Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:03 AM

78,431 posts, read 60,613,724 times

Advertisements

I have had my suspicions this season but wanted to wait until I had enough evidence to make a solid case. This isn't a negative attack on Kobe, it just is what it is.

Kobe knows his Lakers championship chances are dead, at least for his remaining prime years.

So, he is pushing for other accolades to legacy-build.

Evidence:
1) He showed up at the all-star game playing full-out serious to secure MVP.

and more importantly

2) This season he is clearly after the scoring title, taking about 3-4 more shots per game than over the past 5 years and shooting his lowest FG% since the year after Shaq left the Lakers.

Kobe Bryant NBA & ABA Statistics | Basketball-Reference.com

Based upon what I'm seeing, I no longer have any doubts that Kobe will keep playing until he passes as many records as possible, likely well past his prime.

I think he is definitely after Kareems all-time pts record.

He has 2 more seasons with the Lakers with huge $$$ on the contract so the question is if after that ends will he bolt for another team then at age 36 to try to get more rings or if he will just ride it out and push for scoring records etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2012, 08:11 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,672,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I have had my suspicions this season but wanted to wait until I had enough evidence to make a solid case. This isn't a negative attack on Kobe, it just is what it is.

Kobe knows his Lakers championship chances are dead, at least for his remaining prime years.

So, he is pushing for other accolades to legacy-build.

Evidence:
1) He showed up at the all-star game playing full-out serious to secure MVP.

and more importantly

2) This season he is clearly after the scoring title, taking about 3-4 more shots per game than over the past 5 years and shooting his lowest FG% since the year after Shaq left the Lakers.

Kobe Bryant NBA & ABA Statistics | Basketball-Reference.com

Based upon what I'm seeing, I no longer have any doubts that Kobe will keep playing until he passes as many records as possible, likely well past his prime.

I think he is definitely after Kareems all-time pts record.

He has 2 more seasons with the Lakers with huge $$$ on the contract so the question is if after that ends will he bolt for another team then at age 36 to try to get more rings or if he will just ride it out and push for scoring records etc.
You don't say anything here I disagree with. I heard on the radio that he broke his nose and kept playing, is that true?
I wouldn't count out the Lakers though if they get another superstar.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:30 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,093,678 times
This kinda falls into what I was saying at the beginning of the season. He is not THAT far out of the race for most points, and barring major injury he is and always was IMO shooting for the points record.

Last night he didn't want the MVP as much as to pass Jordan for points in ASG all time.

All that said, I respect his drive and once again you can see he uses personal issues as motivation on the court. He would go to court for his rape case and fly to a playoff game and light everyone up the same day. His divorce is having a similar effect I think.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
This kinda falls into what I was saying at the beginning of the season. He is not THAT far out of the race for most points, and barring major injury he is and always was IMO shooting for the points record.

Last night he didn't want the MVP as much as to pass Jordan for points in ASG all time.

All that said, I respect his drive and once again you can see he uses personal issues as motivation on the court. He would go to court for his rape case and fly to a playoff game and light everyone up the same day. His divorce is having a similar effect I think.
I don't think he is playing better this year, he is just shooting more.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I wouldn't count out the Lakers though if they get another superstar.
They aready have Pau and Bynum....and ZERO cap room for this season and next.

Granted, if they can trade World Peace and Luke Walton for Dwight Howard then that would have a major impact. But it's going to take some type of insane charity trade for them to improve that team anytime soon.

Phil knew this. They built that team to make their run just like the Celtics did. Honestly, I look at the Lakers and I don't see a guy on that team past the Big 3 that is a legitimate NBA starter or even good reserve player.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:41 AM

7,912 posts, read 10,093,678 times
I think he is playing better then just about everyone expected him to. Considering all the injuries he has refused to sit out for or even get fixed. His fingers, his wrist, knee and so on. Does he last 38 mpg this season or does he ease off the legacy building? One has to give at some point

Old 02-27-2012, 09:23 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times
Kobe's legacy is going to be built on longevity( kind of like the Karl Malone of shooting guards). He'll amass alot of records simply because of the number of years he'll play to get them. Guys like Lebron and Durant got off to quicker starts though, so health permitting and if they maintain a high level of play into their 30's, they'll be nipping at his heels. Hell, Lebron is closing in on 20,000 points already, and he's 27.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigas View Post
I think he is playing better then just about everyone expected him to. Considering all the injuries he has refused to sit out for or even get fixed. His fingers, his wrist, knee and so on. Does he last 38 mpg this season or does he ease off the legacy building? One has to give at some point
He won't, he is clearly after the scoring title this year since his team is FUBAR.

The tough part is that 25ppg x 80 games played (out of 82) for 5 more seasons is what he needs to pass Kareem (as one example)

That's not going to happen unless he is very fortunate with injuries.

If he can put up 2000pts the next 2 seasons he'd be 35 and could then spend 4 years needing only 1500pts a season which is do-able but again, he'd have to be very lucky with the injury bug.

Two seasons with 50 games and 1000 pts. puts him another year behind and so on and so forth the slope can rapidly turn slippery.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg1977 View Post
Kobe's legacy is going to be built on longevity( kind of like the Karl Malone of shooting guards). He'll amass alot of records simply because of the number of years he'll play to get them. Guys like Lebron and Durant got off to quicker starts though, so health permitting and if they maintain a high level of play into their 30's, they'll be nipping at his heels. Hell, Lebron is closing in on 20,000 points already, and he's 27.
Good point about Lebron. 2k points a year and he will be sitting up at 32k when he is 33. Then again, that's 6 years and who knows what can happen in 6 years.

Malone got to within 1400pts of Kareem and came to a screeching halt. Kobe is still 10,000pts away.

Old 02-27-2012, 10:13 AM

3,652 posts, read 4,708,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Good point about Lebron. 2k points a year and he will be sitting up at 32k when he is 33. Then again, that's 6 years and who knows what can happen in 6 years.

Malone got to within 1400pts of Kareem and came to a screeching halt. Kobe is still 10,000pts away.
I actually think Durant is better poised to be scoring at a 30 ppg clip once he hits 33 years old, than Lebron. The nature of his offensive game in IMO built to age gracefully, I'm not sure I can say the same about Lebron unless he continues to improve his shooting, footwork, post game, etc. But at this rate, Lebron will probably hit 20,000 midway through next season, and that's taking into account that he lost 17 games this year due to the lockout. That alone amounts to over 400 points lost at his current scoring average. Heck, Durant likely would have passed 10,000 this year if not for the lockout, and he's 23. So yeah, if either of those two play in good health to about 35 with high production, they're going to be knocking on Kareem's door as well( assuming Kobe doesn't quite make it).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball