Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2012, 01:45 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
People make fun of things, that's just what they do. But the hippie subculture is largely dead and has been replaced, in the sense that many ex-hippies have switched, into a vague religion defined around western spiritual notions. Sure they pay lip service to the east, but its just that, the notions are twisted into a western framework and that should be apparent by the fact that its mostly middle-class white folks that are into this stuff.... Its entirely bourgeois.

May have better luck if you detach your politics from your religious beliefs...Effective political movements are, almost always, secular in
nature.

But ignoring the religious gobbledygook there is a simple answer here, propaganda has become increasingly effective with more advanced communication technology. Today people are exposed to propaganda, whether state or corporate, on an almost hourly basis. And nobody can escape unless they entirely remove themselves from society....
Semi-nice post, user ()
I will agree with your observation on propaganda's contemporary omnipresence ... and opine that there is no need to remove one's self entirely from society to escape its vampiric, succubuscience (cool new word there!). Anyone who recognizes it for what it is can proceed through its phantom venues as confidently as if armed with tightly gripped crosses, silver bullets, wooden stakes, and necklaces of garlic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2012, 01:52 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,689,600 times
Quote:
No I didn't....I said you're overweight and the comment was in relation to the topic. But, I'm not beyond making personal commentary, its just something I try to avoid on.
I see, overweight and fat are not synonyms and redneck is not a personal attack, if it is relation to the topic.

Thanks for clearing that up, particularly since you have no idea what in the heck I look like... fat or overweight or lean. I can tell you I work hard outside every day, you don't. My guess is that if anyone is carrying extra pounds it is not the guy that works outside doing manual labor every day. That has worked outside doing manual labor every day since he was a small child. You haven't. Who would shoot himself before he worked at a desk. You won't.

Keeps me from having a nature deficit disorder.

Old 03-05-2012, 01:56 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,095,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullgeo View Post
Our species likely will not survive our own apparently boundless appetite for material growth and consumptions.
Our species will not survive, instead we'll evolve or simply go extinct. But there is going to be, relatively soon, a new boy on the block....and he will be king. Today...he is just an infant though.

Nao - Thriller - YouTube

Old 03-05-2012, 02:10 PM

7,150 posts, read 10,903,890 times
Quote:
Our species will not survive, instead we'll evolve or simply go extinct. But there is going to be, relatively soon, a new boy on the block....and he will be king. Today...he is just an infant though.

[youtube]ZHJf365p_zw
Ah. The 'Convergence'. Personally, I doubt it will turn out as the obsessed true-believers think it will go. In any case, I find it meaningless -- because it is spiritless beyond the imaginative distractions of the human mind.

I am entirely unimpressed by human tricks: from 'New and Improved!' dishwashing soaps, to robotics, to nano-ladders reaching the moon.

Show me a sentient being who has learned self-control over his/her desires, and the ability to focus the mind --and I will stare in wonder and awe.

The complex is nothing. Simple is everything.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Thanks for clearing that up, particularly since you have no idea what in the heck I look like... fat or overweight or lean.
No problem, and you've posted pictures of yourself (from behind)....or were those just fakes?

Quote:
I can tell you I work hard outside every day, you don't. My guess is that if anyone is carrying extra pounds it is not the guy that works outside doing manual labor every day.
Firstly, as far as physical excursion goes "hard" is entirely relative to your overall fitness. A man that is carrying an extra 100+ pounds is going to find walking for a couple hours "hard", do we continue that he is in good shape because of his "hard" work? Of course not. Same goes for a man carrying an extra 30 pounds, just not as extreme. Secondly, whether one develops "extra pounds" depends entirely on excess caloric intake and one can control that by eating right rather than consuming a bunch of dead animals, sugar, etc and then trying burn it off with physical activity.

With that said, I'm rather active to begin with.... Anyhow, extra weight does terrible things to your body.....

Old 03-05-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Show me a sentient being who has learned self-control over his/her desires, and the ability to focus the mind --and I will stare in wonder and awe.
Not there yet, but you may get to see if it you life long enough. That amount of progress that has been achieved over the last couple of decades is amazing though and most of the theoretical issues are, I believe, decently understood at this point.

Anyhow, the nerds will supply the brains and the military will supply the $$. Its just a matter of time.

After thought: New age thought actually provides a good cover for work in robotics/AI since the work as seen as entirely mechanistic, the nerds will never be able to "create a soul", etc. I always say, if the masses knew what the nerds were up to here they'd lock up the labs the next day. So the liberals are busy with this stuff (i.e., things like your OP) and the right-wing is busy worrying about birth-control, evolution in classrooms, etc....all good cover.

Last edited by user_id; 03-05-2012 at 03:04 PM..

Old 03-05-2012, 02:29 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,689,600 times
Quote:
No problem, and you've posted pictures of yourself (from behind)....or were those just fakes?

Firstly, as far as physical excursion goes "hard" is entirely relative to your overall fitness. A man that is carrying an extra 100+ pounds is going to find walking for a couple hours "hard", do we continue that he is in good shape because of his "hard" work? Of course not. Same goes for a man carrying an extra 30 pounds, just not as extreme. Secondly, whether one develops "extra pounds" depends entirely on excess caloric intake and one can control that by eating right rather than consuming a bunch of dead animals, sugar, etc and then trying burn it off with physical activity.

With that said, I'm rather active to begin with.... Anyhow, extra weight does terrible things to your body.....
You have never seen a photo of me, from in front or behind, which makes the rest of your post baloney. Grow up. Here, mix this in your imaginative posts. I am 6'2" and 210. Now, we know that you are risk adverse, as you told me, which means primarily that you do very little that is interesting, I cannot imagine living a life without taking substantial personal and physical risks, frequently. That alone, means you and your thinking has little interest or credibility with myself, or with anyone else who actually lives life.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the
intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body,

but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

Old 03-05-2012, 02:40 PM

Quote:
... and opine that there is no need to remove one's self entirely from society to escape its vampiric, succubuscience (cool new word there!).
This sort of sentiment, I believe, is rooted either in personal arrogance (I can't beat it) or a lack of appreciation for how deeply propaganda is embedded in mass societies.

First though I should correct my previous statement, no adult that has grow up in a mass society can remove himself from propaganda. He was raised on it, its a part of his very being. As far as removing yourself from recent propaganda, that can only be achieved by removing all its sources but that effectively removes you from society. Those that believe they can escape it while being exposed are simply feeding on one sort while ignoring another, after all identifying propaganda when you've already got an opposing sort "installed" isn't a difficult matter...it happens by definition. For example, the liberals that think they are clever because they are able to recognize fox news as propaganda.....all while dining on a different sort every night on their computer, iphone, etc.

Old 03-05-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
I am 6'2" and 210.
And unless you're a body-builder that is indeed overweight, though by American standards its "normal".

Funny that you post pictures of other people though....

Quote:
imagine living a life without taking substantial personal and physical risks, frequently.
Fortunately my live is not defined by your lack of imagination.

Old 03-05-2012, 03:02 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,171,154 times
Quote:

Nao - Thriller - YouTube
For what it's worth, we've got a Singularity thread going here: Why hasn't the Singularity gone mainstream (yet?)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California