Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2018, 08:29 AM

3,564 posts, read 1,922,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Okay I remember reading about the wrist statement you made.

But what about a value for this scenario? I'm asking a serious question because like I said you do think analytically unlike most fans I encounter.

What value could you use for a situation like this knowing that our chances increase to making the playoffs by keeping Arizona further down in the % of them winning the division. At what point do you decide that giving up a low level prospect (guess that would depend on what you consider low level) just to ensure a team like Arizona doesn't get him.

JD Martinez really changed the atmosphere for them last year & I could see Machado doing a lot too.
That's a fair thing to think about, and something I usually don't think about.

Ideally what you'd do is run some simulations and figure out how likely you are to win the division if AZ gets Machado and how likely you are to win if you get him. The difference informs how much you'd be willing to give up to get him.

It's quite possible that Machado was the player that most swung that needle. If so, that increases his value to the Dodgers beyond just what he does in the field for LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2018, 09:05 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
Okay interesting.

Old 07-20-2018, 10:20 AM

3,221 posts, read 1,737,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sll3454 View Post
I don't like it. Maybe he will help them win the World Series, maybe he won't. Maybe he'll get some big hits, then allow a key run through poor defense. Either way, after the season he'll sign some huge contract and be gone.

FIVE prospects, and a couple of them actually good?
1) Dodgers didn't give away their most prized assets (like Urias and Buehler), this is a pretty standard package for a rental, especially one that can help you potentially win it all; 2) Dodgers have a very high chance of re-signing him; and 3) I was just reading an article about how he's very good at hitting in high leverage situations, an area where the Dodgers offense can be passive. He's a great fit in terms of offense. I doubt his shortcomings on defense will negate that.

Overall this was a very worthwhile deal.

Old 07-23-2018, 09:03 PM

Verdugo called up for Turner. I wonder if they brought up Verdugo to show case for a potential trade? He' been in the minors a lot and is doing very well. Might help his stock if he can show some quality at bats at the major league level.

EDIT: Looks like Toles has hamstring issues so that's probably why Verdugo was called up.

Old 07-23-2018, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Verdugo called up for Turner. I wonder if they brought up Verdugo to show case for a potential trade? He' been in the minors a lot and is doing very well. Might help his stock if he can show some quality at bats at the major league level.

EDIT: Looks like Toles has hamstring issues so that's probably why Verdugo was called up.
Verdugo had a quality at bat in tonight's game.

Old 07-24-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBeisbol View Post
Verdugo had a quality at bat in tonight's game.
Yea I saw it. Hope he didn't hurt his back on that one swing

Old 07-25-2018, 09:20 PM

One of my all time favorite players, Andre Ethier, announced his retirement. He spent his entire major league career with the Dodgers after being traded for Milton Bradley and Antonio Perez

Finishes his career at .285/.359/.463 and 21.2 WAR in 12 seasons.

He was extremely consistent with between 1.9 and 3.6 WAR and an OPS+ between 121 and 133 for 6 consecutive seasons,.His final Dodger plate appearance was an RIB single in game 7 of the World Series.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:32 AM

Quote:
One of my all time favorite players, Andre Ethier, announced his retirement. He spent his entire major league career with the Dodgers after being traded for Milton Bradley and Antonio Perez

Finishes his career at .285/.359/.463 and 21.2 WAR in 12 seasons.

He was extremely consistent with between 1.9 and 3.6 WAR and an OPS+ between 121 and 133 for 6 consecutive seasons,.His final Dodger plate appearance was an RIB single in game 7 of the World Series.

Besides holding onto young talent would you say this was one of Neds bright spots of pick ups? I know he got Manny in 2008 but I don't think it was that hard to get Manny considering they wanted him out of Boston so bad. I think Ned got Jeff Kent which was pretty solid but from what I remember we had several bad contracts because of Ned. Andruw Jones, Jason Schmidt. I used to think Pierre pick up was bad but he was still solid from looking at his stats. I guess the bad stick out more than the good.

Old 07-26-2018, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Besides holding onto young talent would you say this was one of Neds bright spots of pick ups? I know he got Manny in 2008 but I don't think it was that hard to get Manny considering they wanted him out of Boston so bad. I think Ned got Jeff Kent which was pretty solid but from what I remember we had several bad contracts because of Ned. Andruw Jones, Jason Schmidt. I used to think Pierre pick up was bad but he was still solid from looking at his stats. I guess the bad stick out more than the good.
Dre was a great get.

As were Kuroda and Saito

The problem, in my opinion, with Ned wasn't so much the individual moves, but his ability to put together a complete roster. His team's always seemed to have glaring holes.

I'm sure the McCourt's restrictions didn't help

Old 07-26-2018, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Dre was a great get.

As were Kuroda and Saito

The problem, in my opinion, with Ned wasn't so much the individual moves, but his ability to put together a complete roster. His team's always seemed to have glaring holes.

I'm sure the McCourt's restrictions didn't help
I remember Saito but wasn't even thinking about him. I looked at his stats. Pretty remarkable what he accomplished given his age at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball