Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:22 AM

3,261 posts, read 3,710,652 times

Advertisements

I watched an interview with De Kirchner she was spouting the usual rubbish, but what struck me though was her face, it looked badly swollen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 12:44 PM

61 posts, read 67,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
Heh. If you're going to go back to 1833 to determine who has the rights to land, and which population group has property rights (!), its going to get messy.
That's just a rant. Not a legal argument. From a legal argument Argentina is the owner. It doesn't matter if we go back to 1833, or 1050 just because you do not are right.

The judges of the International Court of Justice , and Britain as arbiter, decided sovereignty on islands from the region on base to laws far older than 1833.

Britain is not the owner of any robbed property just by sitting over it.

Quote:
For starters, all european-descended Argentinians lose their land to the indians.
1- False. Just a lie. The 50% of Argentines which have some degree of indigenous ancestry do not agree with you. We all are Argentines.
2- Even if it were true, still the islands would be Argentine property.

Quote:
Lots of the same happens in the US and Russia, and China...and why stop in 1833? Certainly we must give the Welsh back the lands lost to the Anglosaxons during the dark ages! And all those peoples who lost their lands to the Romans!
Another lie. Border limit, as example on US, are non disputed. They are legally valid.

Your problem with the Welsh is your problem. Not an excuse. We do not have problems with our Welsh.

The legal status of the British on the islands is illegal invaders.

Quote:
If this is the basis of the Argentinan claim, it belongs in the comedy clubs, not in a serious forum.
That's a mock. Not an argument.

The basis for the British claim is not even that.

Last edited by MotorPsico; 06-02-2012 at 01:04 PM..

Old 06-02-2012, 01:07 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albion View Post
I watched an interview with De Kirchner she was spouting the usual rubbish, but what struck me though was her face, it looked badly swollen.
Doesent she have some health problems? I recall hearing that doctors thought she had thyroid cancer but it turned out to be something less serious.

Ive also read that she is big on Botox and plastic surgery. There was a time when I though Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner looked pretty hot but then she started antagonizing my British cousins ....

Old 06-02-2012, 05:33 PM

33 posts, read 85,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cojoncillo View Post
Andres

I'm very sorry for Argentina. Cristinita will destroy the country or provoke a civil war. It's quite sad to see how a country like Argentina becomes a Chavez's puppet... Quite sad. What will she do if Chavez croaks?

She's a baiter, a populist, she needs evil British, evil Gallegos, evil Americans...and people dance to her rithm because of her handouts that soon will be over..

Really, quite sad.
Yes Cojoncillo I'm very very sorry too. It has reached a point where the only real possibility for any civililized person is to leave the country if they have the means.

I don't know how much you know about her and the people that sorrounds her but, just to give an example of what we have to deal with: we (argentinians) can't buy foreing currency. Yes , as you heard. You earn a salary that you have gained with your work but you can't buy any currency. And the inflation is growing at a huge rate. Until last year the realtion with the US dollar was about 4 (pesos) to 1 (dollar), now it is almost 5 and you can't buy it even if you need to maxe a trip outside and you make a presentation to the public tax entity (AFIP)!!!!!

[/quote]Doesent she have some health problems? I recall hearing that doctors thought she had thyroid cancer but it turned out to be something less serious.

Ive also read that she is big on Botox and plastic surgery. There was a time when I though Cristina Fernandez de Kirchner looked pretty hot but then she started antagonizing my British cousins .... [/quote]

Cristina said that she was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. After having surgery she said that , in fact, there was no cancer and the medical staff had made a mistake. The best staff in the country made a mistake. If you know anything about thyroids it's almost impossible. I mean, the can tell you that you have (and you have) or that it is uncertain but not the other way round.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:21 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,144,031 times
The Falklands is now like Australia or Canada. It's like asking us to give Christmas Island 'back' to Indonesia simply because it's far closer to Indonesia than Australia. Were the islands even inhabited before the British came? I don't see them returning to Argentina, no matter than Canada will claim Greenland. Any interest Argentina has in them will be to do with any natural resources on the islands or the territorial waters. I think most Brits don't really think much about the Falklands these days.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:37 PM

61 posts, read 67,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Were the islands even inhabited before the British came?
Yes, The first owners were the French, then Spain, and then Argentina. And Britain backs it with multiple signatures on international treaties.

The British didn't "came". The British invaded a civilized country, exactly like the nazis invaded France.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotorPsico View Post
Yes, The first owners were the French, then Spain, and then Argentina. And Britain backs it with multiple signatures on international treaties.

The British didn't "came". The British invaded a civilized country, exactly like the nazis invaded France.
I was thinking more along the lines of Natives...but thanks for the info anyway.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:15 PM

6,347 posts, read 9,893,112 times
Why dont they compromise and make the islands independent of both the UK and Argentina?

Old 06-02-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cry_havoc View Post
Why dont they compromise and make the islands independent of both the UK and Argentina?
That would make sense...although I don't know how the logistics of it would work. They should have a referendum. Australia has a lot of island territories like the Falklands. Norfolk Island is an example. They're too small to really have the infrastructure of a sovereign state and represent themselves, Falklands are tiny in population too so I don't know how that would work.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:53 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,824,886 times
MotorPsico, pleas do not take this the wrong way, but are you autistic in some way? I don't ask this as an insult but...you are arguing that people who live on the Falkland Islands, have lived there all their life, whose parents, grandparents and great-grandparents have lived their all their lives should be forced to change their nation because of a treaty from 1833?

That kind of picking one single piece of paper and ignoring all precendence and subsequent legal practice is, I feel rather on the autistic side.

That is not how it works. When Donald Duck chases the viking helmet that proves sovereignity of North America, that works in Donal Ducks comic book. It does not work in real life.

Do you see Sweden making a claim to Norway on the basis of treaties after the Napoleonic wars? Denmark asking for Schelsvik-Holstein back? Mexico demanding Texas be returned, no matter what the Texans want? Quite asides from article 1 of the United Nations Chater superceeding previous treaties, marture nations don't act that way any more.

The age of grabbing lands regardless of the wishes of the inhabitants is long gone, and no one misses it.

Quote:
Another lie. Border limit, as example on US, are non disputed. They are legally valid.
Actually, I'm pretty sure indignious peoples would dispute the borders rather heavily, if you were to suddenly reestablish borders form the 1830s and proceed from there.

Quote:
That's a mock.
Well, of course its a mock! What on earth did you expect? You waltz in trying to argue Argentinian possesion of pieces of land which has had a totally UK population and been under UK sovereignity since the 1830s, based on 4 years of settlement and a treaty from 1833. Do you realize how ridicoulous that is, not just to the Brits but to all of us? Obviously, you're going to be mocked! Frankly, you've had a far more serious response than than that kind of vapor deserves.

Last edited by Grim Reader; 06-03-2012 at 12:05 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Americas