Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 08:37 AM

324 posts, read 877,254 times

Advertisements

I'm a 28 year old personal trainer from NJ moving to Metro Atlanta and wondering what the singles scene and night life is like down there ??

Do a alot of you single guys find it easier to get hook-ups ?? or date ??
I'm not looking for marriage but I enjoy the company of women whether its dating or flings.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:54 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by League54 View Post
I'm a 28 year old personal trainer from NJ moving to Metro Atlanta and wondering what the singles scene and night life is like down there ??
With all due respect, this is about as useful as asking what the singles scene is like in the US. The Atlanta metro is 5.5 million people and quite varied in nature from region to region.

Where in the Atlanta metro are you moving to? That would give people a better idea of the environment(s) you might be likely to encounter.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:55 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,880,495 times
Quote:
Do a alot of you single guys find it easier to get hook-ups ?? or date ??
I'm not looking for marriage but I enjoy the company of women whether its dating or flings.
Oh, I can't wait to see where this thread goes.
http://bestsmileys.com/mouthzippedshut/2.gif (broken link)

Old 02-20-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner
Where in the Atlanta metro are you moving to? That would give people a better idea of the environment(s) you might be likely to encounter.
Midtown, close to Piedmont Park or around that area.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:22 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Oh, I can't wait to see where this thread goes.
http://bestsmileys.com/mouthzippedshut/2.gif (broken link)
Neither can I, so I'll start the uproar. LOL.

Before I moved to ATL, about 15 or so years ago, I was told that as a single, educated, white-collar male, I would be in demand. The reason was because (1) there were many women looking to hook up with someone of that "demographic" and because (2) Atlanta supposedly has a very high gay/lesbian population that takes these guys out of that pool. I found these explanations to be, by and large, true.

Atlanta is a mecca for post-college migration, so the quality of the singles is high. However, here's what I ran into...and the original post comes from New Jersey. I found it difficult to date "local" women. A West Coast person (me) and a Northeasterner just has a different vibe (direct, abrupt, liberal, casual) that doesn't work well with a debutante-like Southern gal who went to college and, moreover, might have been in a sorority. This one girl I went out with, who I met in a church sponsored singles group, who was a college grad/sorority girl pointed out how she didn't like how casual I was ... about how I would just BS with anybody, or how I told jokes, or my car (GM car about 6 years old), and lastly (DRUM ROLL) how I dressed after work and to run around....jeans, boat shoes w/o socks and a college t-shirt....that's after a day in a navy blue suit + white shirt + maroon tie + black leather dress shoes. You see, I had to be in chinos + button-down shirt or something more Buckhead-ish in my time off. I wound up telling her to "go to hell," more or less. But there are a lot of women who might still be like that. Sure, they are attractive but it's still a different region and they are really cut out for a Southern guy.

Now, more people from all over the states and all over the world have moved in since the early 90s. I'm sure it will be easier to date NOW than ever before. There are all kinds of people there...it's a real mosaic.

As for me, I think it's a little easier to do this in the region you come from. That way, you don't have to ever do the "in my region" and "in your region" thing. That never comes up among Californians, it would be ridiculous. Also, I met a lady on an airport shuttle who worked as a flight attendant for Delta. She was a Westerner living in Atlanta. She said, in the South, Westerners tend get lumped in with, and get along better, with Northerners. That's exactly what I found to be the case in my 2 years in the ATL.

Lastly, you're from Jersey...isn't that place stocked with attractive, sassy Alyssa Milano look-alikes? Why leave? LOL.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:27 AM

177 posts, read 923,714 times
Quote:
Haha! You sound exactly like all of my single guy friends. They have no problem find lots of cute girls to have flings with.
Women are hungry here...I'm sure you will have no problem. IN fact let me direct you to Crescent Ave in Midtown-where Thursday to Saturday you can find tons girls who can't wait for you to buy them a drink.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:34 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,081,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Lastly, you're from Jersey...isn't that place stocked with attractive, sassy Alyssa Milano look-alikes? Why leave? LOL.
Alyssa Milano...

Old 02-20-2008, 09:37 AM

2,642 posts, read 8,259,583 times
OK, here's the rain on the parade...as someone who has a career in public health and who works for the world's most premier public heath agency (as a contractor) I must caution you against casual sex. More than 50% of women in the US are or have been infected with HPV. Men, while not at risk for cervical cancer, by definition, are at risk for oral cancer. And let's not forget HIV/AIDS.

So, please, tone down the casual sex and always wear a condom. Always.

Service announcement over. Let the fun and games continue....

Old 02-20-2008, 09:49 AM

AWESOME REPLIES EVERYONE!!! love it !
Quote:
Originally Posted by robetpolyglot
You would think so...but the economy in NJ is horrendous !!! Women for the most part are interested more in manipulating you into spending money on them. Theres a few attractive women here (not as many as you think) and for every 1 attractive girl there are 20 ruthless steroid junkies playing the penis in a jar routine. I don't mind a bit of competition but the ratio of attractive women to men are not in a mans favor (Obesity rate for women over here is CLIMBING fast as well).

Plus there is ALOT of prejudice here. If your a good looking italian guy with wealthy parents and like jumping through hoops for a girl you'll be ok with the women. Actually it seems that most groups stay within there own culture when it comes to dating and the scene here is just depressing.

Quote:
More than 50% of women in the US are or have been infected with HPV. Men, while not at risk for cervical cancer, by definition, are at risk for oral cancer. And let's not forget HIV/AIDS.
Appreciate the heads up !!! very important to keep in mind, I always wrap it up !! and I'm not to worried about HPV or Herpes..as there is no real way to tell if someone has either, unless there showing blatant signs.

Last edited by League54; 02-20-2008 at 10:04 AM..

Old 02-20-2008, 10:13 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocopuffy View Post
IN fact let me direct you to Crescent Ave in Midtown-where Thursday to Saturday you can find tons girls who can't wait for you to buy them a drink.
Oh, yeah, I forgot...we're talking Midtown here...it's Gen-Y and thereabouts.

I guess I was targeting Buckhead/Brookhaven and points north...the more suburban areas where you'd still find singles.

I'm Italian on both sides...and see, out West, where I was born and raised, that was NONEXISTENT...a guy from Smithtown Long Island was in the office next to me until he moved back East and couldn't believe how UN-Italian the Italians on the West Coast are. I know what a "Guido" is (I have an uncle in Teaneck NJ), but most people don't. I can almost guarantee you, there will NO "Guido" competition in Atlanta....there probably will be in FLL or MIA, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta