Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2018, 07:59 PM

34,138 posts, read 17,199,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Haha, why is it horrific? Someone there for a week is asking for days off?

Because they said "No problem" during interview, knowing they would lose this candidate to say "no" then. That was their opportunity to reasonably deny the request.

Classic change of terms.

Personally, if I were the OP, in return, I would find a new job, tell new employer "I must give 2 weeks notice" to sound responsible, then tell the present corp 2 weeks later, on my last day, I am leaving.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:02 PM

54 posts, read 61,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Because they said "No problem" during interview, knowing they would lose this candidate to say "no" then. That was their opportunity to reasonably deny the request.

Classic change of terms.

Personally, if I were the OP, in return, I would find a new job, tell new employer "I must give 2 weeks notice" to sound responsible, then tell the present corp 2 weeks later, on my last day, I am leaving.
Thank you. It’s too bad many people don’t get it.

Old 03-21-2018, 08:02 PM

34,138 posts, read 17,199,473 times
Quote:

Finish probation and training, then ask again once they know they will keep you, it takes longer to hire/train someone so they will give a few days off
Correction for OP: "ask again once YOU DECIDE if you will keep them".

If not, they can go through the multi-month cycle of resume collection, multiple interviews, 2 week notice periods all over again.

Old 03-21-2018, 11:38 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,494,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_What34 View Post
Not going to fight it. Going to look for something else and give notice .

You might want to work at your current company until it's time to leave for the wedding. Then give your notice and look for a job when you get back. Otherwise, you might run into the same situation with your next company. Good Luck!

Old 03-22-2018, 05:53 AM

477 posts, read 843,607 times
This situation really sucks. You just started at a new place and know everything you need to know about the manager already. You will never be happy at a place where you can't trust the people that you work for/with. Either way you should look for a new job.
I hope you can handle it financially because you will not forgive yourself to "choose" a stupid few random days at work over a (hopefully) once in a lifetime wedding of your best friend.
If possible, try to think what you would feel about this on your death bed if you decide either way. I don't think anyone would feel that they wished they spent more time at work. We will only regret the time we missed with the people we love.

Old 03-22-2018, 07:52 AM

6,920 posts, read 3,974,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Now_What34 View Post
I won’t. I plan to work until June and quit.
How do you plan on explaining the time gap on your resume/job history between the time you left your previous job to this one and June?

Old 03-22-2018, 08:00 AM

6,920 posts, read 3,974,043 times
Quote:
Yeah, that reminds me of the woman we hired for steel sales where I work. She trained for a month before they let her start taking phone orders. Then she ruins it for herself by going into the manager's office and requesting a raise.

She said the same thing when she walked out (they gave her the option to accept her current pay rate or quit) - how she felt bad for those of us who work here. Wow, funny how this company is able to retain long-term staff, some of whom have 25-40+ years here. I'm about to complete 16 years myself.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:07 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,159,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
How do you plan on explaining the time gap on your resume/job history between the time you left your previous job to this one and June?
Tha reminds me interviews are usually interrogations.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:08 AM

9,182 posts, read 12,159,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
Yeah, that reminds me of the woman we hired for steel sales where I work. She trained for a month before they let her start taking phone orders. Then she ruins it for herself by going into the manager's office and requesting a raise.

She said the same thing when she walked out (they gave her the option to accept her current pay rate or quit) - how she felt bad for those of us who work here. Wow, funny how this company is able to retain long-term staff, some of whom have 25-40+ years here. I'm about to complete 16 years myself.
Has nothing to do with OP's situation. Completely different scenarios.

Old 03-22-2018, 08:43 AM

1,073 posts, read 2,099,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetodust View Post
Calling in sick for a day you were denied vacation would potentially get you fired.

I already addressed this with another poster who made a similar "stating the obvious" type comment.

I prefaced my post with "Might not work in your scenario" for a reason.

#1. As I already stated, this company does not seem like an ideal place to work. She needs to get the heck up out of dodge, anyway.
#2. Take control of the situation. She's already looking for another job, so why NOT call in sick for the wedding and let the chips fall where they may?
#3 Again, I've been in the workforce a very long time. I am very much aware of the consequences. Either she's going to go to the wedding or not. If she is, the choices are: quit or call in sick. I'd go for the latter to maximize the paid days.

Last edited by Mrs.JT; 03-22-2018 at 10:09 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment