Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2022, 09:20 PM

52,687 posts, read 47,946,017 times

Advertisements

Very concerned now. Two problems with the Astros in Atlanta: (1) The offense isn't clicking and once again had missed opportunities. (2) This bullpen is having some serious problems getting guys out. Montero and Stanek have been awful in recent days after a brilliant first half. This is not right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2022, 05:35 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,511,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Very concerned now. Two problems with the Astros in Atlanta: (1) The offense isn't clicking and once again had missed opportunities. (2) This bullpen is having some serious problems getting guys out. Montero and Stanek have been awful in recent days after a brilliant first half. This is not right.
True.

I also don’t like the extra innings rule change where each half inning starts with a ‘freebie’ base runner on second base.

Old 08-21-2022, 06:50 PM

Astros came back and did a few extra things and got some things done to avoid getting swept by the Braves.

Time for them to come home now and get things going against the Twinkies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post

I also don’t like the extra innings rule change where each half inning starts with a ‘freebie’ base runner on second base.
Depends. If our team wins, then we'll think the rule is great!

Old 08-21-2022, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Astros came back and did a few extra things and got some things done to avoid getting swept by the Braves.

Time for them to come home now and get things going against the Twinkies.

Depends. If our team wins, then we'll think the rule is great!

^^^^^

But still, overall, it just doesn’t feel right to me.

I guess there are certain things that Rob Manfred feels are necessary for the game too survive.

I agree with the designated hitter for the NL, and I think I’m going to like the ‘playing everyone thing’ (lesss intra-divisional play), and I’m sort of on the fence about more teams making the post season, but I don’t like the ‘freebie runner on second base in extra innings’ thing.

Old 08-24-2022, 12:57 AM

Last night’s game ended up in Verlander’s Wikipedia entry because he passed Pedro on the all time strikeouts list.

Six innings, no runs, no hits, no walks, and 10 strikeouts, 91 pitches.

Astros won 4-2

The only base runner for Verlander was because of a wild pitch on a swung on strike three.

Dusty had him on ‘a 90 pitch leash’ because they are going back to a five man rotation.

Verlander is first in the majors in ERA, first in WHIP, tied for first in wins with Tony Bonsolin, tied for 2nd in the majors with Max Fried re Quality Starts (only teammate Framber Valdez is ahead of him), 7th in the majors in WAR for pitchers (and 2nd in the AL), and tied for 13th in the majors in strikeouts.

Hopefully on the way to a ring and a third Cy Young.

Old 08-28-2022, 09:36 PM

Went to the game today (8/28)...Verlander's next start.

Verlander didn't come for the 4th. We didn't learn why for almost two innings when what was initially referred to as 'calf soreness' was announced. After that, it was referred to as 'calf discomfort'. I hope Verlander will be okay for his next start.

He threw 60 pitches in 3 innings, but he did strikeout six and didn't give up any runs.

The bullpen kept the Orioles scoreless until the 9th.

Gurriel got a 2 RBI hit in the 7th, and Bregman hit his 20th HR in the 8th.

The Astros won 3-1, and the Yankees lost their game, so the Astros are back up to a 3 1/2 game lead over the Yankees for the best record in the AL/HFA until at least the end of the ALCS.

It turned out to be 'Dog Day' as well (Awesome!)...many people brought their dogs to the game.

Old 08-29-2022, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Went to the game today (8/28)...Verlander's next start.

Verlander didn't come for the 4th. We didn't learn why for almost two innings when what was initially referred to as 'calf soreness' was announced. After that, it was referred to as 'calf discomfort'. I hope Verlander will be okay for his next start.

He threw 60 pitches in 3 innings, but he did strikeout six and didn't give up any runs.

The bullpen kept the Orioles scoreless until the 9th.

Gurriel got a 2 RBI hit in the 7th, and Bregman hit his 20th HR in the 8th.

The Astros won 3-1, and the Yankees lost their game, so the Astros are back up to a 3 1/2 game lead over the Yankees for the best record in the AL/HFA until at least the end of the ALCS.

It turned out to be 'Dog Day' as well (Awesome!)...many people brought their dogs to the game.
This set with the Orioles turned out to be a dog of a series, especially when the previous series with Minnesota showed so much promise for this homestand.

It should be noted that, since the Astros' 21-run outburst against the White Sox recently, Houston has scored as many as six runs in a game just once during that time. They need to get back on track offensively. They've won just one series in the last couple of weeks.

Old 08-30-2022, 01:41 AM

Quote:
This set with the Orioles turned out to be a dog of a series, especially when the previous series with Minnesota showed so much promise for this homestand.

Quote:
It should be noted that, since the Astros' 21-run outburst against the White Sox recently, Houston has scored as many as six runs in a game just once during that time. They need to get back on track offensively. They've won just one series in the last couple of weeks.
Yeah.

The Yankees are stumbling, but if the Astros make it past the Yankees, the Astros own ‘stumbling’ likely isn’t going to be good enough if they face the Dodgers in the World Series.

Old 08-30-2022, 09:03 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:

I hate it when the Astros score in double digits. It is almost always followed by a run drought.

Old 09-02-2022, 09:36 PM

I love it...The Astros are leading 4-0 in Anaheim, the Yankees lost, and the Dodgers are losing 4-0.

(after 1030pm CST 9/2/22)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball