Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which has better natural scenery, California or Italy?
California 147 54.44%
Italy 123 45.56%
Voters: 270. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2016, 03:52 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,434,708 times

Advertisements

Sicily has one of the most gorgeous landscapes in the world. for California I'd give it Ghost point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 05:38 PM

18 posts, read 32,651 times

Piano di Castelluccio in Umbria

Old 04-19-2016, 05:49 PM

18 posts, read 32,651 times
The Tuscan Archipelago, inhabited and non-inhabited Islands, compare favorably to any islands associated with California. One of the uninhabited ones is Monte Cristo.

Old 04-19-2016, 06:29 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,900,557 times
Santa Cruz Island, Channel Islands California
Attached Thumbnails
Which has better natural scenery, California or Italy?-128117950.jpg  

Old 04-19-2016, 06:34 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,094,408 times
My vote goes to CA...there is a greater variety to choose from.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:57 AM

2 posts, read 1,436 times
Both California and Italy are stunningly beautiful places and I haven't been to California so I can't really say which is better with any real authority. However I have been to Italy and it is extraordinary how mother nature has blessed Italy with so many natural scenic wonders. Especially for such a relatively small country!
In terms of diversity. Obviously California has Death Valley, the Sierra Nevada mountains, a nice jagged coastline, huge Redwood forests and ancient Bristlecone pines but Italy is amazingly diverse as well. The south of the country, though not well known has many semi-arid landscapes too! For e.g The desolate steppes of the Alta Murgia national park in Puglia. The arid canyons around Matera(One of the oldest inhabited troglodyte settlements in the world). The sand and clay 'Calanchi' badlands in Basilicata which are home to rare desert plants. The semi arid Aspromonte mountains in Calabria(Randazzo.Ave annual rainfall 16.8 inches) which have huge forests of Olive, Beech and Pine on the western side but on the Ionian side they are steep arid peaks of sheer walls and ravines with very meager vegetation cut by wide 'fiumare' empty riverbeds which are particular to this part of Italy and the Gobi desert in Mongolia. Also Sicily and Sardinia have some very arid areas. The most southerly part of Italy Lampedusa has an ave annual rainfall of about 11 inches a year and although officially it has a semi-arid steppe climate due to climate change and the fact that it's only a stone's throw away from the Sahara desert means it's landscape is already in a state of desertification. Cape Carbonara in Sardinia is one of the driest areas in the Mediterranean. Annual average rainfall is around 9.3 inches per year which is only a few millimeters more than the Almeria 'desert' in Spain which is generally seen as the driest part of Europe. Sardinia even has some remote areas reminiscent of the California and Arizona deserts. It's spaghetti western desert landscapes were used in the film A Fistful Of Dollars with Clint Eastwood along with Almeria in Spain.
Calabria which is the most southern region on the Italian peninsula has in some areas a sub tropical coastline next to mountains with an Alpine climate. Italy also has Tundra climates in the Alps and Apennines. Temperate rain forests in the Apuan Alps, Tuscany. High mountain plains and prairies. Volcanoes on it's mainland and islands. Malarial swamps on it's coast. Caribbean like seawater in Sardinia. Sheer vertical walls and pinnacles in the Dolomites. Volcanic lakes. Solfatara craters. Geological Balze crags that like that lake in America were left by a retreating lake. A beautiful coastline as well as Semi-arid Steppes, Mediterranean scrubland, Garrigue scrub, vast millenary old growth forests as well as just about every topographical feature on Earth.
Italy does have a lot of invasive plant species such as cacti, palms and Figs but many species have now become naturalized as they fit into the local climate so well and many places in the world have invasive tree and plant species. There are now vast Eucalyptus forests in the south and islands. Also the Dwarf Palm is actually native to Italy. Fauna includes Brown Bears, Lynx, Wolves, Porcupine, Wild Boar, Golden Jackals, Skunks, Vultures, Scorpions, Vipers, Fox, Badger, Marmots, Red, Roe and Fallow Deer, Otters, Mouflon, Chamois, Ibex, Golden Eagles, Flamingoes. Monk Seals and many more.
Both California and Italy are wonderfully diverse and beautiful though!

Old 08-20-2017, 05:04 AM

5,025 posts, read 5,677,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
California has areas more beautiful and much uglier. Yosemite is one of the special places on the planet, Tahoe is gorgeous but at least half of California is ugly. All of Italy is scenic.
I think this just about sums it up. I wouldn't exactly say it is ugly, per se, because that sounds harsh, but yes, Italy seems to have no bad spots whatsoever almost. Two other interesting points to note about Italy is how at large, it seems to incorporate nature into it's urban spaces (and perhaps some of the opposite too, in the case of Cinque Terre), and it's cities don't sprawl quite as much. I would attend to agree that the "best" scenery in California is more awe inspiring though (Death Valley, Redwoods/Sequoias, Yosemite, etc.)

Old 08-20-2017, 06:02 AM

242 posts, read 262,920 times
I've been to both, Italy and California. As much as I hate living in Italy...I'd go for Italy. Italy is stunning...dreamy scenery.

Old 08-20-2017, 06:58 AM

2,452 posts, read 2,382,164 times
Italy hands down...much better coastline...Most attractive mountains ( alps, dolomites)

Old 08-20-2017, 12:08 PM

23,541 posts, read 24,041,250 times
California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World