Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2010, 03:23 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,909,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer1K View Post
Sorry but you are a big part of the problem then and a hypocrite. In the last sentence you say "I'm still pretty hardcore on criminals" but above you want to give AMNESTY to those who willingly broke the law! No one ever said that Mexicans or any other LEGAL immigrants weren't hard working people or that they were not welcome here in America,just come here the legal way.

Why should they be given amnesty fro breaking the law?

We should reward them for this?

While we're at it maybe we should release a few murders and rapist from prison because they're interesting deep people too!

It amazes me that any law abiding AMERICAN citizen would not be behind this bill 100% especially someone like yourself who's from Cali. where your state is just about bankrupt and the ILLEGALS are a very big part of that!

I'm from Mass. and trust me our politics are no better here. We give out free cars,free cell phones and even free gas cards to welfare recipients. We also just passed a bill ALLOWING ILLEGALS benefits from public entitlement programs! That's a huge slap in the face to every hard working taxpaying resident!

Oh....Lets not forget where Obama's ILLEGAL aunt has been living for free in public housing for the last 8 years too!
Something I'm having a really hard time wrapping my head around is this...for years now my friends in CA have been complaining and griping up a storm about illegal immigrants, how much they are costing the state, how their hospitals are being bankrupt and all the welfare, etc. they are paying out. But NOW?? They have done an about face and I just don't get it, at all. What has made them change their minds?? I don't want to call my friends hypocrites but what the heck is up with that?

How does one qualify for a free car on welfare in Mass.? It's really hard to get welfare here and almost as hard to get food stamps, let alone a car, cell phone, etc.. They get none of that stuff here.

My opinion on Amnesty is that it didn't work very well in 1986 and I doubt it would work any better now. Also, if the people of Mexico got wind that just coming here would grant them Amnesty we could likely expect an even bigger flood. I bet that's what's going to happen though...they'll be granted Amnesty and THEN people will REALLY be mad!

Old 05-10-2010, 04:50 PM

2,096 posts, read 3,810,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
How does one qualify for a free car on welfare in Mass.? It's really hard to get welfare here and almost as hard to get food stamps, let alone a car, cell phone, etc.. They get none of that stuff here.

I have 2 words for you.......... Ted Kennedy

Here's the story on the bill allowing ILLEGALS public entitlements:

Perry says colleagues “showed a total lack of respect for law-abiding taxpayers”
April 28, 2010 By Conor

Republican State Rep. Jeff Perry, a candidate for Congress in the Massachusetts 10th Congressional district, blasted his colleagues in the House of Representatives today after his proposal to bar illegal immigrants from receiving state services was defeated.
“Today, a majority of House lawmakers showed a total lack of respect for law-abiding Massachusetts taxpayers by refusing to consider a measure that would stop giving illegal immigrants benefits from public entitlement programs,” Perry said in a statement.
“A majority of my colleagues continue to use money from the pockets of legal Massachusetts citizens to subsidize and reward illegal behavior. Later this week, they will further punish those taxpayers by cutting back on basic services provided to them in the state budget, including local aid, public safety, veterans services and public health programs. This is wrong. Our job as public servants is to protect the taxpaying residents of Massachusetts first. The House failed to live up to that responsibility today.”
Perry’s amendment to the budget would have required that anyone attempting to receive a public benefit first be verified by the Federal Systematic Alien Verification for Entitlement program “SAVE.”

The amendment was defeated 82-75.

Now...The free cars and phones

No job? No income? No problem. Massachusetts will give you a car
MAY 11, 2009

A few months ago we were appalled by a government program that gives free cell phones and free minutes to the loosely-defined poor. Well, not to be outdone, Massachusetts is now giving them free cars.

Here’s how the Boston Herald explains the details of this welfare fiasco:

Gov. Deval Patrick’s free wheels for welfare recipients program is revving up despite the stalled economy, as the keys to donated cars loaded with state-funded insurance, repairs and even AAA membership are handed out to get them to work.

But the program – fueled by a funding boost despite the state’s fiscal crash – allows those who end up back on welfare to keep the cars anyway.

“It’s mind-boggling. You’ve got people out there saying, ‘I just lost my job. Hey, can I get a free car, too?’ ” said House Minority Leader Brad Jones (R-North Reading).

The Herald added:

The state pays for the car’s insurance, inspection, excise tax, title, registration, repairs and a AAA membership for one year at a total cost of roughly $6,000 per car.

The program, which started in 2006, distributes cars donated by non-profit charities such as Good News Garage, a Lutheran charity, which also does the repair work on the car and bills the state.

Free cell phones! Free cars! Free food! Free medical care! Free houses!

Not working is almost as good as getting elected to congress.

Source: BostonHerald.com

Trust me,If I didn't live here I wouldn't believe it either!

Old 05-10-2010, 04:51 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,554,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyoming Darrell View Post
I believe that a reasonable person would question whether the AZ immigration law, in its entirety, being discussed in this thread crosses the line, and takes away the rights guaranteed under at least these two amendments. These are both part of the Bill of Rights attached to the US Constitution in 1791.
While I feel that there should be no amnesty, and all illegals should be deported, this is the wrong way. If you wish to see more of my opinion, you can check on the thread "Hundreds seek to fill vacant positions at Pro's Ranch Market". Otherwise, I don't know how to be any clearer.

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
Amendment V

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
You still did not answer the question but that is OK. I guess I cannot be clearer on my question. I just asked for clarification to a specific law that violate the Constitutional paragraphs you quoted.
This is a made up example of what I meant by my question:
Smallville U.S.A. has an ordinance that says "Invdividual that look suspicious will be detained and searched".
Now, that can be decided whether it violates the Constitution.

You never quoted anything. You just cited The Constitution.
When you make a comment like you made it is fair to say you had something in mind, right? I wanted to know that something. Is that fair to ask? Generally people do not make a comment out of the blues for no reason at all. So did you have in mind some law that does not pass The Constitutional test when you wrote the last comment in your message?
You also wrote above: I believe that a reasonable person would question whether the AZ immigration law, in its entirety, being discussed in this thread crosses the line, and takes away the rights guaranteed under at least these two amendments.
Why would a reasonable person would question the AZ law? What is written in it for you to make that comment? That is what I wan to know from you.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 05-10-2010, 06:45 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,627 times
Quote:
I have 2 words for you.......... Ted Kennedy
How is that all specifically his fault?

Old 05-10-2010, 06:48 PM

1,046 posts, read 3,484,627 times
Quote:

It amazes me that any law abiding AMERICAN citizen would not be behind this bill 100%
I think there are WAY more effective ways to solve the problem. This is a silly law that is only paying lip service to solving the problem. I doubt it will even go into effect.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:00 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,853,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Sage comments here, but after giving it much thought, I decided to be true to my nature. INCLUSION is better than exclusion and divisiveness which is what conservatives specialize in. There is no place for that type of mindset in a progressive society. The crisis that we face in this country is not illegal immigration, but the continued presence of the CONSERVATIVE IDEOLOGY.

I support AMNESTY for all illegal immigrants who are here. We should welcome them and do what we can to help them become good citizens. Many people from around the world want to become citizens of this country. We sell the "American dream" throughout the world and we should help those who want to realize it. I personally find mexican people to be a very fine people. They are hardworking, family-oriented, colorful, interesting, deep people. They are entitled to be here as much as anyone else and they certainly deserve a chance as human beings to make a better life for themselves. As a result, I DO NOT support AZ's law.

I'm still pretty hardcore on criminals however...and they come in all races.
If you say all immigrants, that includes the criminals...Amnesty is not or cannot be all inclusive.... If nothing else needs to be a criminal record check and that is not all inclusive...So start over...illegal is illegal....

Old 05-10-2010, 07:14 PM

94 posts, read 245,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grannysroost View Post
If you say all immigrants, that includes the criminals...Amnesty is not or cannot be all inclusive.... If nothing else needs to be a criminal record check and that is not all inclusive...So start over...illegal is illegal....
Well said ! And the OP should look at their own state and the condition it is in and decide how well that open border has worked so far.

Old 05-10-2010, 07:50 PM

299 posts, read 566,342 times
Default Plan C ...

...... SERENITY NOW !!! ......

WOW .... I DO feel better. ... I bet when I open my eyes the illegals will all be gone, and Arizona won't be on the road to financial ruin .... sanity will be restored,, I'll be married to a very satisfied Jessica Biel ...... and liberals will be using common sense.

( eyes open ... )

DAMN !! ... I got greedy.

tiberius

Old 05-10-2010, 08:10 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,632,328 times
John McCain: "Complete the Danged Fence"

John McCain: "Complete the Danged Fence" - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

I honestly believe the cheese has slid off his cracker.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:14 PM

197 posts, read 393,093 times
Many clergy members, in my humble opinion, do not have a firm understanding of economic and demographic realities. They fail to comprehend the pain and suffering that Arizonan citizens go through because of the illegal immigration problem. I think it is because in their position, they have limited exposure to providing economic resources. They also have limited exposure in placing boundaries neccessary for society to continue functioning at a particular level.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona