Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 08:19 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
To a point, I disagree. History means nothing. My grandparents came to America from Russia, escaping the oppression of the Tsar. That is completely meaningless to me, and has made no contribution whatsoever to who I am as a person.

A Black American and a Black African have nothing in common whatsoever, any more so than a White American and White African. They may, incidentally, be able to find some common ground if they both grew up in a place where Blacks were subjected to discrimination or oppression. But no living Black American was directly affected by Slavery, and very few old enough to have been directly affected by Segretation. Similarly, very few Black Africans are old enough to have been directly affected by Colonialism. However historically important those phenomena are, a Black American and a Black African meeting in the street have not been influenced at all in their lifetimes by slavery, segregation or colonialism. No more so than I and a 25 year old Russian have any common experience of serfdom or oppression in Russia.

As an aside, has it occurred to you that Barack Obama did not spend one single day of his childhood living in an African-American household, society or neighborhood, and cannot know from personal experience that that would be like. He is the 44th US president to be raised as a white child by a white family in a white social framework. It would be "unnatural" for Obama to assume that he has anything in common with even a Black American, much less a Black African.
This entire comment is invalid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 08:27 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,473,842 times
Btw, I get along just find with Africans and Caribbeans. My black friends are split almost evenly amongst, African Americans, Africans, and Caribbeans. I think any animosity that occurs is only on the internet or amongst lower tiered ignorant folk.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:38 PM

1,084 posts, read 2,477,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Btw, I get along just find with Africans and Caribbeans. My black friends are split almost evenly amongst, African Americans, Africans, and Caribbeans. I think any animosity that occurs is only on the internet or amongst lower tiered ignorant folk.
Agreed. There will always be ignorant people who come up with dumb reasons to not like someone outside of their 'group'. Human nature at its finest.

Old 11-01-2013, 07:31 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R4d10 View Post
Jtur88 you talk is as If modern day black people aren't affected by the lasting impact of slavery and imperialism. That is completely wrong.
It was not Slavery and Imperialism that caused Prejudice. It was Prejudice that caused Slavery and Imperialism. Black Africans were already considered to be sub-human, and that is why they were chosen to be slaves in the first place. Even if there had never been Slavery, the European perception of Blacks would still have relegated them to the historical second class status that still lingers today.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:15 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
While what you say is true about the present, it is not so because of the history if race relations. Modern day Americans who are racist have a whole set of rationalizations why they are that way, none of which relate to the racial history of the USA. Americans who are racist would be anyway, regardless if there had ever been slavery or segregation. After all, the number of people in Britain, for example, who are racist is similar to the number in the USA, but Britain has no history of slavery, segregation, or any other institutionalized oppression.
But the fact remains that, whether they are conscious of it or not, their rationalizations are rooted in notions of racial superiority which were preeminently manifested in the various forms that European colonialism and imperialism historically took.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
But the fact remains that, whether they are conscious of it or not, their rationalizations are rooted in notions of racial superiority which were preeminently manifested in the various forms that European colonialism and imperialism historically took.
Yeah, but so are my notions of racial superiority. Does that justify it for whites, to cling to historical perceptions? Aren't we BOTH obliged to put that behind us and get past it?

Look. Blacks were invited into the white mainstream in the 1960's, but a lot of them that I know declined the invitation, and insisted on retaining the culture based on their own roots. Arts, fashion, language, the whole lot, and accused whites of trying to force them into a culture that they had clamored to be admitted to for a century. That was their call, not mine.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-01-2013 at 12:49 PM..

Old 11-02-2013, 10:45 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,414,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
I'm sure some of those current crazy images portrayed by black actors in America and western television and music videos don't enhance understanding either.
Sorry it's everyday interactions not history or TV shows.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
This entire comment is invalid.
Actually it's probably the most astute comment on this thread.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It amazes me to the extent African Americans think Europeans dominate the minds of everyone else. Africans are more than capable of observing the cultural habits of African Americans and eschewing them on their own accord.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:51 AM

Quote:
People are polite in polite society the problems surface when you begin to get intimate. I have plenty friend across the ethnic divide doesn't mean there are not real differences.

Also I've found "lower tiered ignorant folk" tend to mix even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa