Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How would you rate the climate of Portland, OR?
A 10 18.87%
B 10 18.87%
C 17 32.08%
D 15 28.30%
F 1 1.89%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 08:31 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,949,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
It's all relative. I understand that it has mild winters by your standards, but by NZ standards it is a cold winter. 7.4C/46F is about the lowest maximum we get for a winter and Portland gets 2 months of it as an average. Combined with 65 hours of sun for Dec- less than half what we get in June, and you get a winter that could never be matched here. Very different cloud as well, and it doesn't really rain properly either.

I had a about 3 weeks in Portland in Jan 1982 (Seattle a few years later) and it was a very different winter experience to what I was used to. Not mild in the way that it is here. I really enjoyed it though. It was beautiful, but days like the one in the pic weren't common. The mountains are a lot closer here.

This is winter here in comparison Motueka, New Zealand: Climate, Global Warming, and Daylight Charts and Data

I hear you, that's why I said you are spoiled by your winter temps.
And since you explained that nowhere in NZ has a high so low it makes sense. To be fair to Portland though, it seems their summers are a bit warmer than where you are.

Am curious what are the sun hours like at the "Top of the South"? Portland gets quite a lot of sun in their summers as well, so the mountains would be visible in summer more often. You are right though the mountains are miles away. I had to walk up a large hill in a neighborhood to see Mt. Hood, but it was amazing when I saw it.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
Motueka, Nelson and other northern towns there are also much sunnier than Portland.
Nelson looks beautiful! And if it had avg temps in the 85F range in summer would be paradise to me. Winter looks perfect with highs in the 50's.
Sunshine hours over 2400 is very good for NZ correct?

Old 11-18-2011, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I see it differently. Portland clearly has a warmer summer and first month of fall. Motueka is warmer in every other month. 5C/10F warmer days is a big difference during winter
You are right Joe. June, July, August and Sept are warmer in Portland, but that is it. Wonder how total sunshine hours compare between your area and Portland?

Old 11-18-2011, 09:50 AM

10,635 posts, read 16,725,854 times
Yes its true. At first glance it doesn't look all that different temp wise outside of winter but when I crunched the numbers, Motueka was far warmer in all but summer months.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:56 AM

174 posts, read 471,193 times
D. A little (not too) mild for my liking, and not really sunny enough.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:01 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,210,685 times
I rated it a C+ when I saw how little snow Portland got in the winter. I thought they received more snow than that, honestly. It definitely fits a niche (a friend of mine moved there because he hated snow but didn't want to deal with summers hotter than his native Midwestern climate) and I could imagine myself possibly living there if I wasn't obsessed with snowy winters.

Old 11-18-2011, 11:18 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,239,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivalis View Post
I rated it a C+ when I saw how little snow Portland got in the winter. I thought they received more snow than that, honestly. It definitely fits a niche (a friend of mine moved there because he hated snow but didn't want to deal with summers hotter than his native Midwestern climate) and I could imagine myself possibly living there if I wasn't obsessed with snowy winters.
True, but the mountains aren't far away. I prefer snowy winters too, but I could definitely live in Portland's climate.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:15 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,715,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
You are right Joe. June, July, August and Sept are warmer in Portland, but that is it. Wonder how total sunshine hours compare between your area and Portland?
It's hard to know what Portland's hours are. A quick goggle search showed 2155 hours, and 2345 hours on a few sites. Going with the later means there is about a 100 hour difference to here (approx 2450 hours), so not a big difference.

There is only a small variation in monthly sunshine percentages here compared to Portland. I don't wish for high sun hours during the hottest part of the year here, with UVI topping out at 13-14 and an average of around 10- 11. It's only at 7 - 9 at present, so no need to reach for the sunblock just yet.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:34 PM

38,935 posts, read 22,939,705 times
I'd give Portland's climate a B - . I like how the summers are sunny yet not too hot. However, I don't know if I'd be able to endure the dreary, drizzly winters there. I actually wouldn't mind living in Portland. I have a friend who lives across the Columbia River in Vancouver, Washington, and he loves it up there.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:04 PM

1,249 posts, read 2,697,597 times
Oh, one more thing I wanted to add is that I can't really understand how some people complain and bicker when it rains. Rain isn't like snow that you have to shovel it, it is just water that's all it is. I guess so many are obsessed with needing to see the sun and blue skies EVERY day. Boring! I wish LA had Portland's weather but we don't
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather