Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2018, 08:12 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,462,812 times

Advertisements

Okay. You (person I'm assuming isn't black or African) know more about slavery than I do. I concede. Good day.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:40 AM

302 posts, read 308,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemoni View Post
Okay. You (person I'm assuming isn't black or African) know more about slavery than I do. I concede. Good day.
You would assume I am not black or of African descent because you say so in your deluded mind.

Old 12-27-2018, 09:46 AM

If you were black or of African descent, you would have said so already. I know you're not because you're using links and things to justify your position, which you wouldn't do if this material was natural to you. It would be a conversation and not a research topic.

Old 12-27-2018, 06:41 PM

758 posts, read 1,226,538 times
In my opinion from what I have read, most Africans sold into the Atlantic Slave Trade were were war captives, also when the
Atlantic Slave Trade took off, selling their own ethnic members to the Europeans became an ADDITIONAL form of punishment.

This was the case of getting rid of political rival clans who made trouble against the King, or someone who maybe owed money.

One American anthropologist went to Benin in the early 1900s, he was studying Africanisms among AAs. He was given a
history of the Fon people by a priest and the genealogy of the Fon and their various clans. He said, " You should know that
the members of this family are in your country now. "

"They were big, strong men who knew much magic and were troublesome to the King, so we captured them and sold them".

When we say as 21st Century Americans, "They sold their own people" we are looking at it thru the American racial lens of
"Black vs. White" They didn't consider other ethnic groups their "own people". As one African Professor explained to me, they
didn't look at the big picture, they thought:"The enemy of my enemy is my friend".

Then you had cases where some greedy people just kidnapped people especially children. One ethnic West African friend told me that in his great and great-great grandfathers day people were warned not to go near the forts because people have been disappearing from around there for some reason.

The Oyo Civil War among the Yoruba brought a large influx of slaves into Cuba. So people ended up into Slavery from various circumstances.

Some distant ancestor(s) in my family either did something or fell into bad luck.

Old 12-27-2018, 07:24 PM

Thanks, Agbor. What you described is essentially what happened to Native Americans on this continent. History repeats. Nothing new under the sun.

Old 12-28-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agbor View Post

In my opinion from what I have read, most Africans sold into the Atlantic Slave Trade were were war captives, also when the
Atlantic Slave Trade took off, selling their own ethnic members to the Europeans became an ADDITIONAL form of punishment.

This was the case of getting rid of political rival clans who made trouble against the King, or someone who maybe owed money.
Rival clans doesn't mean they are not one people, many people in one nation let alone and within an ethnicity are vying for power, competition amongst a tribe is a bound to happen that doesn't mean you sell your own down the river.

Many blacks of the diaspora would say the cause of Africans to being sold into slavery was because they were from different ethnicities and tribes, well newsflash, its not what happened , you can't equate rival clans to being different people.

For all intent and purpose an Igbo is an Igbo, a Yoruba is an Yoruba, and Hausa is a Hausa no matter what clan they are from.

Whats the reason for you to sell your own people en masse because the European shows up , its your choice.

But in any case most slaves weren't WAR CAPTIVES,most were very much from their same tribe or clan,and in some cases their same family.
Quote:

When we say as 21st Century Americans, "They sold their own people" we are looking at it thru the American racial lens of
"Black vs. White" They didn't consider other ethnic groups their "own people". As one African Professor explained to me, they
didn't look at the big picture, they thought:"The enemy of my enemy is my friend".
Its not looking at it through racial lens, clans within an ethnicity are the same people,there is no way to deny this.

The ironic thing is that most of the wars didn't happen until THE ARRIVAL OF EUROPEANS,so he was not lying to say they were NOT looking the bigger picture.

The Enemy of my enemy is my friend is a dumb idea in anyway especially since many of the slave ports sold different Europeans like English and Portuguese in the Bight of Biafra, and the Dutch and English in the Gold Coast,so which enemy did these tribes pick. These chiefs were quick to fight other tribesmen but not other Europeans..

Gorée Island | Slavery and Remembrance

https://theculturetrip.com/africa/gh...an-cape-coast/

Quote:

Then you had cases where some greedy people just kidnapped people especially children. One ethnic West African friend told me that in his great and great-great grandfathers day people were warned not to go near the forts because people have been disappearing from around there for some reason.

The Oyo Civil War among the Yoruba brought a large influx of slaves into Cuba. So people ended up into Slavery from various circumstances.

The Oyo Civil war is called a CIVIL WAR for a reason, both opposing sides in this war where the same ethnicity and tribe.

Case closed African chiefs and elites enslaved their own and still enslaved their own in modern times.

Why do you even think many African chiefs want to apologize for selling their people in the slave trade.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...se-slave-trade

Old 12-28-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Agbor. What you described is essentially what happened to Native Americans on this continent. History repeats. Nothing new under the sun.
Please cite sources that a Choctaw sold another Choctaw, or a Lakota sold another Lakota, or a Cree selling another fellow Cree , matter of fact show me sources of Native Americans making raids on other villages for the purpose of the slave trade.

Only purpose other Native American tribes would raid another Native American village was to kill and subdue their enemies NOT to capture and feed the European with free labor.

Maybe you've done to much typing and need to take a seat.

Quote:
If you were black or of African descent, you would have said so already. I know you're not because you're using links and things to justify your position, which you wouldn't do if this material was natural to you. It would be a conversation and not a research topic.
The fact you are sure about me not being black , just makes me sure you are wrong on most things.

Last edited by PrizeWinner; 12-28-2018 at 10:18 AM..

Old 12-28-2018, 11:47 AM

758 posts, read 1,226,538 times
Just finished "Barracoon" It is the story of a 19 year old young adult who was a Yoruba living in a Yoruba town when the King
of Dahomey sent his Amazons to raid and slaughter the towns people. The survivors were captured and marched down to Ouidah
put into a barracoon for 3 months where he saw members of other nations. Him and 120 others were picked out and shipped
to North Carolina.

They founded "Africa Town" and a plaque is there today with the African and American names of the founders and the ethnic
groups they were from. The Fon and Akan States were powerful enough to consign the Europeans to the coast. so a lot of
middlemen were involved.

What was interesting about the plaque was that in this instance, most of the Africans captured were Yoruba with some Nupe and Fulani. The book was a recollection as told to a Black American anthropologist.

So in some cases, they got them from among their own people, some cases they did not, Dahomey and Ashanti were slaving
states that was their main commerce and how they became wealthy by waging war with other kingdoms.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:28 PM

Wiki "Native American slavery" to start. I cannot run you the history of the Native American slave trade as I'm still learning about it myself. This whole "Native Americans were wiped out with diseases" story is hogwash. Native Americans were around for every war. The wars were fought because the United States was taking Native American territory. They then categorized the remnants as "colored" or "Negro" and put mixed-race and whites on the official rolls. Mississippi and Alabama were some of the last holdouts...which is why those places have the race relations they do. Most of those states were Choctaw territory, the last of it ceded with the treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek. Look it up. It's all there.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Dahomey and Ashanti were slaving states that was their main commerce and how they became wealthy by waging war with other kingdoms.
And here's the crazy thing. There are two Dahomeys: an empire similar to that of Mali, and this group of barbarians who went around slaughtering people. The Dahomians (is that a word? ) who got sent to America were likely from the empire. I will say it again: they knew exactly who they wanted to take from Africa. Nowadays when we hear "Dahomey" we think of the kingdom with the amazons, but that was not the original Dahomey. They hide the history of the first one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa