Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2015, 08:53 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,428,277 times

Advertisements

So, there is a shortage of real men?

Old 12-23-2015, 04:19 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,262,171 times
I currently live in Richmond VA. Lol I recruit men from the DMV area to date because all the men in Richmond are married.

Old 12-23-2015, 09:20 PM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite_heights77 View Post
So, there is a shortage of real men?
Yes.. "real men" as dictated by TV shows like Sex in the City and other stupid mass media.

Old 12-24-2015, 08:27 PM

814 posts, read 911,768 times
Ive been married almost 24 years now, and after reading this thread thank god.

Old 12-26-2015, 02:14 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,533,103 times
Women who complain about the men in DC may as well go off and join the convent because there's only one man who's ever walked this earth who can possibly meet their standards.

Proffessional DC men on average are probably the most educated, well-traveled, health conscious men in America. Maybe it's you, after all.

Old 12-27-2015, 06:47 AM

Maybe its the social awkwardness of all the nerds and geeks living in DC. Maybe DC women need to come down from their high horse, maybe DC men need to be men rather then some bearded hipster with ear rings and a man bag. Nothing says to a woman "take me now stud" like a man thats dressed like a little *****.

With all the skill sets found in the DMV, with all the college degrees, skilled trades, US military members, government workers, the sports teams of the DMV, the wineries, mountains, Chesapeake Bay, Va. Beach, theaters, you mean to tell me that none of ya'll including the OP cant find someone of similar interest and hold down a relationship?

This thread has more BS then a weekend rodeo.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:46 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,971,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Maybe its the social awkwardness of all the nerds and geeks living in DC. Maybe DC women need to come down from their high horse, maybe DC men need to be men rather then some bearded hipster with ear rings and a man bag. Nothing says to a woman "take me now stud" like a man thats dressed like a little *****.

With all the skill sets found in the DMV, with all the college degrees, skilled trades, US military members, government workers, the sports teams of the DMV, the wineries, mountains, Chesapeake Bay, Va. Beach, theaters, you mean to tell me that none of ya'll including the OP cant find someone of similar interest and hold down a relationship?

This thread has more BS then a weekend rodeo.
Great post but let me add my two cents for others reading.

Keep the highlighted in mind as you read. To anyone not from this area, the bold reads very DC/History Virginia which resonates with those that thrive here in DC. I am from NY/Miami so on my time off, I want to be as far away from Military, Federal, wineries, theaters. Mountains are 2 hours away depending. And the same goes for those that are used to more of a work/life balance and away from government, monuments, wineries, and theaters.

REMEMBER! There is no other centralized region like the DMV.

Here is the absolute madness that I observe when reading many online forums, blogs, and articles regarding DC:

For those that actually commit to giving their opinions on DC, there are two sides- the defenders vs the haters. The middle of the line types don't really engage so much because they aren't readily seeking like people as those that hate DC or at least don't understand the city.You might find some here and there but it's mostly the ones that dislike it here that have mustered enough might to blog about it. Ironically, the defenders, no matter where they may be, somehow always seem to be right there in the mix. But why? They are always there to be a buffer. One would think that if you love your city so much, you wouldn't be actively reading and defending in hate blogs. But that is the point- the defenders pretend to be delusional but in reality, do get it. They just don't want to come to terms with others. It's like, how many "i hate dc snob" articles can you read before you realize that it must be the city itself that creates this transferred state of congruency. So it's not so much about bashing the defenders but yes, I do go hard on DC because due to it's high educational/professional state, really lacks the social dynamics to articulate to those that dislike it here. They aren't able to explain why DC is why it is as it is their responsibility to articulate but instead, they revert back to their classist "you aren't educated enough to live in DC" behavior. Furthermore, and the most bizarre aspect, so many of these defenders don't even drive, much less own a home. They are stuck in their own bubble but yet think they can identify with others that love to be mobile and stimulated via different textures.

DC defenders are delusional in that they readily admit to it being the end all, be all with regards to education, professional, and opportunities- which I openly admit it is by the way. But here is what is really frustrating, DC wants to be all other cities as well while knowing that it can't and without accepting its own identity. You name any topic, and DC will quickly use the "DC is just like any other big city". But just a moment ago DC said DC is the MOST EDUCATED and MOST EXPENSIVE with MOST OPPORTUNITY. So what's it going to be? So that being said, what contributes to cities that aren't so centralized and have more economic/cultural balance, will vary on so many levels when compared to DC. But I too can understand this strange phenomenon because it's almost assumed that DC being the high power of all things, would have so much more to offer beyond the immediate DC center for THOSE THAT DON'T LIKE wineries, theaters, and quaint cobble stone neighborhood crossings.

Deep down inside, DC knows that education and jobs can only take people so far. This is why NYC, Miami, and LA thrive because they have so much escapism within short distances. There needs to be other forms of culture beyond the professional culture. You go out to pubs, you overhear people talking about their work. You feel the snootiness in the air. Yes, it's awesome but sometimes you won't to get away from that, especially if you are like me who comes from Queens and wants to be around laid back blue collar types. But unfortunately, DC has a way of conforming its people with its policies to a sterile culture. The haters come here for the opportunities but after settling, realize that there is no escaping the DC culture because DC is so centralized. Rather than everyone coming to terms, the defenders make it a point to try to impress their relevance by undermining the haters telling them they lack education, money, etc.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:30 AM

My uncle is a Master Electrician who lives in Putnam/Northern Westchester area of New York, where I'm originally from. As an electrical contractor hes made a rather nice living, 1.2 million dollar home, fishing cabin upstate NY.

People need to learn that having a college degree is nice but it is not the only path to success, you can do just as well in a skilled technical trade.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:45 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,630,503 times
Having lived in DC there are some amazing women here. I do dabble in online dating since I'm the boss at work and wouldn't dare dip my pen in the company ink and happy hours have never done me any good in meeting quality women. With that said, you really just need to screen well. I've noticed that the majority of women who flat out put out there that they're looking for a long-term relationship and are over the games are generally honest about this. I do think people take themselves very seriously in DC and the women with such high standards in any city usually aren't serious about meeting someone since their ideal match is so far fetched. It all comes down to maturity. I was a serial dater in my 20's and early 30's and my online profile and demeanor when meeting women randomly reflected that back in the day. Now my profile is still funny but serious when it comes to meeting someone special as I'm now ready. You also have to look at the women with ridiculously high standards. Most are not that attractive, fashionable, fun, nice, etc. They are searching for a "perfect man" because they have a ton of insecurities themselves and think a man who has it all will fulfill some gap when in all reality it won't.

Old 12-29-2015, 11:51 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,428,277 times
I hear a lot of Black women in the district complaining of how the gay boys are taking all their men?! LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: