Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2019, 07:38 PM

524 posts, read 521,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BR Valentine View Post
You might want to reread the section you quoted, specifically the parts about roads designed to segregate and rapid transit stunted by white flight. The problem isn’t his inability to make up his mind. He has a logically consistent argument regarding the influence of racism on policy even if you can’t comprehend what it is.

Drawing the conclusion that today's traffic congestion in Atlanta is related to segregation in the 1960s is ridiculous. Today's traffic congestion is directly related to Atlanta's population growth explosion and poor city planning. Even if public transportation was adequate, Atlantans refuse to leave their cars at home.

Old 08-20-2019, 07:41 PM

712 posts, read 701,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionsRGood View Post
Drawing the conclusion that today's traffic congestion in Atlanta is related to segregation in the 1960s is ridiculous. Today's traffic congestion is directly related to Atlanta's population growth explosion and poor city planning. Even if public transportation was adequate, Atlantans refuse to leave their cars at home.
That whooshing sound you hear is Kruse’s work rushing over your head. One person’s poor planning is another’s preferred (for bigoted reasons) if imperfect policy. Stunted MARTA and all that

Old 08-20-2019, 08:03 PM

11,781 posts, read 7,995,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionsRGood View Post
It's a combination of alot of things but there is some truth in white flight to the suburbs / exhurbs (further de-densifying the region) and transit staunted due to racial concerns. MARTA rail has reasonably high usage for a system its size so if it were to be expanded there is a fair chance it would see adequate use. I personally would rather use MARTA rail to get to work than drive and park in Downtown if it reached the suburbs.

Contrary to popular belief, Atlanta DID on numerous accounts try to plan for its explosive growth but many transportation plans were shot down due to Nimbys (highways), or Political issues (MARTA rail). If all of Atlanta's plans had actually seen light the region would have a pretty sophisticated transportation network but only about 1/8th of their plans were realized.

Old 08-20-2019, 08:37 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,356,608 times
Quote:
That whooshing sound you hear is Kruse’s work rushing over your head. One person’s poor planning is another’s preferred (for bigoted reasons) if imperfect policy. Stunted MARTA and all that
So, are you (or the author) suggesting that if they had designed the interstates to not segregate, traffic wouldn't be bad? Or if they hadn't built any interstates at all, that traffic wouldn't be bad? What is the end conclusion here?

Old 08-20-2019, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
So, are you (or the author) suggesting that if they had designed the interstates to not segregate, traffic wouldn't be bad? Or if they hadn't built any interstates at all, that traffic wouldn't be bad? What is the end conclusion here?
Today children we have an example of reductio ad absurdum. Can you say reductio ad absurdum? Sure, I knew you could.

Seriously, I think based on reading your comments (obviously I don’t don’t know IRL) you’re more intelligent than this. Do you think that maybe ... just maybe ... that intentionally segregationist highway building policies, white resistance to public transportation for bigoted reasons (tell me again when Gwinnett voted to join MARTA) and segregationist de jure and de facto housing policies might possibly have helped have an important role in why we have the traffic patterns and thus the congestion that we do? I’d be perfectly willing to argue that Kruse is provocatively overstating his case because he’s a bomb thrower. I’m just not obtuse enough (or willing to excuse racist behavior) not to recognize that race has had a profound effect on temporal and spatial location of people in Atlanta and every other major US metro.

Old 08-21-2019, 05:39 AM

16,690 posts, read 29,506,412 times
Quote:
Quote:
Today children we have an example of reductio ad absurdum. Can you say reductio ad absurdum? Sure, I knew you could.

Seriously, I think based on reading your comments (obviously I don’t don’t know IRL) you’re more intelligent than this. Do you think that maybe ... just maybe ... that intentionally segregationist highway building policies, white resistance to public transportation for bigoted reasons (tell me again when Gwinnett voted to join MARTA) and segregationist de jure and de facto housing policies might possibly have helped have an important role in why we have the traffic patterns and thus the congestion that we do? I’d be perfectly willing to argue that Kruse is provocatively overstating his case because he’s a bomb thrower. I’m just not obtuse enough (or willing to excuse racist behavior) not to recognize that race has had a profound effect on temporal and spatial location of people in Atlanta and every other major US metro.
Perfect posts. Thank you.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:18 AM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,869,527 times
Quote:

The same pattern happened all over the country, whether it was in the south or in parts of the country with very few minorities. It happened quicker when you had white flight, but it was happening anyway.

Neighborhoods aged. The population grew. People moved to newer, bigger, more modern housing. Middle class Black families did the same thing.

So what's absurd is the premise of the author. Race is simply not the reason most decisions are or have been made. It had nothing to do with the cancellation of freeway and rail projects in Dekalb County. That was NIMBYism. It had nothing to do with the refusal to improve the arterial system.

Old 08-21-2019, 07:43 AM

5,633 posts, read 5,356,608 times
Quote:

A simple "yes" would have sufficed. So, our traffic is because people were racist. If people weren't racist, we (and the rest of the country) wouldn't have traffic. This is what we like to call blasto out yo asso. It's taking two fairly separate topics and conflating them into one idea.

Old 08-21-2019, 09:19 AM

Quote:
A simple "yes" would have sufficed. So, our traffic is because people were racist. If people weren't racist, we (and the rest of the country) wouldn't have traffic. This is what we like to call blasto out yo asso. It's taking two fairly separate topics and conflating them into one idea.
I stand corrected. You are dim. Simple enough for you?

Old 08-21-2019, 10:41 AM
bu2

24,073 posts, read 14,869,527 times
Quote:
You don't agree with his progressive idea so you MUST be an idiot. Don't you understand????
Actually applying knowledge outside of accepted thought is not allowed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta