Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2018, 11:03 AM

10,764 posts, read 4,346,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
They took clear steps back this offseason, and their early season reminds us of that. They won't be the one seed. More importantly, they will be worse in the playoffs than they were last year.

Is CP3 already washed? I don't think so, but his early season is a flashing sign of why it was a bad idea to give him a four year max.
The Warriors can't seem to win without Curry lately, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Rockets pass them in a week or so.
I expect Rockets to finish with the #1 seed, but I expect the Warriors to reach the NBA Finals.
The Rockets are just so perfect for the regular season, even with worse defense this year.
Of course, defense is less important than ever, now with the "freedom of movement" rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2018, 12:06 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGAalot View Post
The Warriors can't seem to win without Curry lately, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Rockets pass them in a week or so.
I expect Rockets to finish with the #1 seed, but I expect the Warriors to reach the NBA Finals.
The Rockets are just so perfect for the regular season, even with worse defense this year.
Of course, defense is less important than ever, now with the "freedom of movement" rule.

Defense is going to remain important, and even more so in the playoffs. Steph is going to come back in a week or so, Draymond a couple weeks after that, and the Warriors will return to form. The best offense is still transition, which feeds off of defensive stops. In the playoffs, refs will continue their tradition of swallowing their whistles and letting players play.

Old 11-19-2018, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Defense is going to remain important, and even more so in the playoffs. Steph is going to come back in a week or so, Draymond a couple weeks after that, and the Warriors will return to form. The best offense is still transition, which feeds off of defensive stops. In the playoffs, refs will continue their tradition of swallowing their whistles and letting players play.
No chance of that in the regular season, that's why Houston will coast to the #1 seed regardless of their defense.
In terms of actual basketball, the NBA is doomed, thanks to Silver.
As for Golden State, I don't have any confidence in Curry's body, will probably miss more games toward the end of the regular season either with injury or precaution for the playoffs.
And Golden State have confidence they can beat Houston again even if Houston have the home-court advantage, so they won't hesitate to sit Curry.
Whereas Houston are desperate for the home-court advantage and will play their stars as much as necessary to finish #1.

Old 11-22-2018, 05:04 AM

Philly are now 10-0 at home, the only undefeated home team in the NBA, here's their last 3 games:
Philly def. New Orleans 121-120.....Simmons = 22 points, 8 rebounds, 7 assists
Philly def. Phoenix 119-114.....Simmons = 19 points, 11 rebounds, 9 assists
Philly def. Charlotte 122-119.....Simmons = 23 points, 11 rebounds, 9 assists

Old 11-22-2018, 10:56 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Embiid, Simmons are playing well. Butler has talent to take over if the others are off. Reddick can get hot.

The future seems bright. I'm liking it...

Old 11-22-2018, 12:17 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,653,459 times
Quote:
No chance of that in the regular season, that's why Houston will coast to the #1 seed regardless of their defense.
In terms of actual basketball, the NBA is doomed, thanks to Silver.
As for Golden State, I don't have any confidence in Curry's body, will probably miss more games toward the end of the regular season either with injury or precaution for the playoffs.
And Golden State have confidence they can beat Houston again even if Houston have the home-court advantage, so they won't hesitate to sit Curry.
Whereas Houston are desperate for the home-court advantage and will play their stars as much as necessary to finish #1.
It's concerning how Curry's body seems to be breaking down often, and he's not getting any younger.

It's obvious the Dubs without a fully healthy Curry have zero chance at even making it to the NBA finals.

Old 11-22-2018, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
It's concerning how Curry's body seems to be breaking down often, and he's not getting any younger.

It's obvious the Dubs without a fully healthy Curry have zero chance at even making it to the NBA finals.
Yep, Curry is the most valuable player in Golden State without any shred of doubt.
It'll be ironic if Durant wins a 3rd consecutive Finals MVP, although I guess it will support the notion that Finals MVPs aren't as important as regular season MVPs.
But it looked very hollow when Barkley and Malone won MVPs, because Jordan was so obviously better and proved it in the NBA Finals.
I guess each case is different, and Durant's Finals MVPs are losing value lately.....because its obvious Durant can't win a ring without Curry, whereas Curry can win a ring without Durant.
People say "Durant put them over the top", but they probably wouldn't be saying that if Green wasn't suspended in the 2016 NBA Finals....

Old 11-22-2018, 01:53 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Yep, Curry is the most valuable player in Golden State without any shred of doubt.
It'll be ironic if Durant wins a 3rd consecutive Finals MVP, although I guess it will support the notion that Finals MVPs aren't as important as regular season MVPs.
But it looked very hollow when Barkley and Malone won MVPs, because Jordan was so obviously better and proved it in the NBA Finals.
I guess each case is different, and Durant's Finals MVPs are losing value lately.....because its obvious Durant can't win a ring without Curry, whereas Curry can win a ring without Durant.
People say "Durant put them over the top", but they probably wouldn't be saying that if Green wasn't suspended in the 2016 NBA Finals....
Well, Durant neutralized Lebron...whereas James was able to block Curry, Iguodala etc in 2016, neither he nor anyone else could do anything about KD.

Old 11-22-2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Well, Durant neutralized Lebron...whereas James was able to block Curry, Iguodala etc in 2016, neither he nor anyone else could do anything about KD.
I agree, Durant deserved the last 2 Finals MVPs, no doubt about that.
But of course the Cavs probably wouldn't have won a ring if Green wasn't suspended in 2016, so neutralizing LeBron wasn't really necessary to win a ring.

Old 11-22-2018, 02:38 PM

I hope Durant stays with Golden State, because I'd like for Durant to win more rings than LeBron.
Obviously Durant won't be considered better than LeBron, but it'd make this era seem more competitive historically if say Durant finishes with 5 rings, and LeBron 3.
Of course, in that scenario Curry would finish with even more than Durant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Basketball