, now pushed it back to Sept 24-26. So in this pattern, it's hard to believe any chill until we get closer...

Speaking of chill....

A Map of Earliest Freeze on record...

Sept 1-15 for Burlington
Before Sept 1st for Montpelier
Sept 15-30 for Hartford
I see orange for NYC.
Concord before Sept 1st

My record earliest would be closer to end of Sept. Doubt we will break that record this year. lol

https://twitter.com/Climatologist49/...62752176820224

Just checked Montpelier, Yup, August 31, 1965 had a freeze.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:55 AM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,886 times
I think our first frost was around the 15th last year, if I remember correctly. I have it written down in my garden journal. I did put the heat on around the 13th though ha ha.

Old 09-16-2015, 06:55 AM

Quote:
I think our first frost was around the 15th last year, if I remember correctly. I have it written down in my garden journal. I did put the heat on around the 13th though ha ha.
Very cool you keep a journal! I enter data into excel. Seems easier since I'm on the PC a lot anyway. I'll put notes even to mention something like leaves changing colors. Last year this time squirrels were absolutely going nuts! This year nope.

For first frost NOAA's criteria is 36° since frost happens mostly at that temp or lower. Even though can happen at 38 or doesn't happen at 35 it's not common to.

So... First frost (36F) at Burlington Last year was Sept 19th. Normal is Sept 24th
Montpelier was Sept 12th last year. In 2013 it was Sept 6th which was the earliest since 2000.
Bennington was Sept 15th last year. Records only go back to 1999

Old 09-16-2015, 12:05 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,963,886 times
Ha ha well, my 'journal' for gardening is a google doc lol. I'm also behind the computer all day and find it easier to chart it that way.

Not much going on with the leaves here yet, there is some switching over but taking it's time...heading down to NYC tomorrow for a week, I expect there will be a difference when I get back!

Old 09-18-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Ha ha well, my 'journal' for gardening is a google doc lol. I'm also behind the computer all day and find it easier to chart it that way.

Not much going on with the leaves here yet, there is some switching over but taking it's time...heading down to NYC tomorrow for a week, I expect there will be a difference when I get back!
Speaking of NYC... 8am temps. With the exception of coastal NC, SC, GA.....NYC is like Florida past couple mornings with their temperature in the UHI environment. Nuts.

My low was 59 this morning. 57 yesterday. I'm at 62 now. Bridgeport 66. Burlington 64.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:44 AM

FYI... Saturday the better day of this weekend.

Saturday night and Sunday morning chance of rain showers as a storm in Quebec drags a cold front through.

Expect temps to be nice on Sunday in the 50s and 60s. And then 40s Monday morning.

There are "hints" that the level aloft (4000') will be below freezing next weekend. That could translate to a possible frost at the surface with mid-upper 30s in spots. But probably end up low 40s mostly.

I think we're finally done with Summer! Looks like it followed the Calendar this year instead of Meteorological seasons. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont