Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 03:41 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

I saw an article this morning in our local newspaper (Az Republic) about the new Cadillac Black Diamond station wagon - 460 hp - where the manual is standard - automatic is an option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 08:03 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I saw an article this morning in our local newspaper (Az Republic) about the new Cadillac Black Diamond station wagon - 460 hp - where the manual is standard - automatic is an option.
Yes, and that's the reason why the most expensive and powerful sports cars in the world are offered with a manual transmission. Such automobiles are often special-ordered by buyers who want exactly that feature. But some can be had with a hybrid transmission.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:15 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Getaway Stalls As Suspect Can't Drive Stick Shift

National News Article - Northern Virginia News | My Connection from Cox

Old 08-15-2011, 08:31 PM

352 posts, read 780,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Getaway Stalls As Suspect Can't Drive Stick Shift

National News Article - Northern Virginia News | My Connection from Cox

haha oops!

the guy couldn't drive a stick?

Old 08-15-2011, 09:58 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,157,521 times
Well, one of my coworkers told me that: "one can train a monkey to drive a car with an automatic transmission, but it takes a lot more time to train the same monkey to drive a car with a manual transmission."

Old 08-16-2011, 10:12 AM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaoCT View Post
the guy couldn't drive a stick?
My spouse can't drive one to save his life.

Old 08-16-2011, 02:53 PM

328 posts, read 995,937 times
I wouldn't mind learning how to drive a stick shift. I just don't know where to go to learn? Do driving schools take people who already have licenses?

Old 08-16-2011, 07:04 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gosling View Post
I wouldn't mind learning how to drive a stick shift. I just don't know where to go to learn? Do driving schools take people who already have licenses?
Of course they do! But I hope you can find one that teaches stick.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:26 AM

24 posts, read 207,555 times
Of the 2 cars I currently own, both are stick. All of my vehicles have been stick sine I began driving in 78 with 2 exceptions and both of those I purchased from family.

Old 11-05-2011, 07:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
So every single person who is driving a car with an automatic doesn't have "control" of their vehicle? Did you disengage the anti-lock brakes on your car so you have "more control?"
Not entirely, with an automatic you do have less control. This is not really a debatable point, and this is especially so with CVT's and the more advanced automatic transmissions of today.

Quote:
You can't power out in the corners with an automatic?
Definitely not to the same degree as a manual. Driving enthusiasts and race car drivers regularly heel-toe, and that is something you can't do on an automatic. Formula 1 videos have great examples of this in the 80's and early 90's before they switched to semi's.

Quote:
Are you serious? Some of the best burnouts I've seen were with cars with an automatic trans.
This is lame, and just as "cool" as claiming to shift manually with an automatic transmission. People who usually stick to manuals do it for the experience and the advanced techniques you can do with it as opposed to an automatic transmission.

If someone prefers automatic that's up to them, there are many legitimate reasons for not wanting to drive manual, but a lot of what you've posted here is nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive