Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 02:25 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,700,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
When I observed that video yesterday it reminded me of getting the silent treatment from my kids as toddlers when they were mad for not getting something they wanted.

Yes. I'm sure when I have kids of my own, I am going to pepper spray them for not conforming to my authority, even if they grow up to be adults and having opinions that differs from mine.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:31 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,447,473 times
Terms like "fascist" are overused these days, but I think it clearly applies to Bulldogdad. I hope people like him realize they're on the wrong side before the people start exercising their right to bear arms in self defense. "Don't tread on me" isn't about taxes, it's about oppression. Tread on us and "suffer the consequences" to use the fascist's own words.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:36 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,095,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
What "they are doing" has already, in only 2 months, had quite a powerful effect across the country, as evidenced by bank policy changes, political positionings, the GOP's recent hiring of a major lobbying firm -- for a very substantial fee -- to develop a P.R. campaign to counter the issues awareness and growing public opinion negative to Republican interests, and the growing voice of consultants to the financial industries and major corporations warning their clients that this movement is gaining momentum and effects will follow of great consequence.
What in the world are you taking about? Do these protestors have a time machine I'm not aware of? How did protests that just occurred have an effect on the past? Or, are you just considering any protest that isn't of tea-bagger origin part of the "Occupy wall-street" nonsense? These students were protesting tuition hikes....not wall-street. Students have protested tuition hikes each time they have occurred over the last few years... and what has come of it? Nothing.

Political groups spend large sums every year on propaganda, I'm not sure why you consider Republicans spending money to counter propaganda from the other side a novel development.... "Occupy wall-street", like the tea party movement, has already been hijacked by interest groups and is already been used for propaganda...

Yeah so awesome, public unions, boomers etc will enrich themselves off the backs of the American worker instead of the top 1%. Same theft, just different pockets.

Anyhow, these protests are a waste of time and just fuel a tiresome dichotomy. Wake me up when they burn down the university....

Old 11-20-2011, 02:50 PM

2,093 posts, read 4,700,262 times
Open Letter to Chancellor Linda P.B. Katehi | UCDavis Bicycle Barricade

Old 11-20-2011, 02:52 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
What in the world are you taking about? Do these protestors have a time machine I'm not aware of? How did protests that just occurred have an effect on the past? Or, are you just considering any protest that isn't of tea-bagger origin part of the "Occupy wall-street" nonsense? These students were protesting tuition hikes....not wall-street. Students have protested tuition hikes each time they have occurred over the last few years... and what has come of it? Nothing.

Political groups spend large sums every year on propaganda, I'm not sure why you consider Republicans spending money to counter propaganda from the other side a novel development.... "Occupy wall-street", like the tea party movement, has already been hijacked by interest groups and is already been used for propaganda...

Yeah so awesome, public unions, boomers etc will enrich themselves off the backs of the American worker instead of the top 1%. Same theft, just different pockets.

Anyhow, these protests are a waste of time and just fuel a tiresome dichotomy.
Oh, I see ... you haven't been reading the news of these student protests carefully -- if at all beyond the headlines, I guess ... the students were / are sitting in solidarity support with OWS ... that is stated repeatedly in news accounts ... these current tuition protests are overtly tied to the OWS and the OWS protestors have expressed reciprocity and shown up on campus. The students are, in fact, protesting Wall Street.

And yes, political groups do spend large sums of money continuously on propaganda ... there is nothing new about that ... and i am not surprised nor claiming that it is unique ... I am pointing out that the OWS has become serious enough to be included in the agenda of that attack culture.

As for changing the pockets the theft goes into, that is partially correct ... but the situation is a big deal as now the theft is concentrated in a subculture that threatens to entirely overwhelm society ... whereas diverting the theft, at least in the short term, to a variety of other pockets is likely to disrupt the present worst subculture of wealth, repair the pockets of the "small people" in some modest amount, and spread the rest of the theft over other, at least less threatening, pockets for a while. Eventually, when the new thieves become dangerously complacent and injurious to the populace, it will be time to set them on fire, as well, and begin diverting the endless theft to yet newer emerging pockets.

Endless cyclic revolutions ... like changing tides ... keeps the estuary fresh and healthy.

Old 11-20-2011, 02:55 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,495,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
My view has not changed. I have been maced, pepper sprayed and tazed.
Now that I can believe, and for good cause, no doubt.

Then that just leaves baton therapy and shotgun therapy for you. There's hope!

Guess you don't believe in the consdtitutional right to peacefully assemble. Pity!

Old 11-20-2011, 03:04 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
Well, after looking at multiple tapes of what occurred I'm pretty convinced the police officer was out of line there.

Seems like a very bad overreaction to what was taking place.

In addition, I went and took a look at the Cal Davis staffing levels, trying to understand why the cost of college continues to significantly outpace inflation. I know some of it is the result of lower funding from government(s), but I wanted to see if some cost cutting was taking place to at least try and minimize the need to increase student costs.

Looking at the staffing levels (full time equivalents) for the past decade or so at Cal Davis:

2010 - Academic Staff was 6,233.9 (including 2,168.9 student assistants), Support Staff was 14,207.9

2008 - Academic Staff was 5,950.0 (including 2,145.9 student assistants), Support Staff was 14,210.2

2006 - Academic Staff was 5,775.7 (including 2,049.4 student assistants), Support Staff was 13,691.3

2004 - Academic Staff was 5,793.5 (including 2,053.5 student assistants), Support Staff was 12,965.5

2002 - Academic Staff was 5,507.8 (including 1,943.6 student assistants), Support Staff was 12,330.9

2000 - Academic Staff was 4,910.8 (including 1,733.9 student assistants), Support Staff was 11,546.8

http://www.ucop.edu/ucophome/uwnews/...010/er1dvf.pdf

http://www.ucop.edu/ucophome/uwnews/...008/er1dvf.pdf

http://www.ucop.edu/ucophome/uwnews/...006/er1dav.pdf

Statistical Summary: Personnel Tables - October 2004

Statistical Summary: Personnel Tables - October 2002

Statistical Summary: Personnel Tables - October 2000

So, what is obvious to me is that support personnel have grown rather significantly during the past decade, an increase of over 2,600 folks.

Has Cal Davis really done a very good job of analyzing their support cost, and identifying where critical reductions could be made?

Last edited by NewToCA; 11-20-2011 at 03:33 PM..

Old 11-20-2011, 03:26 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Terms like "fascist" are overused these days, but I think it clearly applies to Bulldogdad. I hope people like him realize they're on the wrong side before the people start exercising their right to bear arms in self defense. "Don't tread on me" isn't about taxes, it's about oppression. Tread on us and "suffer the consequences" to use the fascist's own words.
Muah, I love you too.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:35 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,229,470 times
Looks like the police officer(s) involved are on (paid) suspension:

UC Davis spokeswoman Claudia Morain said the two officers placed on leave were the only two officers they were able to identify as having deployed pepper spray after reviewing multiple videos of the events.

The officers, whose names were not released, will remain on paid leave indefinitely.

UC Davis officers placed on leave after pepper spray incident - latimes.com

Old 11-20-2011, 03:38 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,984,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Our Constitution guarantees the citizens the right to peaceably assemble and petition the government for redress of grievances. I find it curious that those who claim to hold the constitution dear, deny whatever part of it they, at a particular moment disagree with.

The UC Davis Police Department used Pepper Spray on seated nonviolent students. These are not anarchists, commies, "hippie's. These are our children. Just to be admitted to UC Davis means they are among our brightest children. Now, I don't care about your politics, and I don't care about the occupy movement. But, our police should never ever use pepper spray on our children.
Shame on them.

Watching the whole video, you see students, by the force of moral authority, peacefully and nonviolently forced the police off the quad. Folks, peaceful protest, and peaceful dissent is what marks our country as the shining light for the rest of the world to emulate. The right to peacefully petition the government for redress of grievances is enshrined in our Constitution. The police were in the wrong, and they finally realized it.

Here they were referred to as spoiled brats, yet, these "brats" held their formation of peaceful sitting with locked arms in spite of a violent assault. That is not typical of "spoiled brats" but something any trained military formation would be expected to do. The bystanders had the ability to be violent as they far out numbered the police, they didn't. Any student who shouted out a derogatory phrase to the police was shut down by the nonviolent students. The students upheld the finest traditions of American peaceful protest. We should all be proud that we have raised citizens like them.

Bulldog, my son is a senior at Davis, he is not a radical, he is a mountain climber, now, this day at this time he did not get pepper sprayed, but what about tomorrow? What about Fresno State, and someone you know?

You don't pepper spray our children, period.
You illustrate EXACTLY why these protesters are being seen for the brats that they are. You don't spray our children? How old are they? Old enough to go to college - so the are hardly children. Nonviolent? Locking arms and blocking the right of way is still breaking the law. And you say "period"? So if they throw rocks, defecate on public property, block the right of way of other people, nothing should happen to these poor defenseless babies?

You've raised these brats to think they're "special". They've run your households, gotten everything their heart's desire, and had mommy and daddy interfere whenever anyone tried to discipline them. I'm starting to see the mess you've created. Heaven help me, that these are my future.....

I have a family member who is truly a productive member of society - he's a cop. You know, the folks you hate. The folks you think are abusing poor sonny boy, but who are just trying to protect the citizens. But if he tells you to move, you darned well better move. And if you don't, you face the consequences. Unless of course you've been raised to think mommy and daddy will fight your battles for you, and that nothing you do is ever wrong.

I wish the cops would just walk away. Let these scumbag anarchists take over the campus. Let the folks of Davis see what they've created. When they can't drive on their streets, walk on their sidewalks, or go to their classes. When they're left with filth and feces, and nobody cleans it up. I'd enjoy watching their liberal heads explode.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California