U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 04-25-2011, 01:25 PM
 
207 posts, read 308,509 times
Reputation: 53

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
If I recall, his first few games were really good until they made the switch to Kobe guarding him. However it seems Kobe is less able to keep up with quick point guards than ever before.... Paul can run circles around him primarily because he's a threat to pop jumpers in your face all day, so Kobe can ill afford to sag on him, and he's not quick enough to keep him out of the lane when Paul goes into his series of dribble moves..... Rondo's greatest offensive attribute is getting in the lane; limit that and you limit his overall effectiveness.
Rondo was very consistent throughout the series, and nearly had a triple double in game 7, 14pts, 10 assists, 8 rebounds. Game 5 he had 18 pts, 8 assists, 5 rebounds. Game 6 in which the Lakers blew out the Celtics by 22 pts, he didnt have as good of numbers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-25-2011, 02:21 PM
 
51,957 posts, read 41,815,822 times
Reputation: 32416
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
If I recall, his first few games were really good until they made the switch to Kobe guarding him. However it seems Kobe is less able to keep up with quick point guards than ever before.... Paul can run circles around him primarily because he's a threat to pop jumpers in your face all day, so Kobe can ill afford to sag on him, and he's not quick enough to keep him out of the lane when Paul goes into his series of dribble moves..... Rondo's greatest offensive attribute is getting in the lane; limit that and you limit his overall effectiveness.
100% agree, Kobe can still reasonably guard Rondo but not any of the guys like Rose or CP etc. I question if the added years allow for him to expend so much energy and Fish is certainly not even where he was last year.

Reminds me of watching a 33+ Jordan guard Iverson who blew past Jordan with a cross-over. Jordan then posted up shorty McIverson for an easy patented fade away at the other end.

Physically, Kobe is past his peak but like Jordan his superb conditioning is keeping his decline more gradual than it has been for other stars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 02:25 PM
 
51,957 posts, read 41,815,822 times
Reputation: 32416
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotchildintheCity View Post
Rondo was very consistent throughout the series, and nearly had a triple double in game 7, 14pts, 10 assists, 8 rebounds. Game 5 he had 18 pts, 8 assists, 5 rebounds. Game 6 in which the Lakers blew out the Celtics by 22 pts, he didnt have as good of numbers.
I guess that Fisher is starting to remind me of Hornacek with Utah. Great players, but the body is just starting to break down and despite the heart and skill.....they just can't get it done and the other guys can't blow tons of extra energy making up the shortfall.

When the Bulls beat Utah in the Finals, they just picked on Hornacek mercillessly at the offensive end. (I think he was about 37 at the time).
Had he been the hornacek from a couple years earlier, I think they beat the Bulls.

The constant dilemma of the NBA....wise, skilled veterans slowing down and injuries popping up vs. the inconsistent youth.

P.S. That Fisher still sees a lot of minutes speaks volumes of the Lakers bench....Walton and his 5mil cap space eating contract in particular.
If the Lakers could move him....they'd have enough money to sign a solid but not great PG and then use Fisher off the bench and they'd be a much better squad.

Last edited by Mathguy; 04-25-2011 at 02:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 02:49 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,881,013 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotchildintheCity View Post
Rondo was very consistent throughout the series, and nearly had a triple double in game 7, 14pts, 10 assists, 8 rebounds. Game 5 he had 18 pts, 8 assists, 5 rebounds. Game 6 in which the Lakers blew out the Celtics by 22 pts, he didnt have as good of numbers.
Well your memory may be better than mine, I seem to recall him being somewhat 'contained' over the last few games of that series, but hey, I won't debate the point with you. I don't think overall he was quite as good as in prior series though, he was having an outstanding playoff run throughout....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 02:55 PM
 
Location: Earth
3,653 posts, read 3,881,013 times
Reputation: 1802
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Reminds me of watching a 33+ Jordan guard Iverson who blew past Jordan with a cross-over. Jordan then posted up shorty McIverson for an easy patented fade away at the other end.
Jordan would have been tested moreso defensively in this era; guys like Wade, Mcgrady, Kobe would have given him a far greater challenge than the guards from his era. Of course, on the flipside of the coin they would have had to guard him as well..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 04:25 PM
 
207 posts, read 308,509 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I guess that Fisher is starting to remind me of Hornacek with Utah. Great players, but the body is just starting to break down and despite the heart and skill.....they just can't get it done and the other guys can't blow tons of extra energy making up the shortfall.

When the Bulls beat Utah in the Finals, they just picked on Hornacek mercillessly at the offensive end. (I think he was about 37 at the time).
Had he been the hornacek from a couple years earlier, I think they beat the Bulls.

The constant dilemma of the NBA....wise, skilled veterans slowing down and injuries popping up vs. the inconsistent youth.

P.S. That Fisher still sees a lot of minutes speaks volumes of the Lakers bench....Walton and his 5mil cap space eating contract in particular.
If the Lakers could move him....they'd have enough money to sign a solid but not great PG and then use Fisher off the bench and they'd be a much better squad.
I think its a little to premature to be thinking about signing another PG in the midst of the playoffs. Once the post season is over and IF its an issue, then appropriate action can be taken. At 36 he's still a very crafty veteran, who can still get the job done. Further the Lakers are still the defending world champions with other strengths. When they won game 7 last year against the Celtics, it wasnt because how the guards played, Kobe was 6-24 from the field, Fisher only had 10 pts. It was rebounds. Kobe had 15 boards, Gasol had 18. No rebounds No rings. Lakers have nice size at the front line. Thus thats why they are a legitmate threat to 3 peat. Not to take anything from the back court, if healthy its still first rate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 04:26 PM
 
207 posts, read 308,509 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Well your memory may be better than mine, I seem to recall him being somewhat 'contained' over the last few games of that series, but hey, I won't debate the point with you. I don't think overall he was quite as good as in prior series though, he was having an outstanding playoff run throughout....
You were probably thinking about game 6.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 06:36 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shysister View Post
It is over for the Magic. I never thought they would get axed in the 1st round but then again if they were the same team pre trade, they more than likely wouldn't have.
The Magic is far from being done
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 08:34 PM
 
Location: Englewood, Near Eastside Indy
8,341 posts, read 14,104,968 times
Reputation: 5964
How about those Grizzlies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-25-2011, 08:46 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,320,986 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
How about those Grizzlies!
They defintely shocked the hell out of me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top