Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2011, 10:50 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times

Advertisements

No, as there is nothing beyond this existence. The concept or desire to sit and watch believers come to the realization there is nothing else is absurd, for they too will just be dead, end of their story also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2011, 12:39 AM

3,414 posts, read 7,142,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
IF you are right, that there is no God or no afterlife, dosnt it annoy you that you will never be able to stand up and say " see, we told you there was no God and no afterlife! We were right and you were wrong" Dosnt it annoy you to know that if you are right, that you will never know for an absolute certainty because you will just be dead, you wont know anything or be able to think anything. Im not an atheist, but it annoys me to think that if there really is no God or afterlife, we wont be able to conciously think about that fact.
No.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:07 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,179,640 times
What a reprehensible bit of behavior to look forward to. It doesn't annoy me at all not being able to look forward to that. I consider it a shameful thing to which to look forward.

Old 07-02-2011, 02:35 AM

33,527 posts, read 37,128,036 times
Quote:
IF you are right, that there is no God or no afterlife, dosnt it annoy you that you will never be able to stand up and say " see, we told you there was no God and no afterlife! We were right and you were wrong" Dosnt it annoy you to know that if you are right, that you will never know for an absolute certainty because you will just be dead, you wont know anything or be able to think anything. Im not an atheist, but it annoys me to think that if there really is no God or afterlife, we wont be able to conciously think about that fact.
It doesn't matter to me whether anyone thinks I'm right or not, so it will matter even less when I'm gone.

Old 07-02-2011, 03:06 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,284,151 times
Quote:
Never gave it a moments thought till you mentioned it.
Now that you have mentioned it paint me a picture of your after life,if its just sitting around for eternity in eternal bliss with the big guy i think i'll take a pass on your idea of an afterlife and just go with the ashes to ashes .

Old 07-02-2011, 03:49 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
Quote:

No, I doubt it...because unlike rampant fundie religious types, most atheists don't care what you think or about being right.

(FTR, I believe in god.)

Old 07-02-2011, 03:59 AM

23,171 posts, read 26,184,870 times
Most people appreciate others acknowledging that they are correct but being that most atheists contend that their egos allow for "I don't know and I may never know" on the 'Big' questions, it seems reasonable that we're not concerned much about it.
There's a list of things I'd like to see answered in my lifetime but it's for my own satisfaction rather than the "Told you so" factor.
On the other hand, if being right has no or little importance,what are 'we' doing here, trying to prove our points, on a discussion board?
Reading most posts (including my own) more seem geared to stating viewpoints rather than inviting discussion.
So while annoying may not be the correct word, disappointing might be.

(sigh, I just argued with myself again...I hate that

Old 07-02-2011, 08:40 AM

9,408 posts, read 13,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizzly Friddle View Post
No, I don't really care. I am not that invested in being right.
What Sizzly said

Old 07-02-2011, 09:57 AM

1,385 posts, read 2,453,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
As a final note not one of us, not you and not I, know who will go to hell.
I think this may be slightly off topic, but I must disagree.

I can say with 100% certainty that the god of the Abraham does not exist, and therefore, hell does not exist.
It is all part of a mythology that is so far fetched and contradictory that it can't possibly be real.

I can see a slim possibility of some other undefined deity.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:37 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,892,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Most people appreciate others acknowledging that they are correct but being that most atheists contend that their egos allow for "I don't know and I may never know" on the 'Big' questions, it seems reasonable that we're not concerned much about it.
There's a list of things I'd like to see answered in my lifetime but it's for my own satisfaction rather than the "Told you so" factor.
On the other hand, if being right has no or little importance,what are 'we' doing here, trying to prove our points, on a discussion board?
Reading most posts (including my own) more seem geared to stating viewpoints rather than inviting discussion.
So while annoying may not be the correct word, disappointing might be.

(sigh, I just argued with myself again...I hate that
I agree. Obviously, being right and showing as much is important to both sides of the isle, Theists, Christians, Atheists, and Agnostics, or we wouldnt be here discussing the matter at all. The " I told you so " factor isnt really important to me at all really, but like old_cold, the prospect of never knowing for an absolute certainty is very dihappointing to me. I want to know for my own satisfaction. I do beleive in a God, but the prospect of rubbing it in anyones face does not excite me, I just want to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism