U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-12-2011, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,476 posts, read 17,446,881 times
Reputation: 4321

Advertisements

Awww...okay....forgot about that day, don't exactly pay attention to it. I thought you were talking about thanksgiving...but that didn't make much sense...

 
Old 10-12-2011, 12:21 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
Reputation: 29071
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Awww...okay....forgot about that day, don't exactly pay attention to it. I thought you were talking about thanksgiving...but that didn't make much sense...
Why am I not surprised? But not to worry, you're in the bad company of millions who don't either.
 
Old 10-12-2011, 12:30 PM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,476 posts, read 17,446,881 times
Reputation: 4321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Why am I not surprised?
You shouldn't be, I'm not fond of war.... No particular disrespect for those that died though, unfortunate victims of a sick culture...
 
Old 10-12-2011, 12:35 PM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 7,658,919 times
Reputation: 2622
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
True. The overall standard of living of the USA can be ahead, equal to, or behind other nations.

Which do you want for the USA?
So, consider this, The US has 5% of the world's people and consumes 40% of the worlds resources.

How long do you think that can continue?

Don't you think some other countries might want to level this particular playing field?

Standard of Living is way over rated, Quality of Living is far more important.
 
Old 10-12-2011, 12:46 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,482,868 times
Reputation: 29071
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
You shouldn't be, I'm not fond of war.... No particular disrespect for those that died though, unfortunate victims of a sick culture...
"I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity."
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Being young, you might not know that he was a five star general, the Supreme Commander of Allied Forces, Europe during WW II and a president.
 
Old 10-12-2011, 12:57 PM
 
Location: San Luis Obispo and Santa Barbara Counties
6,390 posts, read 7,658,919 times
Reputation: 2622
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
"I hate war as only a soldier who has lived it can, only as one who has seen its brutality, its futility, its stupidity."
Dwight D. Eisenhower

Being young, you might not know that he was a five star general, the Supreme Commander of Allied Forces, Europe during WW II and a president.
Who made his headquarters, the Supreme Headquarters Allied Foreces Europe, at a golf country club in France, so that while the boys were fighting, he could keep up on his golf game.

"War is Hell" Old Bill Sherman said.
 
Old 10-12-2011, 01:48 PM
 
298 posts, read 530,390 times
Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
The problem w/ the sad state of the avg. human is that w/ all the free time they've been given to pursue higher level things, they use it to engage in mindless idiocy.
BRILLIANT.
 
Old 10-12-2011, 02:34 PM
 
298 posts, read 530,390 times
Reputation: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Technology is and will replace the need for skilled labor. As it does, you will have more skills/intelligence to be a productive member of society......oh wait....

Hate to break it to you, while the engineering nerds are figuring out how to duplicate basic mechanical tasks there is another group of nerds figuring out how to duplicate the basic intellectual tasks of the engineering nerds... Why you sorts think that it is only what you perceive as "unskilled" can be duplicated by technology.....is beyond me...

No human will, in short order, have the ability (under your notion) of being a productive member of society. You will be a rat in the eyes of those far greater than you.....
The whole point of working in tech - or more generally of working at all, for tech is shaving yaks unless it's applied to effective work - is to make 'oneself' meaning the 'work' one must do to achieve a task, obsolete, and then pushing oneself up to a higher level, a level that is more interesting, more technical, and/or more specialized in a direction that optimizes an individuals' predisposition and talents. And, in all likelihood, a productive member of society...

As for illegals, why doesn't Mexico build their own colleges and robot factories, and educate their own citizenry? Mexico can't even produce a drinkable beer!
 
Old 10-12-2011, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,476 posts, read 17,446,881 times
Reputation: 4321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Being young, you might not know that he was a five star general, the Supreme Commander of Allied Forces, Europe during WW II and a president.
Umm...yeah, I'm aware of Eisenhower's history. Funny thing about history books, they don't have age requirements.

Not sure how this relates to my comments, but okay.
 
Old 10-12-2011, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
12,476 posts, read 17,446,881 times
Reputation: 4321
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreez View Post
The whole point of working in tech - or more generally of working at all, for tech is shaving yaks unless it's applied to effective work - is to make 'oneself' meaning the 'work' one must do to achieve a task, obsolete, and then pushing oneself up to a higher level, a level that is more interesting, more technical, and/or more specialized in a direction that optimizes an individuals' predisposition and talents. And, in all likelihood, a productive member of society...
Yes and as noted by someone else in this thread, everyone can't be at a "higher level".

Also, it should go without say, but not everyone is good at math-based subjects and that leaves a lot of folks, in today's world, at a huge disadvantage. Increasingly, we have an economy based on a genetic lottery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreez View Post
As for illegals, why doesn't Mexico build their own colleges and robot factories, and educate their own citizenry?
Umm...Mexico has colleges, it has automated factories, etc. Mexico has a political problem, one that isn't easily solved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottfreez View Post
Mexico can't even produce a drinkable beer!
Negra Modelo is rather drinkable....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top