Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2011, 09:18 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,900,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
... It's only $41 million today.. $20 million tomorrow .. $100 million the day after .. $500 million a year from now.. $1 billion a year ago.. $2 billion last month and suddenly numbers add up .. Most often I find liberals to be ones who lack the capacity to do math, understand what a trend is, or assemble enough awareness to think about something more than one step deep. The country is filled with them currently and they see the world in a veiled false dilemma ...
Just caught this one ... got past me before, heh ... let's see:
$41 million today
$20 million tomorrow
$100 million the day after
$500 million a year from now
$1 billion a year ago
$2 billion last month
Now, I know these aren't real sequential numbers of real events ... but just for fun, your fiction adds up to: $3,661,000,000 ... Three billion six hundred sixty one million dollars of money pi**ed away, right?

So, now how about some non-fiction numbers from one year, 2008/2009 supporting the oligarchy bailout:
Bear Stearns $30 billion
Freddie/Fannie $400 billion
AIG $180 billion
Auto Industry $25 billion
TARP $700 billion
Citigroup $280 billion
BankAmerica $142.2 billion

$1,757,200,000,000 trillion, I believe it is. Really adds up don't it? Of course it's getting paid back, right? And it served the economy, right? Helped prevent collapse, right?

But a $14.5 million dollar investment in advancing undocumented kids out into productive position couldn't possibly also "pay back" to society?

Forget the bleeding heart crap you accuse me and liberals of. Also forget the false dilemma you suggest of sending ships around the world to pick up all the children and bring them to our shores for education at taxpayer expense. You want to talk about drops in the bucket adding up drip by drip? Drip together the top executive pay packages of the Standard and Poor's 500 :
"According to the Federal Reserve, U.S. corporations held a record $1.93 trillion in cash on their balance sheets in 2010. But they are not investing to expand their companies, grow the real economy or create good middle-class jobs. Corporate CEOs are literally hoarding their company’s cash—except when it comes to their own paychecks. In 2010, Standard & Poor's 500 Index company CEOs received, on average, $11.4 million in total compensation— a 23 percent increase in one year.[1] Based on 299 companies’ most recent pay data for 2010, their combined total CEO pay of $3.4 billion could support 102,325 median workers’ jobs.[2]"

Drip drip drip ... it's adding up ... who's running away with your money? The tiny percentage of undocumented youth who are talented and hard working enough to qualify for a California university education? Not even peanuts ... not even the shells.

And, if that money were with-held, do ya think it would end up back in your pockets?

Old 10-10-2011, 10:23 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,949,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Huh?

What exactly did you have to 'witness daily' in California that caused you elevated stress levels?
Perhaps, a red-faced tweaker tailgating you, honking and screaming profanities because you drive near the speed limit in the slow lane? Or, may be a realization that you, as a single working professional, can never pay off a housing unit in the area where the jobs are or within the commuting distance?? Or, may be the homeless harassing you on SF public transportation could cause one to feel stress? May be your application to rent a little dog pen to live for $1000/month was denied because you provided less than 8 references and 6 past employers? Go figure...

Old 10-10-2011, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
That was a different generation of people. Today's "Americans" (the younger ones) will tell you they didn't ask to be born. In their eyes, they are entitled to receive everything they want in life without making any sacrifice, no matter who pays for it (and as long as it isn't them).

The Americans who pulled themselves up by the bootstraps are either long gone or too elderly to make informed decisions about this country. The Dream Act is just a preview of what's to come for this state - and the country.
In a way, these young Americans are right... they had been brainwashed to get endless hours of worthless "education" (and get in debt for it) that teaches no real-live skills and has very little to do with the thing called "reality". Then, they're thrown into the world where they're simply non-competitive, and a part of no longer competitive economy as well. They're taught since childhood, via television and magazine junk, that the only worthy thing in life is "fun" and "pleasure" (of drugs, sex, eating restaurant food that's bad for you, etc). Who created this situation? Older Americans, of course. Yes, they didn't ask to be born.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Nonsense, I have no idea where you guys get this idea that these people are leaches, they come here, they work, they pay the same taxes you do.
Plus, just think, with a college degree they will make even more money and probably pay more taxes than you do.

I trust that those who accuse them of "breaking our laws" have never driven 70 mph in a 65, have never had a blood alcohol level above the legal while driving, have never owned an un registered pistolo and have never cut corners on their taxes, have never crossed the white or yellow line will making a turn.
Yeah, I've seen these "college degrees"... from *certain* institutions of CA (certain campuses of Cal State?) B.S. in Worthless Pencil Pushing, or B.A. in the Art of Selling Air come to mind. B.S in B.S

Old 10-10-2011, 11:54 PM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Just caught this one ... got past me before, heh ... let's see:
$41 million today
$20 million tomorrow
$100 million the day after
$500 million a year from now
$1 billion a year ago
$2 billion last month
Now, I know these aren't real sequential numbers of real events ... but just for fun, your fiction adds up to: $3,661,000,000 ... Three billion six hundred sixty one million dollars of money pi**ed away, right?

So, now how about some non-fiction numbers from one year, 2008/2009 supporting the oligarchy bailout:
Bear Stearns $30 billion
Freddie/Fannie $400 billion
AIG $180 billion
Auto Industry $25 billion
TARP $700 billion
Citigroup $280 billion
BankAmerica $142.2 billion

$1,757,200,000,000 trillion, I believe it is. Really adds up don't it? Of course it's getting paid back, right? And it served the economy, right? Helped prevent collapse, right?

But a $14.5 million dollar investment in advancing undocumented kids out into productive position couldn't possibly also "pay back" to society?

Forget the bleeding heart crap you accuse me and liberals of. Also forget the false dilemma you suggest of sending ships around the world to pick up all the children and bring them to our shores for education at taxpayer expense. You want to talk about drops in the bucket adding up drip by drip? Drip together the top executive pay packages of the Standard and Poor's 500 :
"According to the Federal Reserve, U.S. corporations held a record $1.93 trillion in cash on their balance sheets in 2010. But they are not investing to expand their companies, grow the real economy or create good middle-class jobs. Corporate CEOs are literally hoarding their company’s cash—except when it comes to their own paychecks. In 2010, Standard & Poor's 500 Index company CEOs received, on average, $11.4 million in total compensation— a 23 percent increase in one year.[1] Based on 299 companies’ most recent pay data for 2010, their combined total CEO pay of $3.4 billion could support 102,325 median workers’ jobs.[2]"

Drip drip drip ... it's adding up ... who's running away with your money? The tiny percentage of undocumented youth who are talented and hard working enough to qualify for a California university education? Not even peanuts ... not even the shells.

And, if that money were with-held, do ya think it would end up back in your pockets?
Instead of going out and pissing away money to make the corporations rich.. Go buy their stock instead.. what a novel concept.. As for me, I judge and make decisions based on absolution .. not relative comparisons and certainly not on the logic that two wrongs make a right...

Go after the banks and the con men and go after illegals too .. both are problems ... thanks for highlighting another. no reason why you can't resolve both.

You and every consumer around the world makes a corporation rich every time they go and spend their money on sh*t they don't need ... Yet you keep doing it.. you and other Americans have the ability to take the risk and invest in the very corporations you cry are doing you oh so wrong and off-set profit ... why don't you? No evil man prevents you.. it's a public/open market...

For instance, I felt AT&T was screwing me over on my phone bill.. simple.. i bought their stock..
AT&T INC DIVIDEND ON 500 SHARES OF T @ .42000 $0.00 $0.00 $210.00 (every 3 months) .. bam, my cell phone bill is paid for

You have a problem w/ bailouts, go talk to the bobble heads in Washington .. It's obvious they only pander to corporate interest/the interest of the wealthy .. which is they are such fans of illegal immigration and turn a blind eye.. because a lot of rich farm owners who are probably used to the history of slave labor don't want the gravy train of exploitable illegal immigrant labor to stop...

The irony is that they both are of the same slice, you just seem to ignore the blaring exploitation that is occurring of the illegal immigrants and the high cost that is again shouldered by the middle/lower class as a result.. The rich are dancing in their pile of money laughing at the fools people are for defending this practice which largely benefits the rich...

Last edited by yeahthatguy; 10-11-2011 at 12:02 AM..

Old 10-11-2011, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Instead of going out and pissing away money to make the corporations rich.. Go buy their stock instead.. what a novel concept.. As for me, I judge and make decisions based on absolution .. not relative comparisons and certainly not on the logic that two wrongs make a right...

Go after the banks and the con men and go after illegals too .. both are problems ... thanks for highlighting another. no reason why you can't resolve both.

You and every consumer around the world makes a corporation rich every time they go and spend their money on sh*t they don't need ... Yet you keep doing it.. you and other Americans have the ability to take the risk and invest in the very corporations you cry are doing you oh so wrong and off-set profit ... why don't you? No evil man prevents you.. it's a public/open market...

For instance, I felt AT&T was screwing me over on my phone bill.. simple.. i bought their stock..
AT&T INC DIVIDEND ON 500 SHARES OF T @ .42000 $0.00 $0.00 $210.00 (every 3 months) .. bam, my cell phone bill is paid for

You have a problem w/ bailouts, go talk to the bobble heads in Washington .. It's obvious they only pander to corporate interest/the interest of the wealthy .. which is they are such fans of illegal immigration and turn a blind eye.. because a lot of rich farm owners who are probably used to the history of slave labor don't want the gravy train of exploitable illegal immigrant labor to stop...

The irony is that they both are of the same slice, you just seem to ignore the blaring exploitation that is occurring of the illegal immigrants and the high cost that is again shouldered by the middle/lower class as a result.. The rich are dancing in their pile of money laughing at the fools people are for defending this practice which largely benefits the rich...
Come on why invest in corporations? Stop consumption, destroy them. Stop buying pesticide-laden toxic produce, buy local, seasonal and organic, from farmers who employ Americans and pay fair. Tighten your belt. Each time you buy that GMO or simply non-organic cheap produce, you support illegal labor in the US (even if that produce was imported--because it creates unfair competition for US farmers). You poison yourself, you make corporations rich and you bring in illegal labor.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:35 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,506,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexxiz View Post
Come on why invest in corporations?
Because there is this thing called capitalism that runs the world and has been and will for some time... I use it to offset and take back the profits corporations make off me for things that I consume to enhance my quality of life..

Quote:
Stop consumption, destroy them.
I don't consume much .. rent(includes water) + electric/gas PGE + cellphone bill + internet bill .. those are my bills on a monthly basis .. i have no cable.. npr and basic OTA HD free TV is just great w/o the mindless consumerist nonsense ..

My paycheck goes into my investment account and i .. well invest ..

Quote:
Stop buying pesticide-laden toxic produce, buy local, seasonal and organic, from farmers who employ Americans and pay fair. Tighten your belt. Each time you buy that GMO or simply non-organic cheap produce, you support illegal labor in the US (even if that produce was imported--because it creates unfair competition for US farmers). You poison yourself, you make corporations rich and you bring in illegal labor.
I don't support illegal labor .. It is in support of illegal law breakers .. It is in support of rich/wealthy farm owners who support them and is against humanitarian practices .. It hurts innovation in the farm industry and serves to undermine the true value of the work and product that is yielded ..

I am getting in the habit of more conscious and informed shopping for produce/etc.

Old 10-11-2011, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Because there is this thing called capitalism that runs the world and has been and will for some time...
We'll see about this

Old 10-11-2011, 07:25 AM

Quote:

Now, much of what you address here I at least partially agree with ... but if you were to read my posts carefully, without jumping to the "bleeding heart" "liberal" accusations, you'd note that I have never ever once supported illegal entry/immigration ... I simply note it as a reality ... and until we come up with a better reality, we should deal responsibly and equitably with the reality we find ourselves collectively participating in ... including mentoring those who have been thrust into the dynamic without a choice (the children) ... to do otherwise is both inhumane and highly counterproductive. Consider why you support Affirmative Action.

Old 10-11-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Come on why invest in corporations? Stop consumption, destroy them. Stop buying pesticide-laden toxic produce, buy local, seasonal and organic, from farmers who employ Americans and pay fair. Tighten your belt. Each time you buy that GMO or simply non-organic cheap produce, you support illegal labor in the US (even if that produce was imported--because it creates unfair competition for US farmers). You poison yourself, you make corporations rich and you bring in illegal labor.
I agree, in principle ... wish it was so simple, but it ain't ... but you have my sympathies

Quote:
Because there is this thing called capitalism that runs the world and has been and will for some time... I use it to offset and take back the profits corporations make off me for things that I consume to enhance my quality of life.. .
You can do this ... it's an understandable strategy ... but it also helps perpetuate the model of consumer economics ... which, ultimately, is destructively unsustainable ...
Quote:
I don't support illegal labor .. It is in support of illegal law breakers .. It is in support of rich/wealthy farm owners who support them and is against humanitarian practices .. It hurts innovation in the farm industry and serves to undermine the true value of the work and product that is yielded ...
Good for you but not so simple. For example: it is not particularly humanitarian to mechanize everything that can be done by hand ... profits then go largely to a small population of industrialists and financiers -- leaving an awful lot of poor folks with nothing to do ... no way to labor for a living ... there's nothing wrong with a life of hard labor, within limits ... it's the history of man until only very recently ... and, realize that the option of a life of low wages, struggle, and exhaustion still offers dignity and love within families ... whereas a life of starvation or gov't. dependency due to no work breeds humiliation and contempt and unresolvable illness.

Besides which, a lot of the farm labor truly cannot be effectively mechanized ... it is what it is. You can, for another example, kill weeds with selective chemical applications since they can't be pulled from around produce roots mechanically ... uh, does it make any sense to use toxic chemicals in produce rows? Rhetorical question, obviously.

Quote:
We'll see about this
(best wishes -- even though success seems unlikely)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California