Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 01:14 PM

7,724 posts, read 12,618,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geography Freak View Post
Right so a Portuguese Brazilian, an Italian Brazilian and a German Brazilian are "white-latino" to you - then by the same logic an Italian American, an Irish American and a Jewish American are"white-anglo" to you?
Most Brazilians identify as white first of all. So don't get on my case. I'm going off what they consider themselves. And to me, Portugese Brazilian, Italian Brazilian, and German Brazilian are all white-latino to me most definitely. Those people put down "white" as their race ANYWAY when they ask for their race on government official documents and papers.

Quote:
Besides the aforementioned groups there are Native Americans, Spaniards, Asians, Jews, etc, as well as infinite combinations of these and other elements. Have you ever been to Brazil or do you know anything about the country at all?
I know quite a bit about Brazil. I don't want to brag but I have studied Brazil for many years reading about the history of the country, the politics, the economy, documentaries, films, music, etc. The only thing I haven't done is visit. Which I plan to but not anytime soon. Perhaps in a few years. To me, most Brazilians fall in line with what they consider themselves. And most Brazilians - at least the ones I know - categorize themselves in 3 races. White, Black, & Mulatto. So I go off that as well. Because I'm not going to call someone something they don't want to be called.

Last edited by allenk893; 12-21-2011 at 01:26 PM..

Old 12-21-2011, 01:23 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Interesting, I didn't know this piece of info. "We want you back, but not the way you are..."
Here is a good article on the subject.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:04 PM

2,802 posts, read 6,428,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Most Brazilians identify as white first of all. So don't get on my case. I'm going off what they consider themselves. And to me, Portugese Brazilian, Italian Brazilian, and German Brazilian are all white-latino to me most definitely. Those people put down "white" as their race ANYWAY when they ask for their race on government official documents and papers.

I know quite a bit about Brazil. I don't want to brag but I have studied Brazil for many years reading about the history of the country, the politics, the economy, documentaries, films, music, etc. The only thing I haven't done is visit. Which I plan to but not anytime soon. Perhaps in a few years. To me, most Brazilians fall in line with what they consider themselves. And most Brazilians - at least the ones I know - categorize themselves in 3 races. White, Black, & Mulatto. So I go off that as well. Because I'm not going to call someone something they don't want to be called.
If you're talking about how people group themselves, I totally agree, but that doesn't make people's actual origins any more or less homogeneous.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:40 PM

5,720 posts, read 20,046,413 times
Cuba and Dominican Republic are most alike. Both have minor native american influences, unlike Puerto Rico, where native influence on phenotype is everywhere.

Brazil and Cuba may have some overlaps, but Cubans lack Amerindian, that Brazilians have.

Brazil and Puerto Rico also overlap, but Puerto Rico may lack the african influence.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:43 PM

3,979 posts, read 6,788,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I'm confused. I thought the mulatto race included all that?
From what I know, mulatto means the admixture of Black + White.

And don't include Japanese and Arab people.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:37 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalaMan View Post

And also the descendants of the millions of Lebanese (Arab) immigrants...

Recently I read there are more Lebanese-brazilians in Brazil than Lebanese in Lebanon.

Old 12-21-2011, 04:46 PM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
First off, Brazil has awesome Sushi. You can get excellent sushi cheap there.

As for Brazilians in Japan. They have had trouble fitting in with Japanese culture. Japan is culturally homogenous, and although they have the same ancestry, the culture of Japanese Brazilians is very different. Japanese people never really accepted them, so they never assimilated. Japan considers their plan to bring back Brazilian Japanese as a failure. Japan has only themselves to blame.
Part of it is that many brazilians in japan send good money to send their kids to Portuguese speaking schools in japan.

I think it's equally hard to let go of all things brazilian and Portuguese. Probably also they need to keep that knowledge in case they do go back as well.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:13 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,384,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMario View Post
Cuba and Dominican Republic are most alike. Both have minor native american influences, unlike Puerto Rico, where native influence on phenotype is everywhere.

Brazil and Cuba may have some overlaps, but Cubans lack Amerindian, that Brazilians have.

Brazil and Puerto Rico also overlap, but Puerto Rico may lack the african influence.

Mario

PR does have the African influence but like Cuba it lacks much the Amerindian element today. There are a few people who claim Taino descent but I think the number is very small and most of the language and customs seem to have been lost over the years.

One thing that is common to all three countries is the popularity of Afro-Catholic religion in Cuba and PR it is Santeria and in Brazil Obando and Macumba. In recent decades there has been an influx of whites into the religion. Some sources say that these are the fastest growing religions in the Western hemisphere. That it what i have heard someone else may be able to confirm that.

As to the Lebanese in Brazil Bejamin Abrahao stands out as an important documentary film make of the 1930 mainly because of his interviews and films of Brazilian folk hero Virgolino Ferreira da Silva known also as Lampiao. There is a 1997 film about Lampiao and Abrahao called "O Baile Perfumado" that contains much of the footage he recorded in the Northeast of Brazil. I have a copy of this film which I got from Lampiao's granddaughter who wrote a book on the fascinating historical figures who were her grand parents; Lampiao and Maria Bonita. She also has a web site dedicated to her grandparents in the Portuguese language.
http://www.infonet.com.br/lampiao/

Old 12-21-2011, 05:28 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,874,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Part of it is that many brazilians in japan send good money to send their kids to Portuguese speaking schools in japan.

I think it's equally hard to let go of all things brazilian and Portuguese. Probably also they need to keep that knowledge in case they do go back as well.
Good for them. The family wants to preserve their Brazilian heritage. Most Japanese Brazilians preserved elements of their Japanese culture, including the language, and Brazilian society supports them.

Old 12-21-2011, 05:58 PM

614 posts, read 3,211,555 times
Cubans from my experience either look fully European, fully African, or a recent mulatto mix. Not as diverse or mixed as Brazil but more like the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas