Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2012, 01:00 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times

Advertisements

Anybody have even the slightest question about whether user_id has joined this thread conversation to contribute anything of social value, fun, or humor -- as was the thread's intended purpose? Couldn't be possible that he actually enjoys being nasty and disruptive -- perhaps to the point of getting the thread closed down? Nah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 01:04 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,095,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
Do you think that all scent is worn as a "social marker"?
Obviously all perfume on some level is social, but in the sense I was speaking about it earlier (i.e., as marking membership in some social group) no, not all scents operate that way.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:07 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,853,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
Obviously all perfume on some level is social, but in the sense I was speaking about it earlier (i.e., as marking membership in some social group) no, not all scents operate that way.
how about chanel #5?

Old 03-04-2012, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Anybody have even the slightest question about whether user_id has joined this thread conversation to contribute anything of social value...
Hey, I find the topics rather interesting and......I reckon there wouldn't be much of a discussion if I was the only one typing. I don't know Mr Null, doesn't seem too smart to create something and then complain about it. But hey, if it makes you feel better....why don't ya fling some more insults my way?

Old 03-04-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaijai View Post
how about chanel #5?
I don't know much about it, but it would seem that it was once a signal for wealth (due to its cost) that is today being mimicked by lower social classes due to its lower relative costs. But its still a bit pricey, so it probably still operates as a signal for "I'm not totally poor". That is to say, its a socioeconomic marker not a marker of subculture membership. There could be something evolutionary as well, perhaps the scent is attractive to men in some biological fashion...but I'm not sure. That's my guess....and my comments about the hippie smell were just a guess too. I find it interesting though that it was once used to cover up mj smell, so it could have started as a purely functional matter but later developed as a marker since it was widely employed in the social group.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Hey, I find the topics rather interesting and......I reckon there wouldn't be much of a discussion if I was the only one typing. I don't know Mr Null, doesn't seem too smart to create something and then complain about it. But hey, if it makes you feel better....why don't ya fling some more insults my way?
You're very cynical.
There would be a very different discussion happening if people (myself included) were not using their energy engaging with you.
Why we do is, to me, the crux.
It is possible for people to exchange energy and ideas without fighting / debating.
That kind of discussion / exchange was happening before you came onto the thread and s*** on it.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I don't know much about it, but it would seem that it was once a signal for wealth (due to its cost) that is today being mimicked by lower social classes due to its lower relative costs. But its still a bit pricey, so it probably still operates as a signal for "I'm not totally poor". That is to say, its a socioeconomic marker not a marker of subculture membership. There could be something evolutionary as well, perhaps the scent is attractive to men in some biological fashion...but I'm not sure. That's my guess....and my comments about the hippie smell were just a guess too. I find it interesting though that it was once used to cover up mj smell, so it could have started as a purely functional matter but later developed as a marker since it was widely employed in the social group.
Incense (patchouli and other scents) was commonly used to mask the smell of marijuana.
Patchouli incense is actually not that strong however.
Patchouli essential oil (though quite strong and intense) on the body in a room full of smoke wouldn't do much masking.
And yes, scents are often used to attract.
Patchouli is a very pungent and i could say sexual odor but that doesn't mean that all men find it alluring, ie; are turned on by it.
I know to avoid the ones that aren't ... or they avoid me.
Smell is very primal.
I find the smell of chemical cologne and perfume to be incredibly offensive.
And patchouli dates back 1000's of years ya know.
Essential oils have long been used for a variety of purposes including medicinal ones for a very, very long time.

I posted this over on the health and wellness forum awhile back.
Different oils have different properties.
For example, lavender oil is very calming while a citrus oil like lemon or orange tends to stimulate and uplift.

"Aromatherapy works through topical absorption but the other and equally valid "channel" is the olfactory system.
Nerve cells in the navel cavities carry the scent directly to the back of the nose (olfactory bulb) and nerve endings there carry messages directly to the brain.
Inhalation has a direct effect on the central nervous system."

Old 03-04-2012, 01:50 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times
Quote:
No. You don't find the topic interesting. You view it, as you do all threads you participate in, as an opportunity to -- in your perception -- humiliate others. There is never any other tone to your posts, anywhere, anytime. You enjoy being reviled -- as long as you perceive yourself as reigning superior in exchanges. Often, you are delusional about that, but nevermind. Occasionally you are handed your platter of sh*t back with irrefutable analysis of its putrid contents -- at which point you begin deflecting topics, definitions, and so forth in a frantic attempt to cover your arse's exposure.

I am not complaining about what I created -- in the slightest. I am shoveling your crap back on your side of the garden fence as it is not healthy fertilizer. Whatever you have been eating all your life is producing a remarkably foul dialogue. This is what you get off on. So, you're welcome.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
No. You don't find the topic interesting.
Mcfly, I said "topics", implying that I find the things I've brought up interesting. The hippie camp linked to in the OP isn't interesting at all, but since you just posted a link in the OP there wasn't "a topic" to begin with....the thread was open ended. Hence, if you really want to talk about particular things then you should perhaps state that in the OP....instead of just posting a link.

Quote:
Occasionally you are handed your platter of sh*t back with irrefutable analysis of its putrid contents...
I love when someone can refute one of my arguments....that means I've learned something. Though, I don't recall learning anything from your meandering.

Anyhow, Mr Null, I know you think you understand how I operate, but as with most things you're totally off the mark. But hey, you can repeat the same things ad nauseam all you wish.

Quote:
Whatever you have been eating all your life is producing a remarkably foul dialogue.
It is? Wow.....

Old 03-04-2012, 02:23 PM

Labeling Esalen Institute as a "hippie camp" is one of many comments you've made on this thread (and others) that reveal your ignorance.
You speak as though you know when you don't.
It's ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California