Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 07:41 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,703,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Sun founder Scott McNealy shuns Silicon Valley for startup | Silicon Valley / San Jose Business Journal
Sun Microsystems co-founder Scott McNealy tweeted his Top 10 reasons for locating his new startup, WayIn, in Colorado rather than Silicon Valley.
10. Rocky Mountain powder beats Tahoe bunny slopes.

9. 11% income tax in CA vs. a 4.63% flat rate in CO

8. CO is a safer distance from Sacramento (but it is closer to DC...)

7. $1.5 million buys a dump in Silicon Valley, a ranch in CO.

6. In CO, the water is from CO. In CA, the water is from CO.

5. In CO, a traffic jam still moves, but the earth does not.

4. From CO, the redeye to New York is only half as bad.

3. In CO, I can hit my drives 300+ yards again

2. LoDo, CO has better views than Mountain View, CA

1. Wayin is HQ'd in CO, home of our CEO @TomJessiman and a great team.

hehe
Obviously filled with inaccuracies from someone who has never lived there. But it was tweeted and done tongue in cheek. So not much is to be expected.

After living in CO and with relatives still there I can tell you that a view of the mountains is the last thing on their minds right now. It's more like where do you go to escape the heat. Summers can be brutal in Denver. Also at a mile high the sun is more intense than most ppl realize or have experienced over the longer periods. The place to be is somewhere else in the mountains vs. LoDo. Or better yet take a vacation to CA and visit the coast where A/C isn't required.

Traffic gets very nasty right through LoDo. Traffic jams can stop with an endless sea of tail lights just like SJ.

Also smog from all the fires even from other states can make the air polluted at times.

He forgot to mention how long the drive or flight is to any coast = too long.

And then there is snow season (Sept - May) which is just tolerable if you like plenty of snow.

Derek

Old 06-29-2011, 07:45 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Obviously filled with inaccuracies from someone who has never lived there. But it was tweeted and done tongue in cheek. So not much is to be expected.

After living in CO and with relatives still there I can tell you that a view of the mountains is the last thing on their minds right now. It's more like where do you go to escape the heat. Summers can be brutal in Denver. Also at a mile high the sun is more intense than most ppl realize or have experienced over the longer periods. The place to be is somewhere else in the mountains vs. LoDo. Or better yet take a vacation to CA and visit the coast where A/C isn't required.

Traffic gets very nasty right through LoDo. Traffic jams can stop with an endless sea of tail lights just like SJ.

Also smog from all the fires even from other states can make the air polluted at times.

He forgot to mention how long the drive or flight is to any coast = too long.

And then there is snow season (Sept - May) which is just tolerable if you like plenty of snow.

Derek

Old 06-29-2011, 08:02 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay100 View Post
It's a secret.
Good for you, I was just trying to save you some disappointment.

Regarding this CA vs. CO stuff, if you like cheaper, snow, and no beach, you'll like CO. If not, you won't. Simple as that.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post

Regarding this CA vs. CO stuff, if you like cheaper, snow, and no beach, you'll like CO. If not, you won't. Simple as that.
Yep, some move there and really like it, so much in fact they don't plan on returning to CA. It just wasn't for our family for the long run - different strokes for different folks. My father-in-law felt like he was returning home since his father is from CO. He'll most likely never move again.

Derek

Old 06-29-2011, 09:38 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,983,491 times
Sept- may is not snow season in all of Colorado.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:50 PM

3,455 posts, read 8,344,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
10. Rocky Mountain powder beats Tahoe bunny slopes.

Unless you like the steeps, Colorado is ok. Good skiers like the steeps. Like at Alpine, The Nun's C***, nothing like it Colorado. and it is just one steep around Tahoe.

9. 11% income tax in CA vs. a 4.63% flat rate in CO

Somebody did not do their homework, the total tax burden is 2% different. Colorado 8.6, CA 10.6

8. CO is a safer distance from Sacramento (but it is closer to DC...)

Colorado is an easy commute for Texans

7. $1.5 million buys a dump in Silicon Valley, a ranch in CO.

Not really, it buys a ranchette, a hobby farm.

6. In CO, the water is from CO. In CA, the water is from CO.

Somebody did not do their homework, only a minor percentage of water in SoCA comes from the Colorado., The Front Range, the slobopolis that stretches from Colorado Springs to Forth Collins steals its water from the West Slope.

5. In CO, a traffic jam still moves, but the earth does not.

Apparently the poster has not commuted into or out of Denver. While CA is ranked #2 for quakes, Colorado is still a respectable #14, and in CA building codes may save your neck, in CO, good luck

4. From CO, the redeye to New York is only half as bad.

If you need New York, you won't like CO

3. In CO, I can hit my drives 300+ yards again

I am 60 and am still not old enough to denigrate myself to play golf.

2. LoDo, CO has better views than Mountain View, CA

No, Mountain View has fine views of mountains and the bay, Denver is out on the great plains, not in the mountains.

1. Wayin is HQ'd in CO, home of our CEO @TomJessiman and a great team.

A truly useless metric

You know what they say, "the nice thing about Denver is that it is close to Colorado." But be it for me to dissuade you, head on out, you have your choice of 62 paved roads that leave this state.
um, have you been to Denver? Yes, it is on the extreme edge of the Great Plains....which is exactly why it has such a stunning view of the mountains. You know, like an incredible backdrop, a wall of mountains in stark comparsion to the rolling prairie. When you are in the mountains, you can't really see that. Most beautiful views I have ever seen were driving in to Denver from the Great Plains.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:53 PM

3,393 posts, read 5,280,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post

Oh no, I would never just move somewhere without knowing anything. I have traveled all over the world and know what I want.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
Sept- may is not snow season in all of Colorado.
You have either never lived in CO or you are in denial (pretty common). The fact is its cold enough to snow in the Fall and can easily snow into May. This includes the largest cities along the Front Range (Denver, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, etc...). In fact the biggest storms/blizzards do not occur during the Winter months, but rather during the Fall and Spring.

Here is our front door one balmy blizzard day in October:

How about September:

Snow happens all the time in CO, more of the year than not. Of course there are days which warm up in between or there's no front moving through. But it can also be 5 degrees and sunny out in the Winter. And that's not warm.

Snow in May:

Then there is a brief reprieve known as thunderstorm season in the Summer months. Spring comes very late when everyone lives a mile high+. That's also why lawns are brown/dormant from Fall through Spring = cold, pipes freeze, etc...

The thunder is pretty spectacular and literally can shake your house. Of course those storms can produce snow in June in the Rockies. Once snow season ends and summer arrives most ppl come out of hibernation and go on vacation. The lakes are just thawing and hiking trails become free of snow. Work becomes a ghost town.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-29-2011 at 10:35 PM..

Old 06-29-2011, 10:25 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
You have either never lived in CO or you are in denial (pretty common). The fact is its cold enough to snow in the Fall and can easily snow into May. This includes the largest cities along the Front Range (Denver, Colorado Springs, Fort Collins, etc...). In fact the biggest storms/blizzards do not occur during the Winter months, but rather during the Fall and Spring.

Here is our front door one balmy blizzard day in October:

How about September:

Snow happens all the time in CO, more of the year than not. Of course there are days which warm up in between or there's no front moving through. But it can also be 5 degrees and sunny out in the Winter. And that's not warm.

Then there is a brief reprieve known as thunderstorm season in the Summer months. Spring comes very late when everyone lives a mile high+. That's also why lawns are brown/dormant from Fall through Spring.

The thunder is pretty spectacular and literally can shake your house. Of course those storms can produce snow in June in the Rockies. Once snow season ends and summer arrives most ppl come out of hibernation and go on vacation. Work becomes a ghost town.

Derek
Wow, those are beautiful pictures... Especially :

Old 06-29-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
Wow, those are beautiful pictures... Especially :

Thanks, yeah, CO is a beautiful state. I have to it full credit there. And since nature photography is my hobby I spent many days like this one freezing my tail off to get the shot.

However on this particular Fall day my family (wife, three kids and mother-in-law) weren't so thrilled to be out there taking in the beautiful view. This day was much colder than it looks. The snow was heavy and driving almost sideways.

Here's another similar day with heavy snow in October:

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-29-2011 at 10:57 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California