Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2017, 01:24 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,109,095 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
As Bill Maher said, "I hope that Democrats have learned a valuable lesson in this election: anything is possible when your opponent f_cks children!"
This wasn't so much a triumph for the non religious as it was a lucky break. Without the scandal, Moore probably would have won.

That he still got 48% of the vote should not be surprising. Remember, the average American has an IQ of 98, which means that somewhere around half of the citizens have an IQ below that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2017, 03:14 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Awwww

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Slcq0Jj4RM

Old 12-18-2017, 06:56 PM

15,853 posts, read 6,311,569 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6DmHGYy_xk

Old 12-19-2017, 10:24 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,109,095 times
There is an ad which appears in the border of my e-mail account which reads "We put the ho-ho-ho back into home repairs."

While this is but a sparrowfart in the hurricane of exploiting the holidays to move products, I thought this one exceptionally thoughtless. Was there ever any "ho-ho-ho" in home repairs in the first place, the restoration of which we welcome? And is it something that we would want at any time of the year, holiday or not?

Me: "Hey! You guys charged me a fortune and my roof is still leaking."
Them: "Ho-Ho-Ho!"

Old 12-22-2017, 08:25 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,697,383 times
Default really random.

I was just thinking about one of the most ..I won't use an epithet, but it puts me off my food when I think of it.

It was in one of those 'why do people laugh at Creationists?' videos and it showed a younger Kent Hovind telling his audience "I believe the Bible is True, cover to cover..." and acknowledged the hearty applause with a humble little bow.

And there was a debate where someone said "Faith is good" or something like that and there was wild applause and Dawkins said in bewilderment "Why are you applauding that?" This idea that Unquestioning faith is something good to have in ones' self or in others is Wrong. It's a sort of sickened horror as when you see the Khmer Rouge, or ISIS or or Ken Ham indoctrinating kiddies. "They have gone terribly wrong" And you long to help straighten their heads out and you can't. Even if you could be there and talk to them, they wouldn't listen.

All we can do is hope that they will start asking the questions and checking the facts a bit later on. And if we can help at all by suggesting the questions or pointing up a few facts to check, that makes it worth doing.

And that links up with a couple of vids I saw 'How I changed from atheism to Christianity". There seems to be a flurry of them just at the moment but that may be a vagarity of the pop -up system.

I won't say much about how both got nagged into it by their boyfriends, but I will note the pattern. Their atheism was what one might call "Unprotected atheism". They simply didn't do it or think about it. I have said before "This leaves them an easy target for one of the well produced evangelical packages".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJmZ1iuOHp0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUhejTfqcKE
Of course, the last thing they did was look up an atheist site and find the answers. And that's why the believers would love to shut us up. And that's why we can't be shut up. Without hearing the Other side - the counters to the evangelical side that (as seems to be in the case of both these vids), it was an easy scam; making them feel they were sick in order to sell them the cure. I feel a bit sickened as I hear them relate cheerfully and enthusiastically how they were conned.

So I feel a bit sad for these people, though they are happy enough I suppose, but again the conversion was not for good reasons. I can only hope one day they'll see how they were fooled into Faith.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-22-2017 at 09:35 AM..

Old 12-22-2017, 04:29 PM

Default The end of faith sneaks up on ya...

That remark made me smile and decided me to post. A Quaker Pastor recently left. Not becasue there was anything really bad about his religion. Not because his dog died and he raverd why God didn't bring it back to life, but just he stopped being able to Believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr1mao__QPQ

Old 12-23-2017, 05:37 PM

Default A reason -shaped hole.

Another vid (Which popped up after watching a girl (who is well on the way to doubt and question talking about how to evangelize to atheists) which while interesting inn itself, made me smile. Because he talked about the 'God shaped jole' in his life. I first heard this in connection with CS Lewis, One of Christianity's most effective apologists in the old says) and this guy put the counter "It was more a reason -shaped hole in my mind".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9jE_65fL9c

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 12-23-2017 at 05:58 PM..

Old 12-24-2017, 02:23 PM

7,244 posts, read 7,067,976 times
I'm sitting in my in-laws house for Xmas and I'm so bored.

To be fair I would probably be bored even if it wasn't Xmas.

Old 12-25-2017, 12:13 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,852,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
I'm sitting in my in-laws house for Xmas and I'm so bored.

To be fair I would probably be bored even if it wasn't Xmas.
I'm sat on my own and I'm bored. Merry Fricking Christmas!

Old 12-25-2017, 12:14 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,852,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Another vid (Which popped up after watching a girl (who is well on the way to doubt and question talking about how to evangelize to atheists) which while interesting inn itself, made me smile. Because he talked about the 'God shaped jole' in his life. I first heard this in connection with CS Lewis, One of Christianity's most effective apologists in the old says) and this guy put the counter "It was more a reason -shaped hole in my mind".
Merry Christmas...you old humbug!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Atheism and Agnosticism