Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2015, 11:52 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,428,277 times

Advertisements

That was a long time ago when the economy and country were different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
My uncle is a Master Electrician who lives in Putnam/Northern Westchester area of New York, where I'm originally from. As an electrical contractor hes made a rather nice living, 1.2 million dollar home, fishing cabin upstate NY.

People need to learn that having a college degree is nice but it is not the only path to success, you can do just as well in a skilled technical trade.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:08 PM

814 posts, read 911,768 times
Not really, I know people who are in the trades and lead a decent life. Young folks have other options, some kids like it or not are not college material and if they tried to obtain a degree they would fail at it.

Most people will. grow up and do well, if you'te not lazy and take an interest in a employable skill you could do just fine.

Old 12-30-2015, 09:31 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,428,277 times
Young folks do have other options if they choose to leverage it for a better situation, but we are told by our parents that college is the only way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVEN 1 View Post
Not really, I know people who are in the trades and lead a decent life. Young folks have other options, some kids like it or not are not college material and if they tried to obtain a degree they would fail at it.

Most people will. grow up and do well, if you'te not lazy and take an interest in a employable skill you could do just fine.

Old 12-30-2015, 02:51 PM

814 posts, read 911,768 times
It is and it isnt. If you enjoy working with your hands, on a job site reading blueprints, or technical/mechanical things a college might not be the best option, a 2 year technical degree combined with a apprenticeship program in HVAC, Plumbing, Electrical, would be good.

If you would enjoy teaching kids, developing their skill sets and expanding their minds, college might be a better option in that case, perhaps you inspire to be a teacher.

Some like cooking, go to culinary school, and make big bucks as famous chefs.

College is obviously an option to success, but its not the only option to success.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:09 PM

2,044 posts, read 2,961,260 times
One thing to mention about the skilled trades, they are very good about limiting their numbers, and are also good at filtering out people who lack sufficient math skills. While apprenticeships do pay, the level of math in many cases is about on par to an undergraduate STEM majors first two years. Especially for HVAC and Electricians. There are licensing tests as well.

While it is a decent option for those that do not wish to pursue a bachelors, the reality is they have to have the mind where they could have at least been admitted to college to successful go through an apprenticeship program and get licensed. It's basically a highly technical associates degree.

This all needs to be put into consideration, this is why whenever anybody puts the skilled trades out there as an option, one has to realize just how how much work is put into limiting the number of people in the skilled trades. These effectively operate like guilds. Only a few people are let in each year, and even then, fewer ever get through the program.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:38 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLCMA View Post
Having lived in DC there are some amazing women here. I do dabble in online dating since I'm the boss at work and wouldn't dare dip my pen in the company ink and happy hours have never done me any good in meeting quality women. With that said, you really just need to screen well. I've noticed that the majority of women who flat out put out there that they're looking for a long-term relationship and are over the games are generally honest about this. I do think people take themselves very seriously in DC and the women with such high standards in any city usually aren't serious about meeting someone since their ideal match is so far fetched. It all comes down to maturity. I was a serial dater in my 20's and early 30's and my online profile and demeanor when meeting women randomly reflected that back in the day. Now my profile is still funny but serious when it comes to meeting someone special as I'm now ready. You also have to look at the women with ridiculously high standards. Most are not that attractive, fashionable, fun, nice, etc. They are searching for a "perfect man" because they have a ton of insecurities themselves and think a man who has it all will fulfill some gap when in all reality it won't.
Online dating is the worst place to meet women.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:12 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,630,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Online dating is the worst place to meet women.
It's a hit or miss. As someone who isn't into the bar scene is serves a purpose. I will admit that it seems so many women online are jaded, have issues, etc. but there are some great ones too. I've tried wine classes, cooking classes, Meetups, etc. with no luck and when I look at my dating history I've had the most luck online even though I typically have to go on 30 dates to find one good one which is tiring.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:13 AM

2,685 posts, read 2,522,856 times
Quote:
It's a hit or miss. As someone who isn't into the bar scene is serves a purpose. I will admit that it seems so many women online are jaded, have issues, etc. but there are some great ones too. I've tried wine classes, cooking classes, Meetups, etc. with no luck and when I look at my dating history I've had the most luck online even though I typically have to go on 30 dates to find one good one which is tiring.
Honestly, you will find better women doing cold approaches on the street than meeting online. At least that has been my experience. Both the quality and quantity online has been a disappointment to me. I have found that I can pull much more attractive women OFFline. And they are usually way hotter and less crazy/strange than anything online.

The reality is that attractive women don't need to go online to meet men. So most of the attractive ones are teases or just there for an ego boost. The ones who actually want to meet someone are usually low quality.. which is why they are online in the first place.

Just my experience.

Old 12-31-2015, 10:23 AM

1,795 posts, read 3,630,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriz Brown View Post
Honestly, you will find better women doing cold approaches on the street than meeting online. At least that has been my experience. Both the quality and quantity online has been a disappointment to me. I have found that I can pull much more attractive women OFFline. And they are usually way hotter and less crazy/strange than anything online.

The reality is that attractive women don't need to go online to meet men. So most of the attractive ones are teases or just there for an ego boost. The ones who actually want to meet someone are usually low quality.. which is why they are online in the first place.

Just my experience.
You're probably right. I'm just too shy to do a cold approach on the street. I did meet a beauty at a sushi restaurant a couple of years ago and we dated on and off for a year. My friends tell me I do better in person but I get much more volume online. I will agree with you, the quality generally speaking, sucks. There are plenty of hot women online but most I have dated have issues. I'm dating one now I met on Match and she is rarely on there and probably for a good reason.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:58 AM

1,881 posts, read 1,483,991 times
Quote:
That's thing I dislike most about OLD. Dopey people with "hi how r u nice rack" comments can be filtered out and ignored, but when I look at the amount of hours out of my life 30 mediocre dates would consume, hours that I can't get back, blech. It can be useful if you have "particulars" in terms of what you're looking for (religion, politics, etc.), in that you can narrow the field a bit. But that doesn't guarantee you'll hit it off with someone. Personalities are still personalities and attraction is still attraction.

It's six of one, half dozen of the other, really, because you can initially hit it off with someone you're attracted to if you meet in person, but then the particulars can get in the way. I'm not going to date a religious man, plenty of omnivores would write me off because when they see "vegetarian," they know I'll never cook them a meal with meat (not knowing that I'd only rarely cook for them regardless!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > District of Columbia > Washington, DC
View detailed profiles of: