Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 09:22 PM

1,542 posts, read 6,041,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tappan Zee View Post
Stern just killed this deal cause some of the owners complained about the deal, this deal is now dead, no?
There's a conflict of interest with the NBA owning the Hornets.
At the moment, I don't see what the teams violated in the deal.
agreed. i mean, i can totally understand why the other owners would be opposed to this deal (i.e. the rich get richer), but was there really a legitimate, valid reason for killing it altogether besides sour grapes? if everything was above board and kosher, a trade shouldn't get blocked even if it helps one of the league's premier teams.

what happened tonight kind of reminds me of when a big trade gets blocked by the other owners in a fantasy league.

interesting to see how this plays out, and where CP3 ultimately ends up.

Old 12-08-2011, 10:19 PM

650 posts, read 1,812,334 times
It is so idiotic what Stern just did! He basically made it so no teams will negotiate for Paul anymore, not knowing if Stern will block it again. I don't think the trade was that unfair, considering the size the Lakers gave up. Stern should not have the power to do this.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:24 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
That is interesting...the NBA owners voiding the deal? Wow. Has something like that ever happened in sports? Well, I guess not because what other team in pro sports is owned by...the league?

Old 12-08-2011, 11:26 PM

5,163 posts, read 3,658,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
agreed. i mean, i can totally understand why the other owners would be opposed to this deal (i.e. the rich get richer), but was there really a legitimate, valid reason for killing it altogether besides sour grapes? if everything was above board and kosher, a trade shouldn't get blocked even if it helps one of the league's premier teams.

what happened tonight kind of reminds me of when a big trade gets blocked by the other owners in a fantasy league.

interesting to see how this plays out, and where CP3 ultimately ends up.
Yeah, what is now a 'legal' trade for CP3--where can he go? I wasnt a fan of him going to the Lakers, but I couldnt see the grounds for voiding a trade. If the deal sent him to Minnesota, would that be good? What about the Heat? I guess he could go to Miami if, say, D Wade came back in return?

Old 12-08-2011, 11:31 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,973,693 times
The NBA didn't violate anything. They OWN the Hornets. The NBA just vetoed the trade because they can. They've been wanting to sell the Hornets and no one has touched them. IDK how it even got this far, that's what is interesting to me. I'm guessing the Hornets' GM ok'ed it without asking the owners?

I think it would be an awful trade for the Lakers. They are banking Howard goes to them next season. I've said this a million times; KOBE IS OLD. He can not lead a championship team anymore. 15 years in the league, over 40,000 minutes played putting him in the top 30 of all time. I'm not hating on Kobe, I love him but people are ignoring the facts.

Paul is injury prone as well.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:46 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,539,581 times
Dan Gilbert's letter to NBA:

Commissioner,

It would be a travesty to allow the Lakers to acquire Chris Paul in the apparent trade being discussed.
This trade should go to a vote of the 29 owners of the Hornets.
Over the next three seasons this deal would save the Lakers approximately $20 million in salaries and approximately $21 million in luxury taxes. That $21 million goes to non-taxpaying teams and to fund revenue sharing.
I cannot remember ever seeing a trade where a team got by far the best player in the trade and saved over $40 million in the process. And it doesn’t appear that they would give up any draft picks, which might allow to later make a trade for Dwight Howard. (They would also get a large trade exception that would help them improve their team and/or eventually trade for Howard.) When the Lakers got Pau (at the time considered an extremely lopsided trade) they took on tens of millions in additional salary and luxury tax and they gave up a number of prospects (one in Marc Gasol who may become a max-salary player).
I just don’t see how we can allow this trade to happen.
I know the vast majority of owners feel the same way that I do.
When will we just change the name of 25 of the 30 teams to the Washington Generals?
Please advise….
Dan G.

Old 12-09-2011, 12:24 AM

2,883 posts, read 5,892,164 times
Kobe is "old", but I looked up the most minutes played (over 40,000).

-A lot of them are big guys. Jabbar, Moses Malone, Chamberlain, Parish, Olajuwon, Shaq.

Smaller guys like Kobe can keep going....i.e. stockton, reggie miller, kidd, gary payton at 47,000 minutes. Kareem played until 57,000 minutes, so you can't say Kobe is going to be out of gas soon.

I think he's probably in the 7th inning of his career.

LOL about Odom. He was probably the most shocked man in Los Angeles tonight.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:51 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,896,427 times
David Stern and the NBA have too much power now...

Old 12-09-2011, 06:34 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
Kobe is "old", but I looked up the most minutes played (over 40,000).

-A lot of them are big guys. Jabbar, Moses Malone, Chamberlain, Parish, Olajuwon, Shaq.

Smaller guys like Kobe can keep going....i.e. stockton, reggie miller, kidd, gary payton at 47,000 minutes. Kareem played until 57,000 minutes, so you can't say Kobe is going to be out of gas soon.
Bigmen tend to peak at or around 30, in recent history Shaq peaked at 28-29, Duncan and Garnett same, Hakeem peaked at 31, Ewing around 29-30, David Robinson at 30. Since a guards game is more dependent on speed and quickness, most guards will peak younger and will have to alter their games, if possible, in order to remain effective. By 32, the typical guard begins to show the effects of time by way of decreased athletic explosion/ quickness/ speed. A few can compensate for it by reinventing themselves( Jordan in the second three peat, Kobe now), deadeye shooters like Reggie or Ray Allen can remain effective as shooting isn't diminished with age, Stockton and Kidd were and are more cerebral talents whose games were not solely dependent on speed, allowing them to be effective in old basketball age. A classic example of a guard whose entire game was based on quickness and/ or athleticism, quickly falling off by 32-33? Allen Iverson, Vince Carter spring to mind immediately....

Kobe still has the extremely high skill level to be effective now, but I do feel the passage of time has eroded his ability to carry the Lakers without significant help like a Chris Paul or a Dwight Howard on the squad. He was clearly deadlegged by the end of last season, and let's no forget the myriad of injuries he has played through. Which is to his credit, but may not have done himself any favors as he approaches mid 30's. We'll see how much he's got left in the tank, if he can raise his game to 'that' level when the Lakers need it most.

Old 12-09-2011, 06:58 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,490,863 times
It's annoying because if the owners didnt like this deal now, whats going to happen next year? Paul walks as a free agent and joins a team like the Lakers anyways. So basically they are sacraficing the future of the Hornets to sell a few extra tickets in NO this year. It's short term, and very dumb thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball