Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 07:29 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,196,139 times

Advertisements

Wiggins with a near half court jumper to beat the Thunder. He was huge down the stretch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 07:57 PM

482 posts, read 399,178 times
My random thoughts on the NBA season so far:

- Am I wrong for wanting the Knicks to go 0-82? I like Porzingis, but I feel like the franchise should pay the ultimate price for their long-term incompetence.

- Ben Simmons is every bit as good and as fun to watch as I expected. He's the closest thing to a new generation LeBron I've seen.

- D'Angelo Russell has a green light to be as immature as he'd like and still run a team. Basically what he's always wanted. If he can't become an impact player now, I don't know if he ever will.

- Giannis for MVP and becoming a clear Top 5 player in the league by season's end sounds like a good bet.

- Horrible what happened to Gordon Hayward. Am I the only person who feels like Boston can still easily be the 2nd best team in the East without him, though? Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum suddenly have a lot more pressure on them as young players, but I actually think they're talented and mature enough to handle it.

- I see Carmelo thriving in OKC. The best he's ever been as a teammate was when he played next to Chauncey Billups in Denver, an elite point guard who commanded respect and ran the offense his way, but at the same time made sure Melo got his touches -- at the end of possessions. Westbrook is the new Chauncey in Melo's life.

- Lavar Ball is toying with the NBA world, getting everyone to overreact to every stupid thing he says or does. Why anyone takes him seriously enough to even get offended is beyond me. He's like Charles Barkley without the actual talent. His boy Lonzo is good though. Lonzo has the potential to be really good, but he might get off to a rough start with so many tough vets like Patrick Beverly out to destroy him.

- New Orleans will be interesting to observe. I think even in a small ball basketball world, the team with the two best bigs in the league should be able to do some damage. It'll be sad if the Pelicans are not very good this year. It could also be the nail in the coffin for anyone believing DeMarcus Cousins' talent can possibly overcome his immaturity.

- Prime D-Wade was one of my favorite players. Which is why I want him to retire at the end of the season. He doesn't have it anymore. Any of it. There's no need to further diminish his legacy. He doesn't have a Mamba-esque 60 point send-off in him.

- Still can't quite figure out how Dwight Howard became the most hated player in the NBA. I wonder if he'll be able to redeem himself in Charlotte. It looks like a really good fit for him.

- The Warriors may be at that point where they're their own worst enemy: they're bored with kicking everyone's a**.

- Two-man horse-race between Lonzo Ball and Ben Simmons for Rookie of the Year?

- Young athletic teams with lots of talent still lose because they haven't learned to play NBA level defense yet (Lakers, Sixers, etc).

Old 10-23-2017, 08:35 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,652,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Wiggins with a near half court jumper to beat the Thunder. He was huge down the stretch.
The poise shown by the TWolves in that situation is really encouraging. Up to now they would’ve always found a way to bungle a winning opportunity.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:43 AM

3,569 posts, read 2,521,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Ball's been overhyped by his dad as well as the Lakers'.

Even if he will one day be a HOF calibre player they've generally had rough first seasons as they adjust to well, just about everything being different at that level.

That being said I think we give the young man at least half a season or more before coming to any real conclusions.

I think he's going to be fine, we just need to have realistic expectations.
Ball has vision & IQ. His shot is funky, he's still too young to have developed NBA strength. Even without a better shooting motion, he will be a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenalot View Post
Remember when the Warriors thought they were gonna be a dynasty and Klay was envisaging being like when the Beatles/90sBulls came to town.....?
I found that attitude so offensive, given that they never even won back-to-back titles, and the West is full of talent now more than ever, very conceivable that they'll be eliminated.
Keep dreaming. <Knocking on wood> If healthy, the Warriors will cruise to the Finals and collect #3 over a valiant effort from LBJ. You have to measure them against the 90s Bulls, the Shaq/Kobe Lakers, and other all-time great teams because that is where they belong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Looks like Giannis could be the next Lebron. He can probably play 4 or 5 positions.

Last year - 23/9/5 on 52% shooting plus 2 blocks at 22 years old darn near rivals many of Lebron’s seasons. Looks like he’s on pace this year at 23 to statistically match or surpass even Lebron’s best season.
Giannis is already a special talent. I hope the Bucks can keep this collection of length & talent together, because they are already a tough team and they are still so young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amenalot View Post
Its great to see someone scoring at that clip without much of a perimeter game.
Perimeter shooting has become absolutely mindnumbing to watch.
I love the perimeter game, but I'm most impressed by Giannis' ability to work off the dribble without the best handles. He has gotten really good at using his length and stride to keep defenders at bay while he attacks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasgoldrush View Post
My random thoughts on the NBA season so far:

- Am I wrong for wanting the Knicks to go 0-82? I like Porzingis, but I feel like the franchise should pay the ultimate price for their long-term incompetence.
The worst NBA team owner (from a basketball perspective)--well, Ranadive is right there with him.

Quote:
- Ben Simmons is every bit as good and as fun to watch as I expected. He's the closest thing to a new generation LeBron I've seen.
He will be special. We don't often see bigs with his size, passing, handles, and BBIQ.

Quote:
- D'Angelo Russell has a green light to be as immature as he'd like and still run a team. Basically what he's always wanted. If he can't become an impact player now, I don't know if he ever will.
The Nets won't be good. They are too young and don't have enough talent. Russell is a starting-caliber player. I don't think he will ever be the best player on a contender.

Quote:
- Giannis for MVP and becoming a clear Top 5 player in the league by season's end sounds like a good bet.
I don't think he'll win it this year, but it is coming as long as the Bucks keep getting better.

Quote:
- Horrible what happened to Gordon Hayward. Am I the only person who feels like Boston can still easily be the 2nd best team in the East without him, though? Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum suddenly have a lot more pressure on them as young players, but I actually think they're talented and mature enough to handle it.
They won't be as good as the Bucks or the Wizards--maybe not as good as the Heat, Hornets, or Raptors. Their young talent will grow, though.

Quote:
- I see Carmelo thriving in OKC. The best he's ever been as a teammate was when he played next to Chauncey Billups in Denver, an elite point guard who commanded respect and ran the offense his way, but at the same time made sure Melo got his touches -- at the end of possessions. Westbrook is the new Chauncey in Melo's life.
Westbrook and Billups could not be more different. Those Nuggets couldn't be more different than these Thunder. And don't forget that Melo demanded a trade after his greatest success in Denver.

Quote:
- Lavar Ball is toying with the NBA world, getting everyone to overreact to every stupid thing he says or does. Why anyone takes him seriously enough to even get offended is beyond me. He's like Charles Barkley without the actual talent. His boy Lonzo is good though. Lonzo has the potential to be really good, but he might get off to a rough start with so many tough vets like Patrick Beverly out to destroy him.
Rookies are never that good. But the talent is there. I think he will be a special player after a couple of years developing.

Quote:
- New Orleans will be interesting to observe. I think even in a small ball basketball world, the team with the two best bigs in the league should be able to do some damage. It'll be sad if the Pelicans are not very good this year. It could also be the nail in the coffin for anyone believing DeMarcus Cousins' talent can possibly overcome his immaturity.
People like to talk about Cousins' immaturity as the problem, but the biggest problem is that he's never played on a well-constructed team. Sacramento was and is a profile in hopelessness. The Pelicans are short on shooting and are Exhibit A in the need to move to a one-big squad in the NBA.

Quote:
- Prime D-Wade was one of my favorite players. Which is why I want him to retire at the end of the season. He doesn't have it anymore. Any of it. There's no need to further diminish his legacy. He doesn't have a Mamba-esque 60 point send-off in him.
He's got a lot of basketball miles at age 35. We'll see some turn-back-the-clock nights on offense this year. But he's a much more limited player now.

Quote:
- Still can't quite figure out how Dwight Howard became the most hated player in the NBA. I wonder if he'll be able to redeem himself in Charlotte. It looks like a really good fit for him.
I'm a believer in this Dwight Howard experiment. I hope he is healthy, and has an opportunity to flourish again.

Quote:
- The Warriors may be at that point where they're their own worst enemy: they're bored with kicking everyone's a**.
They still look like a training camp team. That won't last. It especially won't last when Curry, Draymond, and Iguodala can play ordinary rotations (without foul trouble & injuries).

Quote:
- Two-man horse-race between Lonzo Ball and Ben Simmons for Rookie of the Year?
That's the way it looks to me.

Quote:
- Young athletic teams with lots of talent still lose because they haven't learned to play NBA level defense yet (Lakers, Sixers, etc).
Certainly true. They also don't protect the ball, get to their spots, and make timely effort plays the way veterans do. I think the Bucks turn the corner this year from a young team with potential to the Cavs' toughest out in the East.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:59 AM

5,828 posts, read 5,635,141 times
Giannis is not yet a Top 5 player and I'm only going to call him fringe Top 10 (somewhere between 9 and 12). This love affair everyone is having with him right now, I get it, but he's not there yet...

I can see Ball developing into a good player. Great? I don't know. I don't think he's better than Simmons now, and when it's all said and done Simmons should have the more prolific career, although Ball could have more accomplishments by virtue of where he plays. He's more Steve Nash to me. He'll develop into a really good player, but he won't go down as an All-Timer...

Cavs have to bring Wade off the bench with the second unit. He's of little value as more than a role player. Start JR as we have been, get Wade 15-20 off the bench. If he can pour in 12-15/game, that will be enough, unless he tanks coming off the pine as well...

The Golden State Divas are in for a helluva wakeup call this year. Most unlikable team ever. I can't wait to watch them lose against quality opponents...

Old 10-23-2017, 11:35 AM

3,397 posts, read 2,805,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Giannis is not yet a Top 5 player and I'm only going to call him fringe Top 10 (somewhere between 9 and 12). This love affair everyone is having with him right now, I get it, but he's not there yet...

I can see Ball developing into a good player. Great? I don't know. I don't think he's better than Simmons now, and when it's all said and done Simmons should have the more prolific career, although Ball could have more accomplishments by virtue of where he plays. He's more Steve Nash to me. He'll develop into a really good player, but he won't go down as an All-Timer...

Cavs have to bring Wade off the bench with the second unit. He's of little value as more than a role player. Start JR as we have been, get Wade 15-20 off the bench. If he can pour in 12-15/game, that will be enough, unless he tanks coming off the pine as well...

The Golden State Divas are in for a helluva wakeup call this year. Most unlikable team ever. I can't wait to watch them lose against quality opponents...
Correct on Wade's role. I hope Wade can accept the 15-20 mins. a night role.

The Warriors are fine if they regain Hunger and Health. Last year they a perfect storm of good fortune. Very rare that you get an uber talented team that remains healthy and is equally motivated and hungry. It won't be easy this year. This will easily be their most impressive year (regardless of record) if they capture the title.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post

It's far too early to call the better player between Ball & Simmons. But both are phenomenal prospects.

Giannis is not a top 5 player, but he is coming into his own and turns 23 in December. He is a great player, and the NBA's future is bright. Obviously a great 3 game sample is not the same as an MVP season. People overreact to a few games. But Giannis was great last year, and he is going to keep getting better.

Wade's main role should be as a scorer/ball handler with the 2nd unit--though the Thomas injury complicates rotations for the Cavs. The Cavs need him to have a couple of vintage defensive performances in the Finals. I don't think they will get those.

It's a shame you can't appreciate what we get to watch in Oakland this year. You are only hurting yourself. Showtime Lakers->Jordan Bulls->Shaq/Kobe->Heatles->Motion Spurs->Curry's Warriors. The evolution of apex pro basketball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Correct on Wade's role. I hope Wade can accept the 15-20 mins. a night role.

The Warriors are fine if they regain Hunger and Health. Last year they a perfect storm of good fortune. Very rare that you get an uber talented team that remains healthy and is equally motivated and hungry. It won't be easy this year. This will easily be their most impressive year (regardless of record) if they capture the title.
Durant missed a month with a knee injury last year, and then missed half of the Portland series.

The Warriors have continuity, stars in their prime, and talent. They need health.

Their competition, for the most part, got worse. The Cavs took a couple of steps sideways (if health goes their way). The Spurs took a step back, both personnel and age-related. The Rockets took a step forward against everyone else in the league, but didn't move the needle against the Warriors. The Warriors big loss was Ian Clark--a useful regular season player, a solid spot backup, but unplayable against an elite offensive guard in the playoffs. Ian was also #9 or 10 in the rotation last year. Much more importantly, the Warriors now have a full year with KD under their belt. They will be a better team for that familiarity this year. I think health is the biggest barrier between them & #3 out of 4.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:00 PM

3,397 posts, read 2,805,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
It's far too early to call the better player between Ball & Simmons. But both are phenomenal prospects.

Giannis is not a top 5 player, but he is coming into his own and turns 23 in December. He is a great player, and the NBA's future is bright. Obviously a great 3 game sample is not the same as an MVP season. People overreact to a few games. But Giannis was great last year, and he is going to keep getting better.

Wade's main role should be as a scorer/ball handler with the 2nd unit--though the Thomas injury complicates rotations for the Cavs. The Cavs need him to have a couple of vintage defensive performances in the Finals. I don't think they will get those.

It's a shame you can't appreciate what we get to watch in Oakland this year. You are only hurting yourself. Showtime Lakers->Jordan Bulls->Shaq/Kobe->Heatles->Motion Spurs->Curry's Warriors. The evolution of apex pro basketball.

Durant missed a month with a knee injury last year, and then missed half of the Portland series.

The Warriors have continuity, stars in their prime, and talent. They need health.

Their competition, for the most part, got worse. The Cavs took a couple of steps sideways (if health goes their way). The Spurs took a step back, both personnel and age-related. The Rockets took a step forward against everyone else in the league, but didn't move the needle against the Warriors. The Warriors big loss was Ian Clark--a useful regular season player, a solid spot backup, but unplayable against an elite offensive guard in the playoffs. Ian was also #9 or 10 in the rotation last year. Much more importantly, the Warriors now have a full year with KD under their belt. They will be a better team for that familiarity this year. I think health is the biggest barrier between them & #3 out of 4.
Yet they were 100% healthy when it mattered. Maybe I point this out more because it seemed like everyone in their path had a key injury (aside from Cle) during crunch time.

Drive and Hunger can play a huge role. You had guys like Durant playing with a massive chip on his shoulder and the Warriors in general trying to bury a 73 win no title year where they firmly believed they should have won. This factor didn't surprise me, but is it present this year???

What surprised me was the quick integration of a Superstar like Durant- say what you want about that's just the way the organization works and its the culture- but you are pairing two former MVPs together and you have one ball. Year 1 it worked well. I have no reason to believe it won't work well again.

But will injuries come into play and will there be the same axe to grind type mentality that really made the Warriors a tough out last year.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:22 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,004,421 times
A few observations.

Dennis Smith Jr. will be in the running for rookie of the year.

Boston was a solid 2nd best team in the east before the Hayward injury, now 4 or 5. I believe Toronto is number 2 now.

I have the pleasure of seeing all of Giannis's games due to living in Milwaukee. He is much stronger than last year and 10 pounds heavy in a good way. He has improved with playing through contact and has gotten to the point where he bullies large players around the basket, such as Baynes on Boston. As hard as it is to believe he is much improved over last year and last year he was 2nd team all NBA. He has reached elite level.

Really surprised that Golden State is 1-2 and struggled in their only win vs New Orleans.

Chicago is beyond bad. Almost a G league roster. Just awful.

The Chris Paul/Harden experiment may have problems.

The Lakers are going nowhere this year and Ball will be hot and cold. His shot and mid range is a problem.

Simmons has to look to shoot on occasion. He puts the ball on the floor and drives every time. Has to mix it up.

Old 10-23-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastbias View Post
Yet they were 100% healthy when it mattered. Maybe I point this out more because it seemed like everyone in their path had a key injury (aside from Cle) during crunch time.

Drive and Hunger can play a huge role. You had guys like Durant playing with a massive chip on his shoulder and the Warriors in general trying to bury a 73 win no title year where they firmly believed they should have won. This factor didn't surprise me, but is it present this year???

What surprised me was the quick integration of a Superstar like Durant- say what you want about that's just the way the organization works and its the culture- but you are pairing two former MVPs together and you have one ball. Year 1 it worked well. I have no reason to believe it won't work well again.

But will injuries come into play and will there be the same axe to grind type mentality that really made the Warriors a tough out last year.
I don't buy drive and hunger as the difference makers. I buy talent. Same as last year, the Warriors are more talented than all of their competition. Health would not have helped the Blazers, Jazz, or Spurs get over the GSW mountain last year.

Durant was integrated last year because Steph Curry is the most unselfish superstar in basketball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Trafton View Post
A few observations.

Dennis Smith Jr. will be in the running for rookie of the year.

Boston was a solid 2nd best team in the east before the Hayward injury, now 4 or 5. I believe Toronto is number 2 now.

I have the pleasure of seeing all of Giannis's games due to living in Milwaukee. He is much stronger than last year and 10 pounds heavy in a good way. He has improved with playing through contact and has gotten to the point where he bullies large players around the basket, such as Baynes on Boston. As hard as it is to believe he is much improved over last year and last year he was 2nd team all NBA. He has reached elite level.

Really surprised that Golden State is 1-2 and struggled in their only win vs New Orleans.

Chicago is beyond bad. Almost a G league roster. Just awful.

The Chris Paul/Harden experiment may have problems.

The Lakers are going nowhere this year and Ball will be hot and cold. His shot and mid range is a problem.

Simmons has to look to shoot on occasion. He puts the ball on the floor and drives every time. Has to mix it up.
I expect Giannis has improved--he's at an age where players typically make big strides. He & the Bucks will be really fun to watch this year and for years to come.

The Warriors are playing like they're still in preseason. There's nothing broken, just a lack of game conditioning & focus. They will be fine.

I think Paul & Harden will work well together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball