Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 07:54 AM
bu2

24,106 posts, read 14,891,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsvh View Post
How do you explain the lack of statistics to support your claim that crime increases?
You didn't read what Arjay said. Some reports say it does. Some say it doesn't.

Maybe it varies by location. Maybe it has to do with the study and what they are actually looking at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2014, 10:00 AM

3,913 posts, read 5,231,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pemgin View Post
Okay, so a little over 500 crimes for the year. And how many riders does MARTA have everyday? Over 200,000? That's not a great chart to use to make an argument.

This is a really embarassing debate to keep having. How many other cities are still having this debate? Very, very few, I'd imagine. Everyone seems to have moved forward on transit except Atlanta.

I think you miss the point. The point was, when mass transit like Marta moves in, crime goes up. Still doesn't negate the need for it. I get that. However, you can't ignore the mere "500 crimes" you say. Besides, I don't think cities like Roswell, Dunwoody, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Milton and Cumming have had 5 murders in 10 years let alone the astounding amount of murders and violent assaults one sees on MARTA through the papers on a regular basis?

You just blended in the murders with "a little over 500 crimes"....the problem my friend is that these aren't petty. They involve homicide. THAT's the fear people have....it's one thing to lose your gps sitting on the dash, quite another to lose your life?

Better perspective, isn't it?

Another anecdote....I've lived in my house for 17 plus years....in the first 14 we never had a break-in in the neighborhood of 300 homes.....then Alpharetta High School started bringing in 2nd chance students from South Fulton (read: Kids who's parents don't give a damn and let them run wild as evidenced by their previous engagements with law enforcement ergo, the title 2nd chance...even the South Fulton schools didn't want them)...

Result? 3 hoodies were breaking into houses, police set some traps, voila, caught them all...turns out, they were simply breaking into them ON THE WAY TO SCHOOL IN THE AM!!!!!

Don't try to wash this off on racism, stereotypes...blah blah blah....it is....what it is....as mentioned originally, it's the baggage they bring....ask any landlord in the area, any school administrator.....one kid got his head bashed in with a metal pole cemented into a steel wheel....3 days suspension...said he was defending himself...gang activity....and they let it go.....now, you have YOUR kid go bash someone's skull in claiming the same....good luck with that.....

The problem with liberals is they never, ever know what to do or say when they meet a "liberal" who is a real SOB...do they? Spin it any way you wish (just 500 crimes) but, when the Marta crowd comes, crime goes up. Don't take my word for it, ask the insurance actuaries and see what THEY say....it's NOT an accident when home owner's insurance goes up.

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, guess what?

Old 12-16-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey86 View Post
My words are in bold.
Hey, I grabbed it where I found it, did you check out the OTHER 20 sources??? or, are they all racist too....yelling racism is pretty much like the boy who cried wolf...we simply ignore it now...come up with a new calling card.

Old 12-16-2014, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqholt View Post
Amazing you think suburbanites are afraid of apartments while intowners are encouraging apartments around stations. Didn't those uppty suburbanites ever rent?

Who said, afraid? It's simply noting the obvious. Apartments, REGARDLESS of the tenants tend to be fluid and transient, do they not? It's like renting a car, no one treats a rental as well as their own, do they?

Put apartments up or a Marta station and I'll show you an uptick in crime. It is, what it is....

Old 12-16-2014, 10:28 AM

445 posts, read 516,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
Besides, I don't think cities like Roswell, Dunwoody, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Milton and Cumming have had 5 murders in 10 years let alone the astounding amount of murders and violent assaults one sees on MARTA through the papers on a regular basis?
Are you saying there is an outstanding number of murders on MARTA on a regular basis? I haven't seen those stats. Fiscal year 2014 there haven't been any, right?

Old 12-16-2014, 10:29 AM

445 posts, read 516,520 times
Quote:
Put apartments up or a Marta station and I'll show you an uptick in crime. It is, what it is....
Do you think the apartment boom in Old Fourth Ward has caused an increase in crime?

Old 12-16-2014, 05:28 PM

2,197 posts, read 2,261,100 times
Quote:
the astounding amount of murders and violent assaults one sees on MARTA through the papers on a regular basis
Wow; an "astounding" number of murders and assault on MARTA on "a regular basis"? I'm going to have to assume you were resorting to extreme hyperbole in an attempt to make a point, otherwise I would be extremely interested to see news articles showing this "regular" pattern of assault and murder on our trains and buses.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:39 PM

10,743 posts, read 13,390,202 times
Folks, crime has nothing to do with race. It simply is.

Old 12-16-2014, 05:45 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,630,056 times
Quote:
I think you miss the point. The point was, when mass transit like Marta moves in, crime goes up. Still doesn't negate the need for it. I get that. However, you can't ignore the mere "500 crimes" you say. Besides, I don't think cities like Roswell, Dunwoody, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Milton and Cumming have had 5 murders in 10 years let alone the astounding amount of murders and violent assaults one sees on MARTA through the papers on a regular basis?

You just blended in the murders with "a little over 500 crimes"....the problem my friend is that these aren't petty. They involve homicide. THAT's the fear people have....it's one thing to lose your gps sitting on the dash, quite another to lose your life?

Better perspective, isn't it?

Another anecdote....I've lived in my house for 17 plus years....in the first 14 we never had a break-in in the neighborhood of 300 homes.....then Alpharetta High School started bringing in 2nd chance students from South Fulton (read: Kids who's parents don't give a damn and let them run wild as evidenced by their previous engagements with law enforcement ergo, the title 2nd chance...even the South Fulton schools didn't want them)...

Result? 3 hoodies were breaking into houses, police set some traps, voila, caught them all...turns out, they were simply breaking into them ON THE WAY TO SCHOOL IN THE AM!!!!!

Don't try to wash this off on racism, stereotypes...blah blah blah....it is....what it is....as mentioned originally, it's the baggage they bring....ask any landlord in the area, any school administrator.....one kid got his head bashed in with a metal pole cemented into a steel wheel....3 days suspension...said he was defending himself...gang activity....and they let it go.....now, you have YOUR kid go bash someone's skull in claiming the same....good luck with that.....

The problem with liberals is they never, ever know what to do or say when they meet a "liberal" who is a real SOB...do they? Spin it any way you wish (just 500 crimes) but, when the Marta crowd comes, crime goes up. Don't take my word for it, ask the insurance actuaries and see what THEY say....it's NOT an accident when home owner's insurance goes up.

Walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, guess what?
I can ignore it because 500 or so crimes out of millions of riders per year is negligible. Whenever you're dealing with that many people, there are bound to be bad actors thrown in, but that's due to sheer numbers, not that it involves transit. Crimes of all kind are going to happen anywhere there are lots of people, regardless of transit availability. Also, there were no murders on MARTA last year so I'm not "blending" anything.

Here's a useless anecdote: When I lived in Lawrenceville, my home was buglarized despite being nowhere near transit and almost never any pedestrians. Since I've lived in Atlanta, where I'm directly on a heavily used bus line and have countless people walking 20 feet from my door everyday, I've never had problems.

What do liberals have to do with this?

Old 12-16-2014, 08:36 PM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,957 times
Forget the criminals. I'm more concerned that MARTA attracts a very small, vocal population of irrational fanboys that lose sight of anything resembling logical thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta