Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2016, 10:08 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,694,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
Good year. I still think the pitching order would have been better with Kershaw pitching game 5 but ah well, the Cubs were going to win no matter what I think. Clearly the best team in baseball. Can't really care about the WS though. Couldn't care less about either team. haha
Maeda got beat up at home in game 5. That's who would then have to pitch game 6 if Kershaw pitched game 5. Did you really think Maeda could do better than Kershaw in game 6?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2016, 08:50 AM

5,066 posts, read 2,861,393 times
If Kershaw wins game 5, game 6 doesn't matter. It would come down to a game 7 and then all bets are off. I like the chances more in that situation rather than Kershaw in a deciding game. As been noted, his record isn't amazing in those as the starting pitcher.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasW View Post
If Kershaw wins game 5, game 6 doesn't matter. It would come down to a game 7 and then all bets are off. I like the chances more in that situation rather than Kershaw in a deciding game. As been noted, his record isn't amazing in those as the starting pitcher.
A little late here but you make a good point. Plus I think i saw where Kershaw has better #'s on short rest.

Old 11-15-2016, 11:51 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,616,600 times
Cory Seager wins the Rookie of the Year award with unanimous vote.

My questions is did Julio Urias play enough to be considered a rookie this past year, or is next year his rookie year??

If so, we can have back to back ROY winners.

Old 11-15-2016, 09:30 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,129,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
Cory Seager wins the Rookie of the Year award with unanimous vote.

My questions is did Julio Urias play enough to be considered a rookie this past year, or is next year his rookie year??

If so, we can have back to back ROY winners.
Sorry, no. Urias was a rookie in 2016.

The Dodgers had the '79 through '82 run of four consecutive rookies of the year. Rick Sutcliffe, Steve Howe, Fernando Valenzuela and Steve Sax......and then they broke their own record '92 through '96 and had five rookies of the year in a row. Eric Karros, Mike Piazza, Raul Mondesi, Hideo Nomo and Todd Hollandsworth.

Maybe someone will surprise and win RoY for LA, extending a new streak, but it won't be Urias.

Old 11-21-2016, 08:42 AM

De Leon could potentially be a ROY candidate if he does not get traded. I suspect he will have a chance to earn a spot in the rotation unless they pick up 1-2 pitchers.

FYI, rookie status is still intact as long as they do not reach 45 days on the active roster (25 man roster) or 50 innings pitched. De Leon only had about 17 IP. Not sure how many days on the active roster.

Old 12-18-2016, 11:18 AM

64 posts, read 39,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
De Leon could potentially be a ROY candidate if he does not get traded. I suspect he will have a chance to earn a spot in the rotation unless they pick up 1-2 pitchers.

FYI, rookie status is still intact as long as they do not reach 45 days on the active roster (25 man roster) or 50 innings pitched. De Leon only had about 17 IP. Not sure how many days on the active roster.
There seems to be a lot of smoke around De Leon to the Twins for Dozier.

But I think it'd be pretty hard to get De Leon into the rotation (which is why the Dodgers are more likely to move him than, say, someone like Bellinger).

The rotation depth as it stands is something like
Kershaw
Hil
Maeda
Wood
Urias
Kazmir
McCarthy
De Leon
Stripling
Stewart
Ryu

It is, of course, complicated by injuries (Kazmir, McCarthy, Ryu) and innings limits (Urias). I think it's highly unlikely that the Dodgers add more starters and that De Leon starts the year in the rotation.

Old 12-25-2016, 10:29 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueQueuedQuarks View Post
There seems to be a lot of smoke around De Leon to the Twins for Dozier.

But I think it'd be pretty hard to get De Leon into the rotation (which is why the Dodgers are more likely to move him than, say, someone like Bellinger).

The rotation depth as it stands is something like
Kershaw
Hil
Maeda
Wood
Urias
Kazmir
McCarthy
De Leon
Stripling
Stewart
Ryu

It is, of course, complicated by injuries (Kazmir, McCarthy, Ryu) and innings limits (Urias). I think it's highly unlikely that the Dodgers add more starters and that De Leon starts the year in the rotation.
Last year the Dodgers needed 15 starting pitchers.

I wish they could trade Wood, Kazmir, or McCarthy instead of DeLeon. Wood and McCarthy were risky acquisitions who haven't been healthy enough to do anything yet. Maybe they will this year, but you can't count on it. Kazmir is only okay, at best. Of course, they have to keep the ones no one else wants.

Hill was magnificent but only last year. He has never been durable and has only gone above 100 innings twice in his career. Maeda was the only one who made it all the way through the 2016 season, but he taxed the bullpen by averaging about five and a third innings per start. Urias is young, and they will still be careful with him.

A shortage of MLB-ready young pitchers is what forced the Dodgers to throw money at Anderson, McCarthy, and Wood a couple years ago, hoping one or two of them would produce.

Old 02-13-2017, 08:36 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,875,803 times
Who's the new announcer? Won't be the same with Vinny.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:39 PM

4,454 posts, read 3,394,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Who's the new announcer? Won't be the same with Vinny.
Joe Davis. He started doing games last year for most road games when Scully was off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball