Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2016, 12:29 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,008,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
- Yeah, that's what I mean, Cubic Zirconia. Can you tell those from Diamonds with the nakid eye? Are we allowed to say nekid around here
Yes, with one correction:

It's nekkid.

Consult your redneck:English/English:redneck dictionary for more details.

I didn't think you were serious about the glass - I'm not even going to answer that, LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 12:36 PM

11,798 posts, read 12,035,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary S View Post
- Yeah, that's what I mean, Cubic Zirconia. Can you tell those from Diamonds with the nakid eye? Are we allowed to say nekid around here
You can't necessarily tell, but you (general you) want to be up-front about it or you'll have some explaining to do if she gets is appraised for insurance purposes.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:38 PM

6,304 posts, read 9,014,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asgardian View Post

A ring is a ring but does it show the way you love your woman? Nope, get a regular one and then take the extra money and go for a terrific honeymoon.
What if your woman doesn't have an interest in a "terrific honeymoon"?

That's an honest question.

If it's a question of using disposable income, is there an objective difference between spending it on jewelry or a vacation?

Old 01-07-2016, 12:41 PM

1,185 posts, read 804,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
What if your woman doesn't have an interest in a "terrific honeymoon"?

That's an honest question.

If it's a question of using disposable income, is there an objective difference between spending it on jewelry or a vacation?
Ask yourself, how much are you willing to spend to prove your love?

The feedback should come from women on here and ladies be honest, what would you think of a man who gives you a $1000 versus a $10000 right.

Bragging rights with friends aside.

Old 01-07-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Ask yourself, how much are you willing to spend to prove your love?

The feedback should come from women on here and ladies be honest, what would you think of a man who gives you a $1000 versus a $10000 right.

Bragging rights with friends aside.
The comment of yours that I responded to had to do with just getting her a ring, and spending the rest of the money on a "terrific honeymoon".

It had to do not with a specific dollar amount, but rather what one would prefer to spend the money on.

If the budget was say, $5000, for ring and honeymoon, I would be far happier with the bulk of it being spent on a ring. Some others may say vacation. It just boils down to personal preference. There is nothing here about "spending to prove your love".

Old 01-07-2016, 01:08 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
I had a Camaro when I got married, and it was totaled when our oldest child was a month old. (Not my fault.) Since then I have driven boring sedans, SUVs, and finally minivans in my trek through parenthood. No fun cars when there are three kids and groceries to lug around. Now that the kids are bigger, my husband talks about buying me a Camaro again. I never asked for it, he would pay for it and probably rarely drive it, and it would cost a heck of a lot more than a ring. (Depreciate a lot more, too.) Somehow I doubt any guy would make a peep over that. Wear a fraction of the cost on your finger, OHNOES.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:10 PM

1,185 posts, read 804,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mishigas73 View Post
The comment of yours that I responded to had to do with just getting her a ring, and spending the rest of the money on a "terrific honeymoon".

It had to do not with a specific dollar amount, but rather what one would prefer to spend the money on.

If the budget was say, $5000, for ring and honeymoon, I would be far happier with the bulk of it being spent on a ring. Some others may say vacation. It just boils down to personal preference. There is nothing here about "spending to prove your love".
For many that what it boils down too.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:21 PM

15,074 posts, read 10,105,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Somehow I doubt any guy would make a peep over that. Wear a fraction of the cost on your finger, OHNOES.
However, you two have been married a while and "survived" the whole raising a child time in your lives. You two were also financially aware enough that children cost a lot of money and thus made good practical choices in life. You've probably also settled down a bit.. probably bought a home. Hopefully with all of this time, you are also more financially secure. In other words, you prioritized....

Yeh.. I wouldn't see buying a fun car at this time in your lives as a problem. Buying a fun car at the beginning of your marriage, I still think it would be a naive decision... no different from buying an expensive ring.

You also don't expect your husband to buy you a Camaro a contingency on marriage.... a bit different from expecting an engagement ring for a marriage to happen.

PS> I just bought a car for my wife... a Minivan. Ugh. Having 3 young kids myself... I say you deserve a fun car!

Old 01-07-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
For many that what it boils down too.
Sure. But I think you've already gotten your answer in spades from the women here.

Old 01-07-2016, 01:35 PM

20,396 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I hate the idea of expensive rings like this but it's not a huge social statement thing, I don't care what other people do. I actually just responded to a thread on another site about how women really feel about diamonds. I almost hate them. Because I want a partner who is interested in me, all my quirks and likes and dislikes and that, as I most definitely will be about him. I could write a short bio including food preferences, favorite colors, and a bunch of other likes and dislikes for pretty much all of the people who matter to me (and it's quite a number of people) and I'm an excellent gift giver, because I pay attention.

So to me, it's like him saying, "I don't really care who you actually are, and don't want to bother thinking about your tastes and interests, that's way too much work...you're a chick, right? Chicks like the shiny, yeah? Here. have a shiny. Now get on with the showering me with affection and gratitude already."

Diamonds are pretty much the pinnacle of that category of thing, and most diamond jewelry is very much not my style. Also it sets a weird tone of, "I spent money on you, so you OWE me."

If I had a man in my life, and we were talking marriage, what would really win me over would be if he spent a modest amount of money on a nice little secluded getaway with frugal but thoughtful gestures here and there. Hundreds maybe, not thousands, and definitely not more than he (and/or I) could afford. Celebrate our love, but don't go crazy, and points for either knowing what I like or surprising me with something really unusual.

As for a ring? An antique with a story, a really odd artisan piece, a plain silver band (I don't care for gold, either)...and I would rather have a loved one's time than his money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships > Weddings