Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 12:01 PM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,900,557 times

Advertisements

I can speak only for the United States.

Portuguese people don't consider themselves Hispanic neither do Spaniards. On the census we mark Caucasian.

Hispanics are those that have origins in the former Spanish colonies of North and South America and the Caribbean.

Also Portuguese and Spaniards do not consider themselves Latino it is generally viewed as a category for those of mixed ancestry primarily European/Native American mostly. Whereas Iberians cluster most closely genetically to the Northern Italians, French and the British Isles.

Regardless of the sources some have posted I can tell you in practice Hispanic is viewed in general as a racial and cultural classification in the United States with little association to historical Roman Hispania.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2015, 06:04 AM

1,675 posts, read 2,840,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
I can speak only for the United States.

Portuguese people don't consider themselves Hispanic neither do Spaniards. On the census we mark Caucasian.

Hispanics are those that have origins in the former Spanish colonies of North and South America and the Caribbean.

Also Portuguese and Spaniards do not consider themselves Latino it is generally viewed as a category for those of mixed ancestry primarily European/Native American mostly. Whereas Iberians cluster most closely genetically to the Northern Italians, French and the British Isles.

Regardless of the sources some have posted I can tell you in practice Hispanic is viewed in general as a racial and cultural classification in the United States with little association to historical Roman Hispania.
I think its so offensive to call us hispanics, we should be called NATIVES OF THE AMERICAS

Old 02-13-2015, 07:12 AM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene-cd View Post
I think its so offensive to call us hispanics, we should be called NATIVES OF THE AMERICAS
I understand there was some talk a couple of years ago about possibly including Portuguese in the Hispanic category on the United States census form. There was a huge uproar in the Portuguese community 90+ % opposing it. I view it as a generic category that basically says nothing. I think it turned out to be a sly way of getting people to distance themselves from their ancestors culture or countries of origin. The US is the only place I know of that uses the Hispanic classification.

Old 09-25-2015, 05:02 AM

1 posts, read 930 times
I am from Equatorial Guinea, and we consider ourselves 100% Hispanic because 100% of the population speaks Spanish. We were colonised by Spain about 200 years ago, so the culture & language has been with us for 200 years. My great grandfather was a mix of Spanish and Equatoguinean which links most of my family directly to Spain. FYI

Old 09-25-2015, 05:59 PM
AFP

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaqkonda View Post
I am from Equatorial Guinea, and we consider ourselves 100% Hispanic because 100% of the population speaks Spanish. We were colonised by Spain about 200 years ago, so the culture & language has been with us for 200 years. My great grandfather was a mix of Spanish and Equatoguinean which links most of my family directly to Spain. FYI
I suppose you could technically be classified as Hispanic per Hispanic classification used in the US census.

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/b...c2010br-02.pdf

Old 09-25-2015, 06:11 PM
AFP

Quote:
I understand there was some talk a couple of years ago about possibly including Portuguese in the Hispanic category on the United States census form. There was a huge uproar in the Portuguese community 90+ % opposing it. I view it as a generic category that basically says nothing. I think it turned out to be a sly way of getting people to distance themselves from their ancestors culture or countries of origin. The US is the only place I know of that uses the Hispanic classification.
Just found out in the state of Florida that the Portuguese are classified as Hispanic that makes absolutely zero sense I don't know how that got through the Portuguese in Florida must be ignorant of their heritage lol. We have a unique language and culture the shared cultural and linguistic traditions are Lusitanic not Hispanic and the diaspora of Portuguese ancestry are Luso-American, Luso-Canadian, Luso-etc. Those of Portuguese heritage living abroad that would like to keep their culture please educate yourselves or the host countries may reclassify your heritage. WoW.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:59 PM

8,572 posts, read 8,541,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anaqkonda View Post
. My great grandfather was a mix of Spanish and Equatoguinean which links most of my family directly to Spain. FYI
]

I suspect that this fact accounts for your views and that you DO NOT speak for the more purely sub Saharan part of the population, whose culture remains very African. And quite likely their identities as well.

Old 09-26-2015, 06:45 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,568,408 times
Quote:
Just found out in the state of Florida that the Portuguese are classified as Hispanic
The Congressional Hispanic Conference has three congressmen of Portuguese descent Devin Nunes, od California, Richard Pombo of California and Patrick Toomey of Pennsylvania.

When the US census began in 1790 the concept of race as scientific fact was universally accepted. Humanity was divided into subgroups which most people believed had unique ancestry.

But by 1970 the Census department should have known better. Many countries, such as Mexico for one, count people by the languages they speak at home. It is less judgemental than dividing people up into ethnic groups. It may mean not counting a third generation Puerto Rican who doesn't speak any Spanish, but that is simply a byproduct of this less onerous counting system.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:26 PM

749 posts, read 856,581 times
Quote:
Just found out in the state of Florida that the Portuguese are classified as Hispanic that makes absolutely zero sense I don't know how that got through the Portuguese in Florida must be ignorant of their heritage lol. We have a unique language and culture the shared cultural and linguistic traditions are Lusitanic not Hispanic and the diaspora of Portuguese ancestry are Luso-American, Luso-Canadian, Luso-etc. Those of Portuguese heritage living abroad that would like to keep their culture please educate yourselves or the host countries may reclassify your heritage. WoW.
True non-sense. I had never heard of the term "hispanic" until moving to the US. This is unconstitutional since 99% of Portuguese do not identify as hispanics and certainly do not want to be labeled as such. This is what you get when laws are made by illiterate congressmen.

Old 09-26-2015, 11:47 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times
Define "Hispanic"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa