Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2018, 05:36 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just One of the Guys View Post
As sad as this sounds, if Kershaw were to opt out, that might be best for the Dodgers when it comes to the cap. He is no longer a 30+ mil a year player.

And because he's not a 30-million-a-year player, he probably won't opt out. Contracts with opt-out clauses are win-win for the player and lose-lose for the team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2018, 05:47 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Luckily for Kershaw, he's in the NL. If he moved to AL, he'll get pounded night after night with his stuff. His Fastballs barely could get people to swing and miss in the AL. The only thing he has is that windup and delivery that batters eventually make adjustments to. The AL is used to teeing off any pitcher with Fastballs under 96mph and he can't even top more than 94mph. Unless he has a wicked curveball or nasty changeup, he's not gonna make it in the AL. The BoSox spank him around like an avg pitcher. If I were the dodgers I would trade him or hope he opts out. DeGrom or Scherzer has way better stuff than him.

Old 10-29-2018, 05:51 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I haven't followed the Dodgers as a Red Sox fan, but how much stock do you put in Roberts managing this team to two straight World Series. That is no small feat. I just think right now the AL is simply stronger than the NL. The 3 best teams this year were the Red Sox, Astros, & Yankees.
When you are the mgr of a team with the highest payroll you are expected to take the team to the playoff. Andy Boone as a rookie manager did it with the Yanks even though he made a lot of bad decisions. The Yanks are simply good enough to overcome many of his blunders unfortunately this was just the Bosox's year.

Old 10-30-2018, 01:31 AM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
I know it's just a rumor but on mlb network they say he probably will opt out.

But, they think he'll get a 4 year deal but lower AAV.

I'm not sure he'd be down for it but it would be nice to see him get some what an incentivised deal the last two years. Make it where he can make 40m. But require him to pitch X amount of innings (like Maedas contract).

If he does opt out though I think the FO could use that as a way of getting away from his contract. As much as I've been a CK fan for the last 10 years. He's not worth 30m a year. He has been unable to consistenly win the big playoff games.

Old 10-30-2018, 02:51 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,271,700 times
As I said, they should take some of the CK money and spend it on batting coaches. Dodgers batters have too many K's and they don't play small ball.

If they want to beat the American League in the WS, they need to score runs and stop this mentality of swinging for the fences in every pitch.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:32 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
get rid of that bum Machado. I can't believe some team will pay him 200 million dollars or more next season.
It won't happen......dirty player, spiking opposing players, no hustle and NO HITTING!

Manny Machado on his knees striking out to make the final out is going to be stuck in a lot of teams minds. He will get an offer but no way will it be 200 million. Baseball needs less guys like Machado.

Old 10-30-2018, 07:51 AM

17,307 posts, read 22,046,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I fell asleep in the 13th. Happy to see this morning Dodgers won in the 18th inning. 18th? Longest game in WS history.

Max Muncy's home run leading off the bottom of the 18th inning finally ended the longest World Series game in history early Saturday and gave Los Angeles a 3-2 victory over Boston that drew the Dodgers to 2-1 in the best-of-seven matchup.
Game was a fluke in the grand scheme of things. Evoldi came in for 97 pitches in relief!
Had Kinsler not blown the throw in the 12-13th then the game would be over with a win for Boston and saved Nate from having a tired arm. Look at the rest of the games, the Dodgers never put up any runs!

Series reminded me of the 16 Red Sox when they got shut down in the playoffs by the Indians. They simply didn't have it that year. Like the Astros this year, they got shut down quick and simply didn't have it either.

Kershaw was decent in the first appearance but simply tired in the 2nd appearance. I thought Rich Hill was great but that weird mound visit took him out early.

Dodgers need to evaluate the "demo" they got by having Manny Machado on the team and NOT sign him to a mega deal, guy is a bum at the plate and I can't see him getting better by having a fat paycheck.

Old 10-30-2018, 11:59 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,293,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Dodgers need to evaluate the "demo" they got by having Manny Machado on the team and NOT sign him to a mega deal, guy is a bum at the plate and I can't see him getting better by having a fat paycheck.

Agreed. It seems like the time to give your top effort is in the postseason, right before you become a free agent. If he can't run to first base in the World Series, with his future employers watching closely, when can he?

Old 10-31-2018, 06:38 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,693,117 times
If you're the Dodgers FO. Do you offer RYU or Grandal (or both) a QO?

I'm not to sure about RYU. Seems like that might depend on what happens with Kershaw but for Grandal I think it might be a good idea here's why.

Dodgers have catching prospects but probably not ready opening day but later on in the summer? Maybe

It's 17.9m for 1 year. If he declines you get a draft pick next June. Grandal, despite the poor post season still is one of the better hitting catchers. If you give him a 1 year deal I think he comes to play and do much better in hopes of that better contract after 2019.

But what this also does is buy the Dodgers some time in not rushing those catching prospects or giving away prospects for a trade with Realmunto.

Old 10-31-2018, 08:48 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,122,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
Grandal, despite the poor post season still is one of the better hitting catchers. If you give him a 1 year deal I think he comes to play and do much better in hopes of that better contract after 2019.

Baseball Prospectus has Grandal as the 4th most valuable defensive player in all baseball, saving 17.7 runs above average.
https://legacy.baseballprospectus.co...hp?cid=2556909
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball