Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 11:39 PM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
So...I'm the only one that says the Pledge of Allegiance, Hail Marys and Takbeeratul-Ihram before posting in the baseball thread?

Bless you. Wish I had a hankie on hand for you...

I can't argue with the OP here, but I despise "Deep in the Heart of Texas" during Astros 7th inning stretch even moreso.

Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 07:56 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I would smack you in the head if I saw you disrespect America like that.

Old 04-25-2012, 07:58 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
What happened to a good ol' singing of Take Me Out to the Ball Game? No disrespect to our country but does a sporting even have to be a flag-waving patriotic lovefest? Especially in a game as diverse as baseball where many of the players aren't even American.... I think singing the national anthem is plenty of respect for our country. Its a baseball game, not a military funeral.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:36 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,925,220 times
Had a discussion about this issue with a guy the other night. He doesnt take his hat off for GBA because its not the National Anthem. We agreed hats off to the Anthem and for salutes to Veterans at the park.

Old 04-26-2012, 01:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Had a discussion about this issue with a guy the other night. He doesnt take his hat off for GBA because its not the National Anthem. We agreed hats off to the Anthem and for salutes to Veterans at the park.
thats a good agreement. I can buy that. I don't think any of us are saying the GBA is the same as the Anthem, but it still should get the respect of the fans, it is one of our patriotic songs. OK, for some the word God is a turnoff, I don't think that is the point; the point is simply respect, too many people have lost it or have forgooten the meaning of the word. I just don't see whay it hurts people to take 2 minutes out of ther lives and remain quiet while a song is being sung. No one is saying we all need to agree with the words..

Nita

Old 04-26-2012, 01:33 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I just don't see whay it hurts people to take 2 minutes out of ther lives and remain quiet while a song is being sung.
Why should they have to?

They are at a ballgame - not a concert, memorial or some other service.

The song has no weight aside from being "patriotic" and has no reason to be sung at that time.

Maybe others should have respect for the large number of people who would rather grab one last beer, hit the bathroom, stretch their legs, chat with friends or simply enjoy the ballpark and ballgame instead of having some ritual that is out of place.

Respect works both ways

Old 04-26-2012, 02:05 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,588 times
Well, you don't like it, don't go then. Pretty simple to me.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:12 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Yeah .... you could say that is pretty simple

Why would you want to cloud anything with complexity or texture

keep it simple

oh so painfully simple

because i'm sure everyone goes to baseball games for the patriotic spectacle

not sure why someone would pay guys like Pujols $20M ....... guy is dominican and can't even sing that well ... teams should use that money on whoever can belt out the best patriotic songs, that is what keeps the fans showing up

it's also why the networks are putting out hundreds of millions on rights deals ...... so they can gain that audience at home that isn't able to make it out to the ballpark to hear such a grand rendition .... it is proudly broadcast for everyone at home to immediately stop what they are doing, crank up their TV and respect America ..... no way they would cut to a revenue producing commercial at such an important moment

Old 04-26-2012, 02:23 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
In another thread you were voicing your displeasure with the fact that the US Olympic athletes will be wearing all white outfits in the closing ceremonies rather than the red, white and blue which you favored.

So, does that mean you will be boycotting the Olmpics and watching none of the coverage under your "Don't like-don't go" rule of simplicity?

Old 04-26-2012, 04:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
If you disapprove of speed limits, don't drive. If you disapprove of income tax, don't work. There should be no place in the America that God so incontrovertibly and singularly blesses, for people to voice their disapproval of things that they can just refrain from participating in. Pretty simple to me.

Furthermore, the song itself is an insult to my sense of justice, logic, and theology. According to Galatians 6:7, we should be singing "God, lead American to reap what we shall sow", instead of mocking God and selfishly ordering that God bestow his blessing on a single nation of the many, and leave all the rest of the world to labor under the brutal physical laws of the universe dispensing blessing according to merit, entropy, or equilibrium.

Even if I believed in God, there is no way in hell I would stand there with my hat in my hand and solemnly ask Him to wreak his vengeance on everyone else, while selectively blessing only those of us lucky enough to endure this seventh inning stretch.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-26-2012 at 05:28 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball