Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2013, 06:56 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,443,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Don't know how long you have been here or how much of the history of hip hop that you know about. Hip hop used to be party music just like every pan African dance music was.

Then along came white kids who began to listen to rap. Problem is, not being dancers (they party by emptying beer kegs) they didn't get into the party rap. They got into the thuggish nonsense that developed in the West Coast and was funded in its early stages by actual gangsters.

So this music was promoted by the major labels ahead of the party hip hop or the more conscious hip hop. They recruited real live thugs and so having real beefs where people were literally killed was condoned. The white kids had more money to spend, but unlike the black kids, they lived in sheltered environments so this was just an update of the cowboy and Indian fantasies that their fathers had when young. But it was real life for black kids in poor and lower middle class neighborhoods. And stupidly they bought into the hype.

And that was the death of hip hop, and I could say the same thing for dancehall reggae. Both genres feed each other and both were corrupted by the same type of media execs who didn't like the music but wanted quick hard cash.

Its not that either hip hop or dancehall are bad. Its that a criminal element and unscrupulous labels, catered to a silly adolescent group, telling them that this is what they should like, and like they did with the testosterones blazing.

I recall the NAACP and Al Sharpton leading marches against gangsta rap. They were dismissed as old fogeys who didn't "understand that it was telling it like it is". This is why Russell Simmons can write as many books as he wishes with his New Age nonsense, but 20 years ago he packed his wallets with cash while excusing this "murder" music. And in so doing he damaged other genres of black American music as well, which is why even young kids listen to R&B from the 70s.

I'm aware of the origins of hip hop, and yes it came from a good place. That is why I said it was great AT FIRST...without trying to derail this thread completely, I will say that gangsta rap was not the reason for hip hop's demise. Gangsta rap is just one part of hip hop. The great thing about hip hop back in the 90s was that there was room for ALL parts of hip hop. So you could have non gangsta groups like the Beastie Boys, Tribe Called Quest, and the Fugees in the late 90s all come in and sell records along with the gangsta groups.

Somewhere, that stopped. If you were not "keeping it real" and talking about killing/robbing/selling crack/objectifying women because "that was my reality back in the hood" then you didnt sell records. I doubt the Fugees would be able to sell records today. Two Haitians guys and a girl singing Fugeela??? That's soft! That's not keeping it real! To me, this, and not the death of tupac/biggie, is the reason for hip hop's demise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Opinionated View Post
You both appear to me to be judging the other negatively, based on unfortunate circumstances primarily beyond one another's control. It's very shortsighted to hate someone based on how society regards and treats their complexion.

I'm sorry. I was being negative. But her attitude has been typical of too many AAs that I've known over the years. I moved to the US in 1998. To Texas. Prior to getting there, everyone told me to watch out for the racist redneck whites down here in Dallas. Unfortunately, the vast majority of racial insults and putdowns have come from our so called AA "brothers"...african booty scratcher...do you live in trees? play with lions/monkeys? Is your life like that of Akeem in Coming to America? These are real questions asked by supposedly intelligent black college kids (that should give you an idea of the intellectual giants I'm dealing with here...these are the COLLEGE KIDS!!! scary for them)

My wife is African, but born and raised here...she would tell me of how back in elementary and high school the AA kids would target her and her sister ruthlessly just because they were "different" I know some Africans who to escape the torture would essentially disown their heritage and try to be AA...to the point of getting mad if someone asks them where they are from. (Claiming to be from Dallas only). And thus we see the phenomenon of African kids trying to out do the AAs, getting involved in all sorts of shady activities to be "cool"...so yeah to answer the OP...while I have now met several outstanding AAs who are upstanding citizens and all around nice people (from church), I definitely have mixed feelings about the rest.

My guess is that a lot of AAs are resentful of us Africans because they have always used race as an excuse for why they are pretty much the only major group that has not really progressed here in the richest country on earth. Everyone else comes here poor and bypasses them. Indians, Chinese, Africans, heck even the Latinos are moving ahead at least here in Texas. Everyone but the AAs.

Generally speaking, Africans come here to the US dirt poor, with the same black skin as the AAs, yet are able to progress and move upwards within a few years. There goes the race excuse. Meanwhile the AAs are usually working on the third or fourth generation of welfare queens.

Those of us from the Third World can only look at the AAs and shake our heads. You have been given more opportunities to advance that we could ever dream off back home, affirmative action, all types of scholarships and grants. Even the things people sneer at, section 8 housing and welfare checks, that is still more than you would get in Africa. Yet it still hasnt moved the AAs along on the way to prosperity. Incredible.

Old 12-29-2013, 07:16 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post

Unfortunately, the vast majority of racial insults and putdowns have come from our so called AA "brothers"...african booty scratcher...do you live in trees? play with lions/monkeys? Is your life like that of Akeem in Coming to America? These are real questions asked by supposedly intelligent black college kids (that should give you an idea of the intellectual giants I'm dealing with here...these are the COLLEGE KIDS!!! scary for them)
For most of us Black-Americans Tarzan movies have been our main exposure to Africans.

You basically have two types of Black-Americans when it comes to Africa. Either we're Tarzan educated or we've adopted a romantic Afrocentric view of Africa. Neither one of these is too realistic.

I wish stations like BET and TV One would include more African oriented programing involving news and cinema on their stations. This would help to expand Black-America's view of Africans. CNN International has shows like Inside Africa,African Voices and Marketplace Africa. These types of shows should be on BET or TV One.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:24 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
I'm sorry. I was being negative. But her attitude has been typical of too many AAs that I've known over the years. I moved to the US in 1998. To Texas. Prior to getting there, everyone told me to watch out for the racist redneck whites down here in Dallas. Unfortunately, the vast majority of racial insults and putdowns have come from our so called AA "brothers"...african booty scratcher...do you live in trees? play with lions/monkeys? Is your life like that of Akeem in Coming to America? These are real questions asked by supposedly intelligent black college kids (that should give you an idea of the intellectual giants I'm dealing with here...these are the COLLEGE KIDS!!! scary for them)

My wife is African, but born and raised here...she would tell me of how back in elementary and high school the AA kids would target her and her sister ruthlessly just because they were "different" I know some Africans who to escape the torture would essentially disown their heritage and try to be AA...to the point of getting mad if someone asks them where they are from. (Claiming to be from Dallas only). And thus we see the phenomenon of African kids trying to out do the AAs, getting involved in all sorts of shady activities to be "cool"...so yeah to answer the OP...while I have now met several outstanding AAs who are upstanding citizens and all around nice people (from church), I definitely have mixed feelings about the rest.

My guess is that a lot of AAs are resentful of us Africans because they have always used race as an excuse for why they are pretty much the only major group that has not really progressed here in the richest country on earth. Everyone else comes here poor and bypasses them. Indians, Chinese, Africans, heck even the Latinos are moving ahead at least here in Texas. Everyone but the AAs.

Generally speaking, Africans come here to the US dirt poor, with the same black skin as the AAs, yet are able to progress and move upwards within a few years. There goes the race excuse. Meanwhile the AAs are usually working on the third or fourth generation of welfare queens.

Those of us from the Third World can only look at the AAs and shake our heads. You have been given more opportunities to advance that we could ever dream off back home, affirmative action, all types of scholarships and grants. Even the things people sneer at, section 8 housing and welfare checks, that is still more than you would get in Africa. Yet it still hasnt moved the AAs along on the way to prosperity. Incredible.
Yes,its incredible you don't know AA history.
AA weren't even allowed to fully participate in democracy until the 1960's.
Before then,they were still considered 3/5 of a human.
So,in REALITY,AA have only had the 60's to progress.
Going by statistics,more and more are entering the middle class every year.
I think they are doing an outstanding job.
Got anything else you wohld like to say negative about AA?

You guys come from monoracial societies,yet you expect AA(who are a whooping 12% of the population of the Usa) to be doing better than what they are doing now?
The GDP of black America is more than any African country.

Old 12-30-2013, 09:36 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,839,675 times
Quote:
This is part of the reason why I thoroughly HATED AAs for the longest time. Such snobbish attitudes towards us Africans...like REALLY? You think you are in such good shape to look down on anyone???

Let's use your retarded logic then...

I would be very very wary of dating/marrying an African American woman...
they probably have 4 kids by 4 different fathers, none of whom they are in contact with.
She's probably on welfare...

Why are most of the janitors/food servers AA women???

Why is it that I'm either the only black person in my office (as an accountant) or one of two or three at the most? And why is it that AAs tend to fill mainly the low level jobs?

Why is almost every single majority black neighborhood/city in such bad shape?

Why is it that having even 30% AA of a city/neighborhood/school be enough to make that place undesirable to everyone else?

Why do AAs (especially the women) have the highest incidence of AIDS in the US?

Why is it that AA men seem incapable of staying in a nuclear family?

I know FAR more AAs who grew up in fatherless households. I can count on both hands the number of AAs who had both parents. Often times, the father would be in the SAME CITY as his child, never in contact. No child support. Nothing. This is the AA culture.

I could go on all day with this.

See how it feels when the shoe is on the other foot?

I'm sorry you got ran through by so many African men. Yes, we too have our less than perfect men and women. But I think you know very well that AA men can be just as bad, so quit with the generalizing.
Surprise,but did you know someone who has had relations with an African can't donate blood?
You can figure it out.
I don't want this post erased,but I was going by my own experience,even though it takes .002 seconds to look up Nigerian scams.

Once again,lots of african men do come over here and marry women (of any race)for green cards.

In my experience,the African men I know at the Nyc clubs are the most aggressive.
Sure I know AA can be just as bad,hell all men can.

Third,those white people who you Africans love,well,I'm pretty sure they talk about you guys.
How do I know? Because they talk about you guys to Us!

Old 12-30-2013, 10:18 AM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
For most of us Black-Americans Tarzan movies have been our main exposure to Africans.

You basically have two types of Black-Americans when it comes to Africa. Either we're Tarzan educated or we've adopted a romantic Afrocentric view of Africa. Neither one of these is too realistic.

I wish stations like BET and TV One would include more African oriented programing involving news and cinema on their stations. This would help to expand Black-America's view of Africans. CNN International has shows like Inside Africa,African Voices and Marketplace Africa. These types of shows should be on BET or TV One.
I agree with that last part and would like to see more diaspora based programming on those networks, as well as Aspire and Centric. In the same breath, I would love to see more balanced programming in African nations in regard to African Americans and others of the Black African diaspora as well, because I think some things don't get explained as to why they are the way they are.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:29 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,365,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post

I think they are doing an outstanding job...
I agree with much of that. I'll add that to some extent I think Black-America has been mis-directed in some ways and this can explain many of the problems you find in Black-America. When I say mis-directed I think since the 60's Blacks have been too focused on gov't redistribution for progress over wealth creation through business ownership. This over focus on gov't has been advocated by various Black leaders,politicians and Black intellectuals. This thinking has trickled down to the Black masses. I'm not against gov't programs and jobs but they should be viewed as a part of Black progress. The other part has to be Black business ownership and better financial literacy. The Black dollar doesn't circulate once in most Black communities because there aren't enough Black owned businesses in most Black communities. This keeps Black poverty and unemployment higher. We have to create more employment for ourselves. Also not enough Blacks invest money. We spend too much money on expensive clothes,car stereos and rims over investing money. So until Black-Americans change the way we handle our money and start more businesses and support them we'll continue to have the problems we have. Gov't programs and jobs are good but they're limited with improving Black-America in a broad way.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Surprise,but did you know someone who has had relations with an African can't donate blood?
You can figure it out.
I don't want this post erased,but I was going by my own experience,even though it takes .002 seconds to look up Nigerian scams.

Once again,lots of african men do come over here and marry women (of any race)for green cards.

In my experience,the African men I know at the Nyc clubs are the most aggressive.
Sure I know AA can be just as bad,hell all men can.

Third,those white people who you Africans love,well,I'm pretty sure they talk about you guys.
How do I know? Because they talk about you guys to Us!
And therein lies your problem.
Why on earth would you think men at the club are going to be relationship/marriage material???

Newsflash honey, men do not go to the club to find a woman to spend the rest of their lives with. Men go to the club to find a woman to spend the rest of the night with. Perhaps if you stopped the club hopping and found a more mature way of socializing, you would have better luck, with not just African men, but men period.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
I think they are doing an outstanding job.
Got anything else you wohld like to say negative about AA?

You guys come from monoracial societies,yet you expect AA(who are a whooping 12% of the population of the Usa) to be doing better than what they are doing now?
The GDP of black America is more than any African country.

OK so you say AAs have only been allowed to progress since the 60s. Fine. Africans started immigrating over to the US in large numbers really from the early 80s. So you guys have had at least a 15 year head start. Yet we have surpassed you. Same black skin. Same issues with racism. Heck we have even more problems because we are coming from a different culture, sometimes different languages spoken. Yet we have succeeded. What is your excuse?

Old 12-30-2013, 02:01 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,044,731 times
Quote:
OK so you say AAs have only been allowed to progress since the 60s. Fine. Africans started immigrating over to the US in large numbers really from the early 80s. So you guys have had at least a 15 year head start. Yet we have surpassed you. Same black skin. Same issues with racism. Heck we have even more problems because we are coming from a different culture, sometimes different languages spoken. Yet we have succeeded. What is your excuse?
Don't underestimate the enablers of the crackheads: the limousiners.

The limousiners have perfected a formula for creating a permanent degenerate class and voting bloc in one shot.

Like I said before, immigrant of color with little ones better keep a close watch on their youngins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa