Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 02:57 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,448,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
^^ Exhibit A as to why California can't and won't be fixed any time soon.
EXACTLY!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 02:59 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Here is the problem, legislators don't create jobs, businesses create jobs. Legislators can create an environment that is conductive to business growth and considering California is the largest economy in the union they have been successful in this task. But no matter how conductive the state is to business, its still going to experience ups and downs.

Anyhow, the best thing legislators can do for job growth is get the states finances in order and stop bleeding key social services of resources.
You won't hear a rebuttal from me on that. That is consistent with my belief that the state legislature can always create a business environment that is favorable or not.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:20 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
How rude and superficial Californians were...LOL!!!!!!!

And I moved her from Cali...totally weirded me out at first that people were actually polite and friendly.
I've experienced some of that "texas friendly" only to see the backstabbing that happens afterward. People aren't nicer or meaner anyplace, they are all the same. It just depends on local customs..

For the record, I don't find people in CA less polite or friendly but not everyone gets the same treatment as me.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:25 PM

711 posts, read 1,856,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
California is not doing poorly right now because it doesn't have Texas like policies, its doing poorly because it was ground zero for the housing bubble.
It was ground zero for the housing bubble because it doesn't have Texas-like policies.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
legislators need to focus on creating jobs to increase economic activity to close down the budget deficits
It's not their job to "create jobs". That's the private sector's job. The legislature's job is to get the hell out of the way and not strangle the golden goose. Given the California legislature's penchant for overbearing regulation of just about everything, and its love of taxes as the solution to their profligate ways, I'd say the legislature isn't doing their job.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
And to be honest, I feel the state GOP along with many Republicans in California actually WANT the state to go down just so they can gloat.
To be fair, a total crash is probably the only thing that will get everybody in line (legislature, public employee unions). You cannot recover until you hit bottom. That's a core tenet of AA, by the way, and they should know something about the subject.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:37 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,698,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randian View Post
It was ground zero for the housing bubble because it doesn't have Texas-like policies.
I misstated when I wrote it at the time of my original post. What I meant to say was they need to help create a more favorable business environment.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
I misstated when I wrote it at the time of my original post. What I meant to say was they need to help create a more favorable business environment.
On that we're agreed.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:49 PM

136 posts, read 328,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Why do people in Texas think anyone cares. If they want to be in Texas that's fine FOR THEM. Every Day more Texans trying to compare it with California. It's just sad. I'll go out to I-10 and see if there is a mass migration from California
I ran across this and wanted to chime in. I'm a native Texan living in Austin, but I'm in the process of moving to Seattle. I'm tired of the heat, and it's positively not as "socially hospitable" and open-minded as it used to be... though I will admit, Austin is an interesting "pocket" in many respects - at least when it rains like normal.

Anyway, I recently returned from a long road trip out west, and there was a shockingly high number of cars and U-Hauls with California plates heading into Texas on I-40, and then on US 287 towards DFW. I have taken many, many of these trips in the past, and never recall seeing so many (if any) California plates obviously moving. Course, I don't know if their final stop was Texas, but in any event, it was noted.

Seeing this was a bit of an eye-opener - I'm cruising by on vacation, while others are literally packing up everything they own and placing their bets, and possibly their last savings on "greener pastures" - well, usually green... and a place that I'm leaving!

Living in the western side of Austin, I can say that there are many Californians moving specifically to Austin. Perhaps it's the scenery (forget for a moment that were in a horrible drought and everything is turning brown.) The couple who bought my home in August were also from California. And, it's not only the people - it's the companies as well. There are many companies headquartered in California which are investing in new offices in Texas, many of them in Austin. And I think we can guess why they're opening up offices with extra square footage.

Anyway, I won't get into the debate in the thread, and I can't compare the two, as I've only visited California three times (it's beautiful) - and obviously, I have no affinity for Texas, since I'm leaving!

Yes, there are plenty of jobs in Texas, but it's FAR from the Utopia some are acting like it is... which you'll hear a lot of if Mr. GoodHair (our governor) runs for President. Ugh...

Old 06-27-2011, 04:15 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Well I went out to I-10 and counted the cars, minus the trucks it seemed about even and very few had California tags so I assume I either missed the mass migration or it didn't happen. I'm less than 300 miles from Texas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California